• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you feel comfortable openly expressing yourself on RF?

danieldemol

Premium Member
I generally feel comfortable posting here at RF, and I suspect some of those who don't feel comfortable of just wanting an echo chamber without the bother of posting in DIR areas

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm fine with everything except politics. There is animosity, division and myopic views. A lack of tolerance in political views which there seems plenty of tolerance of religious views.

I try to avoid getting drawn into political discussions, though I still do. It might be nice to be able to select the categories of new threads we get notified of.
Thanks for your response @Nakosis . Its really helpful.

Politics is a very broad topic. Did you have in mind a specific area of politics such as North American politics or politics generally? How uncomfortable are you expressing your personal political perspectives?

nPeace

Veteran Member
The moderators have recently been discussing whether members feel welcome on RF. We want to better understand some aspects of our culture here and would appreciate your participation in a brief questionnaire.

Do you feel comfortable openly expressing yourself. Why or why not?

Has there ever been a time when you haven't felt welcome here, and what do you feel was the reason?

Are you part of a particular group that you feel is less welcomed and why?

This thread is for discussion, not debate. Thanks for your participation.
I personally don't believe it is a matter of feeling welcomed, as I don't believe anyone comes on a debate forum, with the idea that the must feel welcome. However, this is my view, as I cannot speak for others.

Do I feel comfortable openly expressing myself. Why or why not?
I don't usually worry about expressing myself, as I don't feel like I have any reason not to.
However, I don't feel comfortable expressing myself to a few religious people, because I get the impression that it is not acceptable to express a different view, especially if using a source of reference supporting that view.

What I find interesting about that, is that it's not that you did not say, I feel / think / believe, because 1) the one you are speaking to, is saying "A B C is the case", and 2) you are saying, "according to this source A B C".

I normally don't have that problem with Atheist, or skeptics, because they will, argue their point, but they don't behave as if you have no right to say something contrary to what they believe.
Of course they will call you all manner of ill - ignorant, uneducated.... (the ones who get really abusive usually gets put on my ignore list) but one can get used to being called ignorant, when one realizes why they feel that way. I think some people are ignorant too. Each one of us is ignorant about something. That's not a big deal.
To me that is better than wanting to restricting another persons speech to something agreeable.

I have never felt unwelcome, nor have I felt that my group is not welcomed.
People just have different opinion / feelings / beliefs. so it is expected that not everyone will like you, or agree with you.
That's life. We cannot change that fact.

Can I say one last thing. I think some people take offense quite easily, and in my opinion, for no good reason.
Throughout my years as an minister of the good news, this is behavior pattern that reveals a lot about a person. It's usually a good indicator to me. ..
I don't think there is a need to take offence when someone has not insulted you... like calling you a monkey.
People on these forums have called me an animal. I could ... in fact I should feel insulted... "How dare you." :mad: but why take offense? Does not the scriptures say, "The taking of offense lies in the bosom of the stupid one"?
I just tell them, "I am not an animal. If you are happy to be one, go your way rejoicing". :)

nPeace

Veteran Member
Do you feel comfortable openly expressing yourself. Why or why not? Most of the times, but since I'm also a mod I have to be extra careful and make sure I follow the rules. Ths business of giving a good example is hard sometimes :oops:

Has there ever been a time when you haven't felt welcome here, and what do you feel was the reason?
Some participants make me less at ease with their unkind comments and quick judgements, but that's on an individual basis and has nothing to do with RF itself.

Are you part of a particular group that you feel is less welcomed and why? JW are frequently judged based on information that is not accurate, rumors and misinformation. It makes me sad but that comes with the territory. Being different in this world always comes at a cost.
I didn't know how to rate your post. It was informative, and I liked it, but I think it was mostly informative. So... :)

Reactions: Vee

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Yes. If I couldn't then I wouldn't be here. The rules and moderation seem reasonable in their aims.

No. It's not an echo chamber so it's not always going to be a love-in. :kiss:

If I'm in a group I'm unaware of it. Opinions my own, as they say.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes, i feel comfortable here, simply because i only respond to threads i am confident of my comments. I sometimes have to throttle back for fear of breaking rules, and it seems that too often i don't throttle back far enough, sorry about that mods.

Erebus

On the whole, I'm more open to expressing myself on RF than anywhere else online. Obviously there are things I won't talk about (I'm not telling any of you where I hid the bodies) but that's to be expected.

I would rather share my views and thus open them up to criticism on RF than on Facebook for example. I'll talk about a wide range of topics here, including some fairly personal stuff. Elsewhere, I use social media and forums solely for talking about specific hobbies.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Yes, i feel comfortable here, simply because i only respond to threads i am confident of my comments. I sometimes have to throttle back for fear of breaking rules, and it seems that too often i don't throttle back far enough, sorry about that mods.
Thanks. I was going to rate your post , but I did not want to break any rules. ;)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
The moderators have recently been discussing whether members feel welcome on RF. We want to better understand some aspects of our culture here and would appreciate your participation in a brief questionnaire.

Feel very comfortable and am completely open. Doesn't matter if someone doesn't like my positions or my faith. It is a free country (which I am happy we live it) - so far. It may end up not so much a free country. :D

EDIT:

And I don't mind other people thoughts and opinions - don't like it though when they put words in my mouth :)

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member

I feel completely comfortable expressing myself on this forum, but then I am not part of a group that is made to feel unwelcome. Of course there are some groups with a degree of antipathy towards people like me, but that's to be expected.

I'm of an age now at which I care more what I think of other people than I care what they think of me. I recall reaching that crossover point around the age of 40 - and very liberating it was.;)

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
On the whole, I'm more open to expressing myself on RF than anywhere else online. Obviously there are things I won't talk about (I'm not telling any of you where I hid the bodies) but that's to be expected.

Reminds me of an Italian elderly man whose son was in jail. The dad sent a letter, "Son, I so miss you and more-so now that it is springtime. I miss when we would break the ground together for a spring planting and I'm getting older, so it's becoming harder".

He received a letter from his son, "DAD, DON'T DIG UP THE BACK YARD, IT IS WHERE THE BODIES ARE AT".

Two days later, the law enforcement came and dug up the whole back yard... but found nothing.

Another letter from the son came in two days later. "Dad, I hope I helped you dig up the ground. It was the best I could do in light of correct situation."

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If we could implement such a feature that would let you ignore political threads, how many of you would choose to do so? Even just for a limited time.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I feel about as comfortable here as I do in real life, which isn't very comfortable. I dislike getting people angry, so often will hold back on my views somewhat. It's much harder to read from words on a screen than it is in real life. There are many personal things I won't talk about at all here. My professional association had a code of conduct that most teachers tried to abide by. That is mirrored here by the rules.

I'm not sure what can be changed, or of the purpose of the moderators looking at this.