• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you celebrate xmas?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
In the past I've been asked by those friends of mine who know that I am a practicing Satanist, "Do you celecbrate Christmas?" I personally do as a form of Indulgence. To indulge in the company of family and friends, food, and giving and receiving presents.

When I first self-converted to Satanism when I was 14-years old back in 1984, xmas time was for me personally a sort of a struggle. During this time of year back then I would begin to feel guilty and struggle with the temptation to re-convert back to xtianity. I always overcame this "temptation" because I knew that xtianity was not me. Of course over the next couple of years I began to realize that it was purely psychological instead of it being God trying to "call me back into the fold".

When I was 18 I finally realized that my transition was complete - I was a Satanist, a follower of the Left-Hand Path, and I finally proclaimed my eternal allegiance to the Lord of Darkness. Being a LHPather is by no means easy, sometimes it can be a very lonely path, but I accepted a long time ago the pleasure and pain of unique existence. Through all the trials and tribulations I've been through in my life there have been times when I questioned my Sacred Oath, but never once have I nor will I ever betrayed it. We must be true to ourselves rather than live a lie, we must Know Our Self and act upon that knowlege.
And they say we've taken the easy way out - LOL!!!

Forever in the Ebon Flame!
/Adramelek\

Erebus

I get asked the same question a lot too. I always tell people pretty much the same thing you do. Due to university, when I see my family it's usually only quite fleeting and we don't really spend time together properly. Christmas gives us the chance to simply forget about our troubles for a couple of days and enjoy each others company over some good food and drink.
I don't join in with any Christian elements of Christmas as I'm perfectly happy to think of Christmas as being a time to relax, enjoy yourself and spend time with your family.

Naya

Somnio, ergo existo.
I celebrate Emperor Norton's birthday. Since no record is known of his birth (much like Baby Jesus), I decided to place it on a convenient day which happens to coincide with a heretical holiday that the rest of the people in my part of the world celebrate. (Much like the Catholic church did originally.) And since it's a birthday, you can celebrate, give gifts, feast and make merry with friends and family.

I'm a rather odd LHP'er, though. :)

Naya

Somnio, ergo existo.
Thank you. This looks like a very nice forum where I can get into some good discussion.

I tend to enjoy a lot of Discordian goodness in my style. The silly and playful is important to me - laughter is one of my favorite ways to know I'm alive.

For me, redefining this holiday for myself was an important step in breaking free of all of that which is expected of me, and instead celebrating my life the way I see fit. Many of my Pagan homies celebrate Yule (I have recently turned away from my Wiccan roots, evolving beyond them), my family celebrates Christmas. I enjoy shopping for the holidays, too and doing all that holiday stuff... but, on my own terms.

As a result, I chose to celebrate another individual who lived life on his own terms, and whose date of birth is conveniently not known.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Dear Lady Naya:

As I see it all LHPers are odd/unique. I know I am. In high school my nickname was "Devil". Back then I used to done black attire most of the time along with an inverted cross. I remember one day this really cute girl asked me "Who are you supposed to be?" I simply answered "My Self." About a month later we became a couple, though she was more into Wiccan practices rather than Satanism, but again, we must always be true to ourselves.

BTW, what is Promethean Magic? I'm intrigued.

/Adramelek\

blackout

Violet.
I decided to go with Yule this year.

It seems to be working for me.
(in both traditional and my own bizarre ways)

Honestly I'm tired of being a christmas curmudgeon.
I am simply unable to connect with x-mas in any way. :shrug:

haha...Naya made me just realize
I bought alot of apples for tomorrow,
with caramel and a candy apple kit, pecans.
Lots of Apple Cider as well.
Anyway I should read the kids the story of Eris and the Apple
from the Principia Discordia while they eat their apples. lol

I'm making a huge Yule soup tonight.
Bought mySelf a HUGE stainless steel pot for almost $50.

After all, What witch doesn't have a quality cooking pot?!

I have no fireplace, so I started a You'll Log on the night of Solstice. ;)
(or a you'Will Log (or an "I Will" log).
A daily journal to record my Self BEcoming for the year.

Us LHPers are all odd/unique I agree.
It just goes with the terrain of the empowered Will of Self Design.

Last edited:

Naya

Somnio, ergo existo.
I don't know a lot of LHP'ers other than on message forums - but my dearest friend in the world is LHP, and she's one of the most beautiful and unique people I have ever known. So, I am -very- pleased to see this attitude reflected in others, too. :)

Promethean Magic... it's a work in progress. Perpetual progress. See, I recently evolved beyond a 16 year old practice of Wicca (while constantly exploring EVERY other thing I could get my hands on.) It sounds a bit like a "duh" moment, but it occurred to me, "I don't like using other peoples' words and ideas, and trying my damndest to get them to fit into my own world view. Screw this, I'm going to make my own." Actually, I have a lot of this attitude in my life - I didn't like wearing other people's clothing designs, so I taught myself to sew. I didn't like other peoples' artwork on my walls, so I make my own. I don't like other people's words and ideas in my magic, so I make my own.

And that DIY ethic is at the core of what I have decided to call "Promethean." I wanted a label for it, something that is meaningful to me. Prometheus is an incredibly powerful figure to me. He (as a force of nature - I am theistic, but in a very abstract way) gave humans fire, is how the story goes. More to the point, he gave humans the ability to control fire. He gave them the ability to harness and direct energy.

In other words, he gave them technology.

Humans are pretty frail, have no strong claws, natural camouflage, or other evolutionary advantages (besides that thumb, of course.) But our primary advantage is the power of the mind that our species has. It is through controlling fire, literally, that humans were able to develop this large brain:

livescience.com/culture/080811-brain-evolution.html

More than that, though, the ability to control energy gave us the ability to build better tools, better buildings, better transportation, better factories, better computers, better spaceships, and so on... It is no wonder that the gods of Olympus were none too pleased - Prometheus gave humans a means to be Gods, themselves.

So, bringing it back around to what my consort and I are developing - we are researching many many different magical, religious, and spiritual writings, and looking for those parts of them that are important, meaningful, and useful in developing the self. Through this, we are gaining an understanding of an underlying paradigm - that which makes magic work. As we seek to understand that, we write out workings, rituals, and exercises which all aim to develop these gifts from Prometheus.

The focus, though, is in the process of writing it - the process of deeply examining your OWN view of reality, and creating a set of workings that are specific to you. Your words, your voice, your symbols, your imagery, and so on. No two peoples' sets of rituals and workings should look alike.

The journey of doing this, though, has been difficult, as well it should be. I think of one symbol that I want to use in a ritual, and I go research the heck out of it to make sure I fully understand it, and make sure it is exactly right. My consort and I are examining the ideas of ways to create sacred space right now, for example, and we are going to use the four elements, and add two more - up and down - the future and the past - the dreams and the ancestors - to cast a sphere instead of the usual circle that most people work in. That sort of stuff.

Anyhow, right now, I'm doing a LOT of thinking into these concepts - rewriting everything based on my own observations.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Hi Lady Naya:

Your approach to Magic is actually what it's all about. Creating your own formulae and ideas and techniques. There is a saying that the Magic of another is an insult to the Self. I always felt that we all have our own unique individual Truth deep within us. Our Task as Magicians is to uncover this Truth and to Become it. So, in my opinion, your on the Left track.

Prometheus is an ideal role model, and is, to me, a reflection of the Dark One who infused within humanity what some call the Gift of his/Its own essence, the Black Flame which transformed us from the rest of the animal kingdom into that which we are today. A metaphysical species able to reason, to create and innovate, to comprehend, to know, and to understand. As I see it the Dark Lord is mankinds true Creator. The Great Benefactor who freed our minds and will.

Keep up the good Work. In the Promethean Flame!
/Adramelek\

imaginaryme

As for being sinister, I see myself as evil and Gwynnie as good; I'm something of an "evil taoist," perhaps; though I call myself an anarchist. Happy Horus Day! :D

Naya

Somnio, ergo existo.
Hi Lady Naya:

Your approach to Magic is actually what it's all about. Creating your own formulae and ideas and techniques. There is a saying that the Magic of another is an insult to the Self. I always felt that we all have our own unique individual Truth deep within us. Our Task as Magicians is to uncover this Truth and to Become it. So, in my opinion, your on the Left track.

That saying is EXACTLY what I needed to hear. Thank you!

Prometheus is an ideal role model, and is, to me, a reflection of the Dark One who infused within humanity what some call the Gift of his/Its own essence, the Black Flame which transformed us from the rest of the animal kingdom into that which we are today. A metaphysical species able to reason, to create and innovate, to comprehend, to know, and to understand. As I see it the Dark Lord is mankinds true Creator. The Great Benefactor who freed our minds and will.

Keep up the good Work. In the Promethean Flame!
/Adramelek\

Thank you. And the more I ponder along these thoughts, the more I agree.

The story of Prometheus reminds me of a parallel track in the Bible.

The serpent in the Garden of Eden offered Adam and Eve knowledge of good and evil. I see that whole story as a metaphor for growing up - once you no longer accept what your parents tell you is right and wrong, and start thinking for yourself, it's time for you to leave the safety of the Garden and go out and get a job (which was the punishment from God for doing so.) If God had his way, humans would remain ignorant children forever, safe and happy, but ultimately not realizing their true potential, hidden away in the Garden. It was the serpent - the Devil - who pushed them to grow up.

For a person who enjoys both the suffering and the triumphs of leading her own life and calling her own shots, the serpent is very much the hero of that story. To those who would prefer to stay safe and be cared for by someone else, I can certainly see why the serpent is a frightful thing.

imaginaryme

That saying is EXACTLY what I needed to hear. Thank you!

Thank you. And the more I ponder along these thoughts, the more I agree.

The story of Prometheus reminds me of a parallel track in the Bible.

The serpent in the Garden of Eden offered Adam and Eve knowledge of good and evil. I see that whole story as a metaphor for growing up - once you no longer accept what your parents tell you is right and wrong, and start thinking for yourself, it's time for you to leave the safety of the Garden and go out and get a job (which was the punishment from God for doing so.) If God had his way, humans would remain ignorant children forever, safe and happy, but ultimately not realizing their true potential, hidden away in the Garden. It was the serpent - the Devil - who pushed them to grow up.

For a person who enjoys both the suffering and the triumphs of leading her own life and calling her own shots, the serpent is very much the hero of that story. To those who would prefer to stay safe and be cared for by someone else, I can certainly see why the serpent is a frightful thing.
That's what I'm talking about - without saying a thing. :cool:

My first exposure to actual magicians indicated that it was not for me - I could "see" all types of "dark forces" watching for new-formed apprentices to step up and get drawn into the whirlpool. When my "city of mind" caught on fire last Saturday - I emerged all "master class;" in that being a well-defined self means that others can never "lure me into their darkness." I got my own darkness...

Now, I know things of art, mathematics, and chronology - as forms of straight witchcraft that effect actual reality. I never "served time as an apprentice" because I am merely a vessel. I am a "minion of the avatar of time," who is all "god beyond understanding;" but I call him a little creep... and I'm here just flapping my gums. :D

But I do know whats going on. The Lady above and I find the same symbolism through zero interaction; it's just the coming thing. And I'm going to leave virtuality to be ellenjanuary the artist in the Seattle area - or die. There really ain't no try, there is only do.

Be well.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Did Jesus celebrate his birthday?
Didn't the Jews at that time consider a birthday celebration as idolatry ?

How did Jesus' apostles celebrate Christmas?________________

Although the celebration was not labeled Christmas at that time, it was already in existence as a celebrated pagan festival. - Merry Yule tide?

Where Is God

Creator
I am not a satanist, but I would like to know what it is all about. Anyone one want to message me or tell me here? It sounds interesting.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
I celebrate Emperor Norton's birthday. Since no record is known of his birth (much like Baby Jesus), I decided to place it on a convenient day which happens to coincide with a heretical holiday that the rest of the people in my part of the world celebrate. (Much like the Catholic church did originally.) And since it's a birthday, you can celebrate, give gifts, feast and make merry with friends and family.

I'm a rather odd LHP'er, though. :)

Mere mention of Reverend Norton earns you a frubal from me!!!:D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The only reason I do anything on that day is because my family does, and my mom nags me daily for a Christmas wish list until I finally come up with something. Other than being with family though, and one of the four big meals a year, I don't see a reason to celebrate it.