• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe it is possible to experience a state of pure awareness?

Gambit

Do you believe it is possible to experience a state of pure awareness? That is, do you believe it is possible to experience a state of consciousness in which awareness is only aware of itself?

Note: I am not asking you if it is possible to experience self-awareness.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Do you believe it is possible to experience a state of pure awareness? That is, do you believe it is possible to experience a state of consciousness in which awareness is only aware of itself?

A question from the outside looking in. :)

Yes, emphatically. It is possible to experience a state of so-called "pure" awareness. If awareness is aware ONLY of itself that is pretty much the definition of self-realization. My guess is that you are working with a very limited definition of self, correct?

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason

I'm finding this a bit confusing. We begin with awareness of our environment. Proceed to awareness of ourself. Proceed to awareness of our awareness. Proceed to differentiating between awareness of our environmental verses self-awareness. And then remove 1) the awareness of our environment 2) the awareness of ourself 3) the awareness of the awareness of our environment, and are left with only the awareness of our self-awareness, while not actually being aware of ourself?

Gambit

A question from the outside looking in. :)

Yes, emphatically. It is possible to experience a state of so-called "pure" awareness. If awareness is aware ONLY of itself that is pretty much the definition of self-realization. My guess is that you are working with a very limited definition of self, correct?

Self-realization implies self-awareness. You have to be aware of a self in order to realize it. Right?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Self-realization implies self-awareness. You have to be aware of a self in order to realize it.

"Self-realisation" means different things to different people. Some would say it means experiencing no self, some would say true self, some wouldn't express it in terms of self at all. The language here is quite tricky.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

Mystics call it the void. It's pretty intense, not being able to hide anything from oneself, but more than worth it.

Indira

The state of no intention and/or unabridged truth is necessary..no small feat, for the interconnectedness of All to be viewed. Human shortcomings lean towards the path of least resistance so recognizing unity and impermanence is not easily realized.

Indira

"Self-realisation" means different things to different people. Some would say it means experiencing no self, some would say true self, some wouldn't express it in terms of self at all. The language here is quite tricky.
Babel has been taken to an art form..overcome Babel and peace is possible..;)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm finding this a bit confusing. We begin with awareness of our environment. Proceed to awareness of ourself. Proceed to awareness of our awareness. Proceed to differentiating between awareness of our environmental verses self-awareness. And then remove 1) the awareness of our environment 2) the awareness of ourself 3) the awareness of the awareness of our environment, and are left with only the awareness of our self-awareness, while not actually being aware of ourself?
No wonder you're confused...! I enter the void regularly, and I can't sort this out. Why don't you back up a bit - what's the source of your confusion?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
The state of no intention and/or unabridged truth is necessary..no small feat, for the interconnectedness of All to be viewed. Human shortcomings lean towards the path of least resistance so recognizing unity and impermanence is not easily realized.
That sounds more like communion than isolation to me. Perhaps one of us misunderstood the question?

Gambit

Yes. You got it.

Gambit

That's why the question I am asking is a profound one.

Gambit

I'm simply asking if it is possible to experience of state of consciousness in which awareness is aware of ONLY itself.