• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe...

nonbeliever_92

that atheists and non-believers of your religions will got to hell (or an equivalent)? Furthermore, do you believe that their punishment will be eternal?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
that atheists and non-believers of your religions will got to hell (or an equivalent)? Furthermore, do you believe that their punishment will be eternal?

I don't know why you should even think the above could be possibly true...........I could not believe in a God who would judge man in that way.:cover:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Lads. I don't get the persecution complex. Why do you waste even the tiniest part of your time wondering about what those you consider to be headbangers think?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Neither. The path I've chosen is not the only path. I don't believe in hell as a place, but a state of mind. If whatever path you've chosen leads you to a hellish state of mind, then that path is clearly not the right one for you.

Besides, in my beliefs, eventually, EVERYBODY, without exception, will come to realize God.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

Of course not. There is no hell and even the allogorical version described in Hinduism is not said to be eternal. I think that Christianity is the only main religion that believes in an eternal hell. And that isn't even all Christians.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
In a future lifetime. Riverwolf and I follow different paths of Hinduism. We believe in reincarnation.

Though I would like to stress, at this time, that I (don't know about you, Madhuri), do not claim reincarnation is factual, though I do believe in it.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
So an atheist hit by a bus when crossing the road realizes God when exactly?

Eventually could mean a long time. For some, it takes a short amount of time, for others, longer.

If you want an exact time, I cannot give that to you. However, I don't believe theism is a prerequisite for realizing God (as Brahman).

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Though I would like to stress, at this time, that I (don't know about you, Madhuri), do not claim reincarnation is factual, though I do believe in it.

I'm the same. I wouldn't even posit Hinduism or God as factual, though I believe in it.

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
I would contend that my own personal beliefs could never possibly be implemented as a wide-spread religion, but on the assumption that I was proven wrong by experience (and pleasantly surprised), then "my religion" would contend that nothing special happens to you because you are an Atheist or anything else for that matter. If being an Atheist made you live a less than optimal life (had less happiness than you might otherwise would have had; capitalized on less opportunities that you might otherwise have managed to, etc), then I would count that as all the "punishment" one needs to under go wouldn't you? Life is about learning. I consider the destruction of "knowledge" (even you consider it wrong) to be one of the most abhorrent things we can possibly do. I count the destruction of the library of alexandria as one of the most tragic events in human history and I count the systematic elimination of meso-american knowledge (via destruction of artifacts, script, etc) as one of the greatest travesties in human history.

The jury is still out for me on all manner of aspects of the cosmos, and so learning, theorizing, and reasoning out the agencies, actions, mechanisms, structures, essences, etc of the cosmos are something I consider to be a high priority. But would a dying man who disagreed with "my religion" differ from one that did agree? Practically speaking... Nope.

MTF

Last edited:

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I do not believe in either of those. Like riverwolf I believe that hell is a state of mind but I would go ones step further and say that one stays in that state of mind long enough and deeply enough it can become a state of being. Everyone is susceptible to this in different measures but I don't believe the measures are based on what religion or spiritual path you follow or whether you follow one at all. I think it depends more on the individual and their personal strength of mind, body, and soul. I also believe that such a state is not permanent. We create our own hell with our own hands and as such we use those very same hands to destroy it. It's all a matter of making the choice to do so.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member

In this Jew's opinion, there is no hell, at least as such is commonly depicted in western culture.

There is, however, a final Judgment. Let's take a worst case scenario. If a soul is completely evil, that the person treated others with malice and hatred their entire life, atheist or non-believer or believer notwithstanding, then that soul is destroyed. Which is an eternal punishment, even without a place of eternal torture (which is the common concept of hell).

Do you see what I mean? A punishment can be of eternal consequence?

DadBurnett

Instigator
Not to pick at symantics but is there another definition you can put forth for eternity than a reference to time?
S3V3N
I have heard "eternity" spoken of as a "condition" rather than a span of time - as in eternal life could be said to be life with God an not a period of time with God.

OmarKhayyam

I do not believe in either of those. Like riverwolf I believe that hell is a state of mind but I would go ones step further and say that one stays in that state of mind long enough and deeply enough it can become a state of being. Everyone is susceptible to this in different measures but I don't believe the measures are based on what religion or spiritual path you follow or whether you follow one at all. I think it depends more on the individual and their personal strength of mind, body, and soul. I also believe that such a state is not permanent. We create our own hell with our own hands and as such we use those very same hands to destroy it. It's all a matter of making the choice to do so.

I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
Some letter of that After-life to spell:
And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
And answer'd "I Myself am Heav'n and Hell:"

Heav'n but the Vision of fulfill'd Desire,
And Hell the Shadow from a Soul on fire,
Cast on the Darkness into which Ourselves,
So late emerged from, shall so soon expire.

Whathell

Revelation 21:5-8 - Passage*Lookup - New International Version - BibleGateway.com

5. He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."

6. He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7. He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son. 8. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars--their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."