• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe it is possible to experience a state of pure awareness?

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
No wonder you're confused...! I enter the void regularly, and I can't sort this out. Why don't you back up a bit - what's the source of your confusion?
My confusion is what exactly is the OP asking? You imply the void, which I've looked up. Do I understand you are talking about a mental state in which the mind is confined to nothing but the mind itself? I.e. complete awareness of nothing, other than being aware? If so, does the preclude awareness of the self, which would be something in addition to awareness?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I did not use isolation as a description..where do you see that? I'd agree with you about communion. ;)
In the op. Which is why I suggested one of us misread it. No clue as to which, and perhaps neither.

At any rate, my practice includes both. Does yours as well?

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
Yes. You got it.
In that case I'll try to work through the thought with very old experiences as my background. I found it difficult, though not impossible, to achieve a state of consciousness void of all externals. This state was not possible to maintain more than 5 or 10 minutes. I don't believe i ever achieved a state where I was no longer aware of the distinction between the self and the emptiness. Yet there are two states that followed. First, a state of almost unconsciousness where the awareness itself seemed to become something more primal. So while the nothing and the self no longer seemed to be separate, there really didn't seem to awareness, so much as sensation, though I was in some sense aware. Makes no sense I guess after writing it. Second, is the state in which the self, and all reality, flood back into the emptiness, like air flooding into an opened vacuum. Here the self and the sum of reality become inseparable, and at the same time you are beside yourself. This is literally ecstasy, or standing beside one's self.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
If so, does the preclude awareness of the self, which would be something in addition to awareness?

We usually experience "self" as an awareness of our mental activity, ie awareness of thoughts, feelings, moods and so on. It's possible for that activity to entirely subside for periods of time, in which case there is just awareness of the mind, the "container" of mental activity - analogous to empty space.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
My confusion is what exactly is the OP asking? You imply the void, which I've looked up. Do I understand you are talking about a mental state in which the mind is confined to nothing but the mind itself?
Yes, but awareness is... a function of the mind, not the totality, yes? Others are memory and raw emotion and pure conception and moral awareness and countless others. Whereas the mind is the synergistic whole.

Does that help?

If so, does the preclude awareness of the self, which would be something in addition to awareness?
Perhaps I did misread. Personal variations in vague words......

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
Yes, but awareness is... a function of the mind, not the totality, yes? Others are memory and raw emotion and pure conception and moral awareness and countless others. Whereas the mind is the synergistic whole.

Does that help?
Yes, thanks.
Perhaps I did misread. Personal variations in vague words......
Just more clarification. thanks again.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Yes, but awareness is... a function of the mind, not the totality, yes?

In Buddhism we use a 6-fold classification of consciousness, one for each of the 5 senses and one for mind. So there is eye-consciousness, ear-consciousness through to mind-consciousness as the 6th.
Mind-consciousness is the aspect of consciousness which is internally directed and aware of mind objects like thoughts and feelings - you could call it self-awareness. It's the primary aspect of consciousness in meditative states, when the external senses tend to recede.
It's just one model, but I find it works quite well in understanding the way we experience things.

Gambit

I don't believe i ever achieved a state where I was no longer aware of the distinction between the self and the emptiness. Yet there are two states that followed. First, a state of almost unconsciousness where the awareness itself seemed to become something more primal. So while the nothing and the self no longer seemed to be separate, there really didn't seem to awareness, so much as sensation, though I was in some sense aware. Makes no sense I guess after writing it.

Awareness, self, emptiness, unconsciousness? Perhaps it makes no sense because it is a non-sensory experience.

Second, is the state in which the self, and all reality, flood back into the emptiness, like air flooding into an opened vacuum. Here the self and the sum of reality become inseparable, and at the same time you are beside yourself. This is literally ecstasy, or standing beside one's self.

What exactly do you mean by the "sum of reality?"

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I have experienced awareness without a body, but I have never experienced awareness without anything else. But it is how I imagine the afterlife to be, existing as a soul, pure purity.

I love your question, let me know if you find anything out.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That's why the question I am asking is a profound one.
It is. But superficial in means of describing of what's considered to be a state of pure awareness, by which it's dependency becomes the only requirement by which to answer such a question.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
That's a pretty extraordinary claim. Because it would imply nothing short of "God-consciousness." (Only God can experience all experiences.)
Indeed. At the time my interpretation was that I was being held by the hand of god and shown all of this.

I do not believe I experienced all of reality, only that I experienced the experience of all reality. I believe my experience spanned every neuron and synapse I have.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That's a pretty extraordinary claim. Because it would imply nothing short of "God-consciousness." (Only God can experience all experiences.)
That was actually a common observation by which we experience the entirety or sum of the universe which produces what we are experiencing "as it is".

It answers the op nicely provided we don't miss and obscure the present clarity by overkill.