• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in the death penalty?

Do you believe in the death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 61.4%

• Total voters

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Do I "believe" in the death penalty? Of course I do. There is no doubt that it exists.

Do I support the death penalty? Absolutely not.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Being a Jew, I've heard this song before.

Out of context.

Jews were killed for being Jews. This is wrong.

Would you prefer that Hitler wasn't killed (if he was?) Or his generals taken to court and receiving the death penalty?

I personally believe all people whom are not feeble in the brain department - know that murder is wrong, - and they know the laws, - and thus they have made the CHOICE to be executed when they commit atrocities.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Out of context.

Jews were killed for being Jews. This is wrong.
Actually it's not out of context because the issue I'm referring to is the killing of a person that in reality is not a necessity based on self-defense or the defense of society. Therefore, imo, it is unethical to kill another person if there's a viable alternative, and in a civilized society, there are alternatives.

Would you prefer that Hitler wasn't killed (if he was?) Or his generals taken to court and receiving the death penalty?
Life in prison with no parole is my preference in cases like this.

I personally believe all people whom are not feeble in the brain department - know that murder is wrong, - and they know the laws, - and thus they have made the CHOICE to be executed when they commit atrocities.
Many murders are what the criminologists call "crimes of passion", therefore there are often contributing factors often involving the ultimate victim. Now, this does not excuse the murder, however.

We do have a CHOICE, namely do we want to take a step much like the killer did and unnecessarily kill someone, or do we want to put the killer away whereas he cannot be a menace to society again?

Also, we know very well that people can reform and change their ways, which is one of the base beliefs of the Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Life in prison with no parole is my preference in cases like this.
One of the few exceptions to my otherwise ProLife opinions about capital punishment would include people like Hitler. There are people who can keep causing death and mayhem while firmly prevented from doing it themselves. Those people need to be executed.
Tom

metis

One of the few exceptions to my otherwise ProLife opinions about capital punishment would include people like Hitler. There are people who can keep causing death and mayhem while firmly prevented from doing it themselves. Those people need to be executed.
Tom
I understand and can respect your opinion even though I disagree with it.

BTW, what you have espoused is really more the paradigm that the Israeli's and a great many of my fellow Jews take, namely that the death penalty should be reserved only for those who are involved with multiple or mass murders because they show no respect whatsoever for human life.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
BTW, what you have espoused is really more the paradigm that the Israeli's and a great many of my fellow Jews take, namely that the death penalty should be reserved only for those who are involved with multiple or mass murders because they show no respect whatsoever for human life.
Perhaps you are misunderstanding my position. It isn't about what they did or believed before they were apprehended and imprisoned. It's about what could happen despite them being in prison. Some people, like criminal gang leaders and violent ideologues with a following might inspire or even order yet more murders while in prison.
So, those people could be shot and I'd be OK with it.
Tom

metis

Some people, like criminal gang leaders and violent ideologues with a following might inspire or even order yet more murders while in prison.
So, those people could be shot and I'd be OK with it.
If we allow ourselves to slip into the "what could happen" paradigm and act on it, then maybe we should just start executing people for any crime-- or any violent crime-- or...

We cannot control the future, and the "Jack the Ripper" of today could be the "Mother Theresa" of tomorrow, although some surgery would have to be performed.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If we allow ourselves to slip into the "what could happen" paradigm and act on it, then maybe we should just start executing people for any crime-- or any violent crime-- or...

We cannot control the future, and the "Jack the Ripper" of today could be the "Mother Theresa" of tomorrow, although some surgery would have to be performed.
I totally get what you're saying here. I seriously wrestle with that aspect of the problem.
Similarly, I wrestle with opposing elective abortion in a world that is already dangerously overpopulated.

I struggle with many of my own ProLife beliefs. I try to err on the side of caution when I am contemplating matters of literal life and death. I find myself coming down on the side of "Shoot'em and be done with it" when it seems the alternative is choosing to let them kill and destroy even after they're in prison.
No clear answer :(
Tom