• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Feel Your Feelings?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I think one of the difficulties is that we tend to think of our consciousness as singular, when in fact it is 'made' of multiple interacting systems. When my limbic system/amygdala process their information, *I* feel the feelings. When the frontal and prefrontal cortex plans or regulates, *I* am planning and regulating. There isn't a 'special circuit' for consciousness. Instead, it appears that consciousness is the whole shebang: the whole interacting collection.

Memories are retained in a variety of brain systems. Damage to the amygdala, for example, will destroy the ability to form short-term memories. But more complex, long-term memories are often 'stored' in the frontal areas.

In what form, if any, in your opinion/belief, do feelings and emotions transcend death of the human form and the brain? Are the retained as memories of these emotions and feelings, or actual emotions ad feelings? Or are the not retained at all?

(This question and the one in the final paragraph of my preceding post are for anyone to respond to, not just @Polymath257.)

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
In what form, if any, in your opinion/belief, do feelings and emotions transcend death of the human form and the brain? Are the retained as memories of these emotions and feelings, or actual emotions ad feelings? Or are the not retained at all?

(This question and the one in the final paragraph of my preceding post are for anyone to respond to, not just @Polymath257.)

As far as I can tell, there is nothing at all. When the system gets shut down, the information dissipates.

allfoak

Alchemist
When someone throws an insult or some destructive criticism my way, I often say in jest, "You just hurt my feelings...just kidding...I don't have feelings." This reaction likely comes from my learning to not take what others say about me personally.

Of course humans have feelings, but from what part of us do these feelings originate? Are feelings and emotions manifestations of the ego self, the physical self that exists in our earthly forms? Does our higher Self (or spirit/soul) have the ability to feel? Do feelings and emotions manifest from thought or do they exist in consciousness? How much control do we have over changing or adjusting these feelings?

Discuss.
Feeling arise from contrast of some sort and yes, we can think in any manner we please about contrasting circumstances.
Happy, sad or anything in between.
We decide how we will cope with anything in our life, not anyone else.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I know from previous interaction that we use different terms to describe the same thing. Can you refresh my memory on how you are defining "subconscious self" and "conscious self?"

Also, I'm not clear in which you are saying feelings originate. Can you be more specific?

The part of yourself that you are consciously aware of. Your thoughts, your feelings, the part of your current environment which you are aware of I call your conscious self. I estimate about 5% of whats going on with your body and in the environment at any given time. The other 95% although your body is aware of it, you are not aware of. This I consider the subconscious self.

Feelings originate in the subconscious self. Like when you have a physical injury. The subconscious self creates the feeling of pain and perhaps fear to direct you focus to the problem.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Of course humans have feelings, but from what part of us do these feelings originate?
The life-force, the soul communicates to the mind (brain). I of course don't have proof for this.
How much control do we have over changing or adjusting these feelings?
Sometimes we don't have control over them. Hypothetical example, when your love interest of four years has been cheating on you for that duration of time and they just now get around to telling you it would be hard to keep myself in check. Or, when a person has been a hard steady worker at a factory for 40 years and they get laid off because our industry sucks it would be hard to not feel some kind of anger.