• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

do you believe in past lives?

blackout

Violet.
How can you still be "you",
if you are essentially, practically
and in every other way,
somebody else?

Different biology, different life,
entirely different memories
and experiences.

Unless there is some central processor
that an individual consciousness
can come back to,
to integrate, compare, re'view,
differing life'time experiences,
how can these completely differing people
be considered as a single "you"?

atanu

Premium Member
and in every other way,
somebody else?

and experiences.

can come back to,

Hey. You got me stuck for a moment.

Suppose you are a gold bangle. In that case, you may cease to remain a bangle from time to time. But you still be gold.

Although the above is metaphoric, yet is it not possible that 'you' may have layered meaning?

:)

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
do you believe in past lives? that you lived before but in a different time, place and body?

:yes:

Not really, I agree with UV's post, though I used to believe in something I called Relive, which is where you relive your life over and over again for eternity, no changes at all, exact same thing.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend ehatsumi,

do you believe in past lives? that you lived before but in a different time, place and body?

It is a fact that in TIME, past and future are always related.
PRESENT, has neither past nor future.
Both the states which you state and UV states are TRUE as experience is related to a particular time and occupying certain space and still there is a continuity....... and that is CONSCIOUSNESS!

Love & rgds

Koldo

Outstanding Member
and in every other way,
somebody else?

Unless you are not essentially, pratically, and in every other way, somebody else. :D

and experiences.

can come back to,

atanu gave a good answer, so i will leave at that.

blackout

Violet.
Hey. You got me stuck for a moment.

Suppose you are a gold bangle. In that case, you may cease to remain a bangle from time to time. But you still be gold.

Although the above is metaphoric, yet is it not possible that 'you' may have layered meaning?

:)

I'm not saying there couldn't be some constant.

I just don't know what that would be.

If you can't access your past memories,
or if they are not somehow inherent
in who you now are,
I'm not sure what the "continuation" is?

It's like a series of books.
There really needs to be some theme/constancy
of continuation,
or really what you have is
a bunch of seperate books.
Not a series.
True the Author, could be that constancy,
but that Author would need to retain
constancy of consciousness and memory.

What do YOU think the "gold" represents?
What IS the constancy of continuation?

I'm Open to Ideas. ;)

atanu

Premium Member

If you can't access your past memories,
or if they are not somehow inherent
in who you now are,
I'm not sure what the "continuation" is?

---

I'm Open to Ideas. ;)

;)

Yaaaa. We all are in that search. I believe, based on scripture and based on limited experience that continuity is at several levels before the timeless stratum is touched -- WHICH HOWEVER IS ALWAYS IN TOUCH.

Nice twin posts from you, UV.

Last edited:

Sententia

:yes:

No... but I haven't ruled out something similar... Its quite unlikely.

I really want to see the non-biological brain... Should be cool...

I think about this too much to be healthy.... but I usually end up with how ridiculously unimportant my life is... Like think of the best deer.... he or she is the best deer... super fast... teaches all the other deer about a new plant that they didnt know they could eat or some odd technique... and then super jesus deer dies...

I mean it contributed but ultimately the sun went supernovae or all the deer died from lyme disease... I mean it was cool deer... but ultimately... did it act any differently from a non thinking atom of essentially anything if you extrapolate the timeline to say 1,000,000,000,000 years....

Just sayin.
:run:

ehatsumi

thanks for the replies guys! just curious regarding that. i've read a book (unfortunately I forgot the title) that is a compilation of past lives experiences. in it, they share their experiences regarding past lives ( i am not sure if reincarnation is also discussed because i didnt able to finish the book). ive also read a story in that book about an author who wrote a story about a certain history (egyptian, as far as i remember) and turns out that the protagonist on that story is she (that story happens on ancient egypt) i dont remember exactly all the info about that story, sorry :p

Sententia

thanks for the replies guys! just curious regarding that. i've read a book (unfortunately I forgot the title) that is a compilation of past lives experiences. in it, they share their experiences regarding past lives ( i am not sure if reincarnation is also discussed because i didnt able to finish the book). ive also read a story in that book about an author who wrote a story about a certain history (egyptian, as far as i remember) and turns out that the protagonist on that story is she (that story happens on ancient egypt) i dont remember exactly all the info about that story, sorry :p

Have you seen What the bleep do we know? Its on netflix (Better) or youtube... (Or Quantum Activist?)

YouTube - ‪What the bleep do we know? Down the rabbit hole. part 1‬‏
YouTube - ‪What the bleep do we know? Down the rabbit hole. part 2‬‏
YouTube - ‪What the bleep do we know? Down the rabbit hole. part 3‬‏
YouTube - ‪What The Bleep Do We Know (4 of 12)‬‏
YouTube - ‪What The Bleep Do We Know (5 of 12)‬‏
YouTube - ‪What The Bleep Do We Know (6 of 12)‬‏
YouTube - ‪What The Bleep Do We Know (7 of 12)‬‏
YouTube - ‪What The Bleep Do We Know (8 of 12)‬‏
YouTube - ‪What The Bleep Do We Know (9 of 12)‬‏
YouTube - ‪What The Bleep Do We Know (10 of 12)‬‏
YouTube - ‪What The Bleep Do We Know (11 of 12)‬‏
YouTube - ‪What The Bleep Do We Know (12 of 12)‬‏

Enjoy.

atanu

Premium Member

----
True the Author, could be that constancy,
but that Author would need to retain
constancy of consciousness and memory.

What do YOU think the "gold" represents?

I'm Open to Ideas. ;)

I agree. The Existence/Seer/Author is/are the constancies in that order. While pure existence is neither a being nor a non being, beginning from the Seer, the Being is established. But this is theoretical for me, established in the ego being. True constancy is the consciousness itself and not its products which are countless and everchanging.

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
Personal understanding:
The constant is *VIBRATIONS*.
Meditators have realised/understood that the vibration of existence is OM or AUM in some cultures in others the sound may be interpreted in their own language.
Creation, preservation and destruction have this vibration as constant.
Human for is coming out of that vibration like all other forms and carries on till the form itself stops generating any vibration of its own and is fully in tune with the vibration of existence and this is the state of nirvana.

Love & rgds

atanu

Premium Member
Friends,
Personal understanding:
The constant is *VIBRATIONS*.
Meditators have realised/understood -----
Love & rgds

I respectfully differ. The constant is that which vibrates.

Highest sages have realised that they can traverse the whole spectrum of the vibrational states -- stillness to intense creation, and yet remain vibrationless.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend atanu,

You missed the point.
UV was asking about constant between lives and the response was in reference to that.
Transcending vibrations is the stillness which have mentioned in most posts.

Love & rgds

Dujanka

I am uncertain on the idea but accept it as another possibility. The knowledge and information about mind and consciousness is still pretty vague. Buddhism dwelling deepest into the human psyche as far as I know with it being one of the more commercial practices.

The real question is if this is a real system then figuring out why you chose to participate in another rousing game of mortal life comes to question. That and some of the disgust and dismay that comes to you over your actions and things you would know while in your soul state after coming out of another period of living. So each individual person walking around the planet with innumerate beliefs is actually a heaping amount of knowledge and limitless experience in some way or another but handicap by some type of meta-physical barriers.