• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you "flaunt" your religion?

Onyx

Premium Member
Explain why and how you "flaunt" your religion, or why you don't.

"Flaunting" might include clothes, jewelry, tattoos, proseltyzing, praying in public, etc. Anything that makes your preference known to the world, no matter how subtle or blatant.

Feel free to include stories. Did your outward expression make a difference in the world? Were people nice? Were they mean? Did you meet like-minded people?

Why I dont flaunt: I decided a long time ago that it was in my best interest to keep to myself, and I've found that an unassuming appearance works to my advantage. Revealing my views to friends and family would cause trouble and take away from my enjoyment of life.

GoodbyeDave

Every morning I go down from my apartment to the garden to empty my libation bowl onto the ground. I don't remember anyone asking me what I'm doing (English reserve!) but I'd be happy to explain. Similarly, the window-cleaner sees my altar, but asks no questions.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I don't think about being an atheist all that much; I would never think of connecting it to outward presentation - and I wouldn't know how to go about flaunting it if I did.

rusra02

Premium Member
I don't like the word flaunt, and believe it has negative definitions. I believe true Christians will happily and zealously share their faith in God and his Son. This includes preaching publicly. They take to heart such Scriptures as Romans 10:13,14) "For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” However, how will they call on him if they have not put faith in him? How, in turn, will they put faith in him about whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach?"

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I am almost never without wearing a hammer pendant. If I wear a pullover or t shirt I wear it outside. If I wear an open collar shirt, it may or may not be visible depending on which chain or lanyard I wear it on. Part of my prayers in the morning are "... and may I be worthy to wear this hammer, and may I wear it proudly". When someone asks me about it I tell them what it is and what it means. That is the extent of any show of my faith.

Akivah

I always have to remind people to order pizzas for our company without meat on them. More people know I'm kosher and will point out which dishes in our 'bring-your-own' have pork in them. I also let people know which Jewish holiday is currently going on.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

"Flaunting" might include clothes, jewelry, tattoos, proseltyzing, praying in public, etc. Anything that makes your preference known to the world, no matter how subtle or blatant.

Feel free to include stories. Did your outward expression make a difference in the world? Were people nice? Were they mean? Did you meet like-minded people?

Why I dont flaunt: I decided a long time ago that it was in my best interest to keep to myself, and I've found that an unassuming appearance works to my advantage. Revealing my views to friends and family would cause trouble and take away from my enjoyment of life.

I have high respect for Muslim and Catholic devotion; and, in some, their way of expressing their faith both in their house of worship and outside. My personality and my faith go hand in hand. I can't separate the two. I thought I wanted to be a nun; that isn't my personality. I'm more of a free minded and open person in regards to religion and other aspects of my life.

With that said, I do "flaunt" or express my religion openly. I wear a pentacle pinky ring. My christian co-worker asked why I wore it (it's a demonic symbol to her) and what it meant. With apprehension, I told her it holds many meanings one of which is that connection that my mother has because she has the same ring. Also, the elements of the earth. It didn't work out well. She didn't ask about my faith, just tolerated the answer.

We have prayer rooms in each campus of our college. It was originally meant for Muslims; but, the school made it into a prayer room based on discrimination issues. I pray there sometimes.

In public, public, other than my pentacle, I have no other attire. If I do, it would be a hijab. Not the long ones, but the ones that go under the long scarf. White for full moon and black for new. People are confused but no one has asked me in honesty what my practice is and what I believe. It's taboo, evil, et cetera to them.

The thing is, I am religious; and, my religion is not extravegant. It is not like when I was Catholic and loved going to Church to just pray. It's more free spirited. It's "I do this now" and maybe I do that another time. It's not constricted.

So do I flaunt my faith? I do. Most of the time, people won't recognize it. Praying to the sun at the bus stop and prayer gestures when the sun goes down just makes people tilt their head and keep going. I used to do full rituals outside our apartment complex in nice weather. Our complex is a community owned by the Church. Most residents are christian from protestant to catholic. So, I get one extreme: a nod, a smile, and a "as long as you are praying" type of thing. On the other extreme, I have one Catholic who gave me our Church's news bulletin, and looked me in the eye and said "go to confession."

While my two Jehovah Witness friends asked me about my Buddhist views and Pagan practice, the other was more inquisitive as to why and how I don't believe in god.

So it depends. Especially in this area. When I go in the city, people literally don't care. I've seen people flaunt their beliefs more than I do. They receive an "exotic" hospitality where someone like me more demonic.

I guess it's all alright given how we think over here.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

I'm a Jew, and I live my life as such.
I cover my head (typically with a kippah), keep kosher (including at the office), and observe Shabbat and holidays. I occasionally wear a star of David necklace, but it is usually under my shirt.

Some people resent the fact that I leave on Friday afternoon in order to be home at the beginning of Shabbat or that I take off my holidays.
I get snide remarks from time to time when I refuse to go out with the group for lunch or when I turn down something that someone has brought in.
I get nods and "hello's" from random people in our building who I'll then see at the local kosher pizza place.

I don't do it for any particular reason; I'm an observant Jew, and this is how I live. I do think that it is important that we not lose sight of who we are in the modern world or make concessions because it's what society "demands". And if my doing it helps someone else find a way to incorporate some of it in their lives as well, then that's even better.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
I really don't like calling it "flaunting" because of the negative connotation it carries, but I by no means hide my faith. It's an important part of who I am, and I'm not afraid to express it.

"Flaunting" might include clothes, jewelry,

I do wear various religious jewelry items on a daily basis, some pieces more obvious than others.

praying in public

I never practice my faith in public. When I pray or do a ritual I want to be in a place that I feel comfortable in and I prefer to be alone. I have on occasion meditated in public areas such as one of the lawns on campus where people sit on nice days, and I do sometimes do religious study in public places in the form of reading a book or taking notes, but this is as close as I come to public practice.

Anything that makes your preference known to the world, no matter how subtle or blatant.

I am actually shameless about letting my faith inspire me in class if it's appropriate. This is the only time I would call it flaunting, and it's more flaunting knowledge than anything else. This semester three classes have lent themselves to this kind of subtle expression.
One class I'm taking involves reading a lot of mythology including the Odyssey, parts of the Old and New Testaments, the Quran, and Gilgamesh. In this class I've gotten the chance to not only explain to my peers what invocation is and the characteristics of some gods, but I also got to express my confusion in some aspects of Christianity without ridicule and even tie ancient Pagan/Christian relations to modern Pagan/Christian relations in papers.
Another class of mine had a short witchcraft unit, and well, lets say I ended up rambling a bit one day. I got a nervous smile from my professor and the girl sitting next to me for knowing anything about modern magic. Oops.
The last class where my faith subtly came up is my religion and constitutional law class. I was one of two minorities in the class, the other being a Jewish girl (me and her often spoke up "as someone of a minority faith"), and although I never blatantly said I was a Pagan, I'd be surprised if nobody caught on based on the kind of examples I'd give.

Did your outward expression make a difference in the world? Were people nice? Were they mean? Did you meet like-minded people?

Back in high school I used to be the subject of many (pretty nasty) rumors, many surrounding the little pentagram necklace I liked to wear. Interestingly enough, as much as I like to express my faith in public, I will rarely actually admit to being Pagan unless someone blatantly asks in a one-on-one situation. I've tried to anonymously out myself on campus-based social media (yik-yak, shush), which only lead to a whole length of hateful comments. Kids are brutal, so I guess I'll be keeping it to myself for a few more years.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Nope, I don't. I prefer to let people get to know me and then discover what my religion is after they've already formed an opinion of me. For instance, when my husband and I go on cruises, and there is assigned seating at dinner, everyone at the table introduces themselves at the first night's meal. If the others at the table share where they're from, we do, too. If they don't, we don't either. The conversation then expands to hobbies and interests and, since everyone in the group enjoys traveling, to the places we all have traveled and plan to travel. As soon as we mention (if we do) that we're from Salt Lake City, you can almost see the wheels start to turn in everybody's brains. "I bet they're Mormons! Wow! Real Mormons! I wonder what these two are really going to be like." Before the cruise is over, they've usually figured it out and are the ones to mention Mormonism. We never do. When we don't order drinks, that clues a lot of people in. So, I guess you could say that we "flaunt our religion" by what we don't do, but that's not our intention. It's always kind of entertaining to see their responses when we say, "Yeah, we're Mormons." By the time they come right out and ask us, their response is almost like, "Wow. You guys seem pretty normal." :p

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The funny thing about being a Druid is that if you flaunt your religion, nobody notices (or rather, nobody recognizes it as religious). In fact, I can openly flaunt my religion on the job, need to do that to perform the duties of my job, and nobody notices or recognizes it as religious. It amuses me terribly.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No. Not in any way at all, but if someone discovers it in some odd way, I won't hide it either.
Nope, I don't. I prefer to let people get to know me and then discover what my religion is after they've already formed an opinion of me. For instance, when my husband and I go on cruises, and there is assigned seating at dinner, everyone at the table introduces themselves at the first night's meal. If the others at the table share where they're from, we do, too. If they don't, we don't either. The conversation then expands to hobbies and interests and, since everyone in the group enjoys traveling, to the places we all have traveled and plan to travel. As soon as we mention (if we do) that we're from Salt Lake City, you can almost see the wheels start to turn in everybody's brains. "I bet they're Mormons! Wow! Real Mormons! I wonder what these two are really going to be like." Before the cruise is over, they've usually figured it out and are the ones to mention Mormonism. We never do. When we don't order drinks, that clues a lot of people in. So, I guess you could say that we "flaunt our religion" by what we don't do, but that's not our intention. It's always kind of entertaining to see their responses when we say, "Yeah, we're Mormons." By the time they come right out and ask us, their response is almost like, "Wow. You guys seem pretty normal." :p

This is precisely our approach as well. We have to occasionally let someone know we're vegetarians, but that doesn't even tie into Hinduism very obviously. The name is sometimes a dead giveaway, especially for folks from India. Being white makes it somewhat easier to hide out.

Faronator

Genetically Engineered
I do. Well, I'm not religious but find the topic of religion to be fascinating. Do I flaunt that? Yeah, sort of. I guess I'm the village ******* when it comes to religion and debating its premises.

arthra

Baha'i
When opportunity arises and I'm asked about it I mention my Faith... There's not any specific dress or outfit among Baha'is. Baha'is will commonly wear a ring or perhaps a pendant with what we call the Greatest Name.

Noa

I did when I was young because in the community in which I was raised you were expected to do so. I have never done so as an adult. I don't want people to make negative assumptions of me right away.