• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Feel Your Feelings?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
When someone throws an insult or some destructive criticism my way, I often say in jest, "You just hurt my feelings...just kidding...I don't have feelings." This reaction likely comes from my learning to not take what others say about me personally.

Of course humans have feelings, but from what part of us do these feelings originate? Are feelings and emotions manifestations of the ego self, the physical self that exists in our earthly forms? Does our higher Self (or spirit/soul) have the ability to feel? Do feelings and emotions manifest from thought or do they exist in consciousness? How much control do we have over changing or adjusting these feelings?

Discuss.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
As I see it, feelings and emotions, like thoughts, are an aspect of how our brains work. They are another way the brain processes information and primes us to respond to our environment. In particular, they are quite good at perceiving social threats (whether real or imagined).

We can control our reactions to such feelings and emotions and override the priming. Part of being civilized is being able to do this overriding effectively.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting question. I'm not sure exactly where feelings come from, although looking over my own life, things that might have hurt my feelings when I was age 10 wouldn't even faze me today. I might say that I've "grown a thick skin" over the years, although to be honest, I'm not sure how. I suspect that it's something that might be learned, as opposed to being inherent from birth.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Interesting question. I'm not sure exactly where feelings come from, although looking over my own life, things that might have hurt my feelings when I was age 10 wouldn't even faze me today. I might say that I've "grown a thick skin" over the years, although to be honest, I'm not sure how. I suspect that it's something that might be learned, as opposed to being inherent from birth.

I believe that "thick skin" is mostly people consciously or subconsciously realizing that they have the power to pick and choose exactly how they want to feel at any given time.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Child development studies indicate that the human personality is fragmented when we are very small, and it does not unify to its maximum unity ever. Each person is formed differently, and so the emotions act like separate intelligences. I tend to feel hurt not right away but somewhat after the fact, unless the offense is plain; however certain things make me angry quickly. Fear is quite overwhelming but can be trained. My compassion has its own set of rules, as does my sadness. Some people are smart with their feelings and can even anticipate them, delay them, speed them up, transform them or do other tricks with them. Others get stuck if they try to manipulate them, kind of like getting an eye stuck up in one's head. I have gotten better with them over time, but in general I have 'Baby' feelings. They just poop and have to be cleaned. They don't do anything useful except for the occasional gush of compassion or worry, but worry is the worst emotion, ever. If you can control your worries you can probably control most of your other feelings.

David T

Premium Member
As I see it, feelings and emotions, like thoughts, are an aspect of how our brains work. They are another way the brain processes information and primes us to respond to our environment. In particular, they are quite good at perceiving social threats (whether real or imagined).

We can control our reactions to such feelings and emotions and override the priming. Part of being civilized is being able to do this overriding effectively.
Obviously your normal.

David T

Premium Member
When someone throws an insult or some destructive criticism my way, I often say in jest, "You just hurt my feelings...just kidding...I don't have feelings." This reaction likely comes from my learning to not take what others say about me personally.

Of course humans have feelings, but from what part of us do these feelings originate? Are feelings and emotions manifestations of the ego self, the physical self that exists in our earthly forms? Does our higher Self (or spirit/soul) have the ability to feel? Do feelings and emotions manifest from thought or do they exist in consciousness? How much control do we have over changing or adjusting these feelings?

Discuss.

Of course humans have feelings, but from what part of us do these feelings originate
The UNCONSCIOUS!!!!!! where the hell does sexual feelings arise from.? The way outside the borders of civilization out in the abyss called random chaos in science and divine puppet master in religion. Nature is the big dog in all of this, and culturally, science and religion are absolutely screwed in regards to that, no matter how culture attempts to bookify it. "I believe, I dont believe, I am agnostic, are clueless childish idiots lost in books in context to the unconscious. It's not dead.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Discuss.
Emotions would come from the three guna-s: Satva, Rajas and Tamas.. which belong to sphere of Prakriti.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Discuss.

I see it as the manner in which the subconscious mind communicates to the conscious self.

Desire, pain, fear, love, anger. It is a way for the subconscious self to direct the focus of the conscious self.

It's an interface so that when there is a problem, the subconscious self can direct our focus to fixing the problem.

Once we fix the problem, we are rewarded with positive feelings. Where we haven't fixed the problem, negative feelings.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Discuss.

From what I gather, feelings are interpretations of external stimuli that we relate to say if we are in danger, we feel threatened and tighten up. If we have affection, we feel appreciated and loved (a natural bonding). Its sociatal intepretations of internal (thoughts that cause emotions) and external (someome yelling at you) that make you judge whether you are in danger, youre safe, etc.

Emotions/feelings dont come from ego. We develop ego based on how our society defines what is pride and what is not. Soul/heart is a unified holistic feeling that is associated with clarity and awareness of ones being without attachment.

Consciousness is what we take in from stimuli. We cause our feelings if they reach further to our subconscious. If we can catch it at our conscious level, the purpose is to safe gaurd ones nature from stimuli. It doesnt create something its against.

We have the ability to control. Depending on where we lived, raised, and our beliefs makes it hard to actualize thst without contributing it to an outside party.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Strictly speaking, I believe our physical body has no capacity to 'feel'. It is just atoms and electrons following natural law. The capacity to feel and think reside in our interpenetrating higher bodies (astral and mental).

ajay0

Discuss.

Here is a saying by Eckhart Tolle for perspective...

Ego generated emotions are derived from the mind's identification with external factors which are of course, all unstable and liable to change at any moment. The deeper emotions are not really emotions at all but states of Being. Emotions exist within the realm of opposites. States of Being can be obscured, but they have no opposite. They emanate from within you as the love, joy, and peace that are aspects of your true nature. – Eckhart Tolle

Hence the true feelings are love, joy, peace and bliss which emanate from the Self or Being.

The others are just transient emotions or likes and dislikes, that emerge from similarly transient and conceptual belief systems and thoughts.

atanu

Premium Member

Of course humans have feelings, but from what part of us do these feelings originate? Are feelings and emotions manifestations of the ego self, the physical self that exists in our earthly forms?

A man in deep sleep is ever in bliss. Problems begin in dream or in waking, along with the rise of ego self. Emotions are infinite manifestations of binary 'Like' and 'Hate' of ego self.

Does our higher Self (or spirit/soul) have the ability to feel?

It is said that the higher self is tasting all the flavours through the tongues of lower selves. The higher self is never forgetful.

Do feelings and emotions manifest from thought or do they exist in consciousness?

Root of emotions is in likes and aversions of ego self, which however is supported by consciousness.

How much control do we have over changing or adjusting these feelings?
Discuss.

Who are we?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I gather from your response that you are concluding that feelings and emotions are produced in the brain.

With regard to control, what part of us (or more specifically, what part of the brain) gives us the ability to override this priming. What makes one civilized?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I see it as the manner in which the subconscious mind communicates to the conscious self.

Desire, pain, fear, love, anger. It is a way for the subconscious self to direct the focus of the conscious self.

It's an interface so that when there is a problem, the subconscious self can direct our focus to fixing the problem.

Once we fix the problem, we are rewarded with positive feelings. Where we haven't fixed the problem, negative feelings.

I know from previous interaction that we use different terms to describe the same thing. Can you refresh my memory on how you are defining "subconscious self" and "conscious self?"

Also, I'm not clear in which you are saying feelings originate. Can you be more specific?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I gather from your response that you are concluding that feelings and emotions are produced in the brain.

With regard to control, what part of us (or more specifically, what part of the brain) gives us the ability to override this priming. What makes one civilized?

There are many feedback loops in the brain as well as ways the frontal cortex (the part that plans) can activate or suppress signals from other areas. In particular, the 'higher' brain functions from the frontal and pre-frontal cortex can control which of the 'lower' functions from the limbic system make it to the motor areas where actions are initiated.

The specifics of being civilized are tricky. I'm certainly not suggesting the suppression of emotions is the only aspect, and they certainly should not be suppressed completely--that leads to other unhealthy behaviors. But clearly, being able to control our initial impulses when dealing with others is one aspect of becoming civilized.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
There are many feedback loops in the brain as well as ways the frontal cortex (the part that plans) can activate or suppress signals from other areas. In particular, the 'higher' brain functions from the frontal and pre-frontal cortex can control which of the 'lower' functions from the limbic system make it to the motor areas where actions are initiated.

The specifics of being civilized are tricky. I'm certainly not suggesting the suppression of emotions is the only aspect, and they certainly should not be suppressed completely--that leads to other unhealthy behaviors. But clearly, being able to control our initial impulses when dealing with others is one aspect of becoming civilized.

After reading here, it appears that the limbic system (the thalamus and hypothalamus) are the parts of the brain that the stimuli are received and processed into feeling states. It appears the amygdala is also responsible for evaluating information received in the limbic system.

The article states that the cingulate gyrus is responsible for coordinating and regulating behaviors.

Finally, the article confirms that the frontal lobe is responsible for overriding what is considered socially unacceptable behavior. Therefore, I would conclude that this part of the brain is what makes humans civilized.

From the article:

"The frontal lobe is considered to be the moral center of the brain because it is responsible for advanced decision-making processes. It also plays an important role in retaining emotional memories derived from the limbic system, and modifying those emotions to fit socially accepted norms."

So it would appear, from this article, that emotions and feelings, and the reactions thereof, are products of the brain, and therefore, the ego self. That considered, what are the implications of this on the higher Self (or spirit/soul)? Does It feel? Or does It simply retain the information experienced by the ego self?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
After reading here, it appears that the limbic system (the thalamus and hypothalamus) are the parts of the brain that the stimuli are received and processed into feeling states. It appears the amygdala is also responsible for evaluating information received in the limbic system.

The article states that the cingulate gyrus is responsible for coordinating and regulating behaviors.

Finally, the article confirms that the frontal lobe is responsible for overriding what is considered socially unacceptable behavior. Therefore, I would conclude that this part of the brain is what makes humans civilized.

From the article:

"The frontal lobe is considered to be the moral center of the brain because it is responsible for advanced decision-making processes. It also plays an important role in retaining emotional memories derived from the limbic system, and modifying those emotions to fit socially accepted norms."

So it would appear, from this article, that emotions and feelings, and the reactions thereof, are products of the brain, and therefore, the ego self. That considered, what are the implications of this on the higher Self (or spirit/soul)? Does It feel? Or does It simply retain the information experienced by the ego self?

I think one of the difficulties is that we tend to think of our consciousness as singular, when in fact it is 'made' of multiple interacting systems. When my limbic system/amygdala process their information, *I* feel the feelings. When the frontal and prefrontal cortex plans or regulates, *I* am planning and regulating. There isn't a 'special circuit' for consciousness. Instead, it appears that consciousness is the whole shebang: the whole interacting collection.

Memories are retained in a variety of brain systems. Damage to the amygdala, for example, will destroy the ability to form short-term memories. But more complex, long-term memories are often 'stored' in the frontal areas.