• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you feel comfortable openly expressing yourself on RF?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
If we could implement such a feature that would let you ignore political threads, how many of you would choose to do so? Even just for a limited time.

I'd think about it and am not ready to give a definite answer yet, but would appreciate the feature. But the real reason why is because I don't see the overall bulk of the political threads helping my perceptions, other's perceptions, my perceptions of others, or other's perceptions of me.

So I'd vote yes on the feature myself.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Do you feel comfortable openly expressing yourself. Why or why not?

Sometimes. It depends on the person I'm speaking with. I'm very open with my spirituality. Not so much more things that have to do with other people I care for and myself. I'm debative in nature (if one wants to call me that), so it's hard to share and converse though nothing to loose sleep over.

Has there ever been a time when you haven't felt welcome here, and what do you feel was the reason?

Considering people are from all over the world, have different English proficiencies, disabilities, and overall struggle with thought its hard to be perfect when writing OPs and things of that nature. The backlash on people's language proficiency I see here is very unwelcoming. Insults in general masks as "debate comments". Things like that. In the most general sense of the term, I don't have complaints over RF in general.

Are you part of a particular group that you feel is less welcomed and why?

Not really. LGBTQ isn't really active in the public area. The topic is so sensitive and religious opinions and opinionist tend to be less open to these type topics. I'm not part of any DIRs, so I just live and let live.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
One tricky area is talking about sex in the Sexuality board. I know that if I bring up certain subjects, it will likely cause other members to lose their footing so to speak, most likely, and cause the thread to be moved to a secret board. The consequence of it is if you have a thread moved to a secret board is, that your thread will only be viewable by a smaller public and less likely to get replies.

I second this. This happened on one topic and I just forgot about it.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So you already ignore them, in a way?

Sometimes I read the OP and some of the comments. I see they talk about issues facing humanity as a whole.

They assists my stance of not to be involved in political issues.

I see some people need to have that outlet, so I see it is wise to allow them an outlet. At the same time the moderation of that would be difficult task.

Regards Tony

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes I read the OP and some of the comments. I see they talk about issues facing humanity as a whole.

They assists my stance of not to be involved in political issues.

I see some people need to have that outlet, so I see it is wise to allow them an outlet. At the same time the moderation of that would be difficult task.

Regards Tony
We wouldn't be taking the outlet away, just allowing disinterested and frustrated folks to ignore it.

Daemon Sophic

The moderators have recently been discussing whether members feel welcome on RF. We want to better understand some aspects of our culture here and would appreciate your participation in a brief questionnaire.

Has there ever been a time when you haven't felt welcome here, and what do you feel was the reason?

This thread is for discussion, not debate. Thanks for your participation.
I feel very comfortable expressing my religious and political beliefs on this forum. Also discussing those of others, whether positively or (relatively politely) ;) negatively.

I don’t disclose information about who I am IRL, as I assume y’all are a bunch of credit-robbing pro-hackers, with serial killer tendencies. :p
Plus, word might get around that I hang out with all of you online.:confused:

But seriously, I don’t feel “oppressed”, or otherwise “put down” while discussing topics. People have different opinions, and that is a big part of why I come here: To understand others, and their way(s) of looking at things. :)
Yes. Being an agnostic and political progressive/centrist here means that I am among a large contingent, so that likely helps. As well as having a personality where most things others say just role off anyway. :shrug:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes. Being an agnostic and political progressive/centrist here means that I am among a large contingent, so that likely helps. As well as having a personality where most things others say just role off anyway. :shrug:
If you were of a conservative bent, would you feel the same way?

exchemist

Veteran Member
If we could implement such a feature that would let you ignore political threads, how many of you would choose to do so? Even just for a limited time.
Oh I enjoy the political threads, especially as so many of them are a window on the snake pit of US politics. It's useful for a European to know what's going on and how people are thinking.

And also fun to prod the snakes, once in while, oneself. ;)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I feel very comfortable expressing my religious and political beliefs on this forum. Also discussing those of others, whether positively or (relatively politely) ;) negatively.

I don’t disclose information about who I am IRL, as I assume y’all are a bunch of credit-robbing pro-hackers, with serial killer tendencies. :p
Plus, word might get around that I hang out with all of you online.:confused:

But seriously, I don’t feel “oppressed”, or otherwise “put down” while discussing topics. People have different opinions, and that is a big part of why I come here: To understand others, and their way(s) of looking at things. :)

My hacking is strictly amateur, so clearly you're not talking about me here...

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I believe I would. Perhaps not permanently, but it would be nice at heated times, like election years.

Though, I often see politics spill over into discussions that weren't political in the OP... Not sure how one can really escape it.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I believe I would. Perhaps not permanently, but it would be nice at heated times, like election years.

Though, I often see politics spill over into discussions that weren't political in the OP... Not sure how one can really escape it.

One tricky area would be the Current Events section as the content there is often half political threads and half not.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The moderators have recently been discussing whether members feel welcome on RF. We want to better understand some aspects of our culture here and would appreciate your participation in a brief questionnaire.

Yes. That's why I'm here. The combination of an environment that isn't the 'Wild, wild, west' in terms of posting behaviour, plus religious and political discussion, and humour. Yes, I actually find some people here somewhat amusing.

As for me, I would be ok expressing myself in a more hostile environment anyway. Doesn't bother me much. It just wouldn't be as much fun, past a certain point.

Nah, not really. As an atheist, obviously there are a small number of individuals over the years who wish we weren't here. I get that, to a point. But the vast majority of people are here because of the diversity, including me. Personally, I can't imagine posting on an 'atheist board'.

Nope, not really. I lean slightly left, by US standards, which is a relatively easy space to exist in here. And there are obviously a large number of agnostics and atheists here in general terms, although I don't consider myself part of an atheist 'group'.

I have very occasionally seen posts about leftie and/or Godless mods. Technically I am one, so there might be one or two not fans of me. Hard to believe, I know.

This thread is for discussion, not debate. Thanks for your participation.

Anytime.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Usually yes, except when I make pro-Israel threads or posts. Then I get slammed from different anti-Israel members. At times, retaliation for my posts and threads came in the form of other posts and threads that twisted the meaning of mine. This in turn makes me want to make such posts and threads less and less, knowing that whatever I post about - be it a national holiday, a special event or whatever - will be attacked and/or twisted, even though the subject is naturally important to me.

But other than that, great job on maintaining a mostly-positive atmosphere here! :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Not in one case: Forum Rule 2: Discussion/Dispute of Moderation

And I don't think I can openly express myself any further on this point without getting dinged.

Otherwise, I don't feel inhibited.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I don't feel comfortable expressing myself in the Luciferian DIR because it gets invaded by non-luciferians and will likely become debate. The Theistic Luciferians need their own space, as Luciferianism in general does not condone group worship and the Theistic Luciferians will butt heads with the regular Lucifarians over it. I don't have a problem expressing myself in the general LHP DIR, though.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We wouldn't be taking the outlet away, just allowing disinterested and frustrated folks to ignore it.

Choice is the spice of life. So that would be offering another choice. I do not think I would use it, as I like to keep abreast of what is being offered, even if I choose not to participate.

I do not envy the moderators task in deciding if it is a good move. All the best.

Regards Tony