• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in karma theory?

moon light

even mind can not be trusted only inspiration
Karma in what I believe in the Buddhistic sense is your karma/actions influence whether you experience benefit or consequence of your actions.

In a Buddhistic sense, the righteous, if you mean pride through riches, does not develop anything benefitial to ones well being. So, its not that the persons righeous that has something to do with karma but whether his Actions is a benefit to his well being or a consequence. The Buddha talks a out no one is exludee from birth and death. No king, no rightous. We are all in the same boat.

I dont understand what "rule the world" means outside of movies, but if that righteous persons actions benefit the well being of self and others, I guess ruling the world is possible. Ut only in a communal sense not dictarorial. I dont know the role of karma outside of The Buddha's Dharma.

Rule the world?
The world rules not to control or control the world
But I mean excellence and success in life
In the sense that the righteous get the superiority and success in life as a reward for their actions
And that bad people get down to life as a result of their actions
According to Karma theory
But this does not happen in reality

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
In the sense that the righteous get the superiority and success in life as a reward for their actions

"Reality" is more than this single life, it includes many lifetimes, so factor that in...

moon light

[QUO
Why would the righteous rule the world if karma was true? Ruling, or having power over others, it's easy to do bad things that lead to negatives even if you try to be righteous.

TE="Jumi, post: 5538620, member: 55799"]Why would the righteous rule the world if karma was true? Ruling, or having power over others, it's easy to do bad things that lead to negatives even if you try to be righteous.[/QUOTE]
rule the world not to control or control the world

moon light

It isn't really a belief; personally perceive we could photo a karma balance with the right equipment; it is like feng shui is similar.

Energy is everywhere; where this can be positively and negatively charged.

Because according to the Dharmic, Zoroastrian, and Abrahamic eschatologies we're in a time of ungodliness to catch out all the demons in this realm, which shall be removed instantly with holy fire.

You see karma sticks negatively to demons; thus when the holy fire comes, they sink in it, as their own negative karma balance weighs them down.

In my opinion. :innocent:
This happens in the afterlife
But I am talking about this life

moon light

Yes. The world is works.

Why should righteous rule the world? Does ‘karma’ theory predict so? Those who aspire to rule, undertake appropriate actions (impelled by their aspirations) and attain to appropriate results. A person may aspire to rule righteously, however.
rule the world not to control or control the world

Cassandra

That is not Karma theory.
Where did you get this idea?

Please note that Abrahamic religions are infamous for spreading wrong representations about other traditions, both knowingly and unknowingly.

Good and bad people have different objectives and both harvest the result of their actions. Whether they still feel successful after achieving the logical result of their actions is another matter, and whether other people see them as successful is again another matter.

People who are very conscious of Karma tend to see life as one step on a long journey, they are more worried about improving themselves climbing up the latter. People who see life as a one time affair will either seek maximum gratification in this life or in a one time shot at heaven. Their actions will be accordingly.

Superiority is really a hollow notion. Superior at what? Superior in walking the mile? Superior in collecting wealth, superior in fame? Superior in commanding the most people? Superior in creativity? Superior in destruction?

The strive for excellence is really a product of Greek civilization. For the Greek excellence was a way to achieve immortality by being kept alive in stories. The Greek knew the concept of reincarnation, but they did not warm up to it. Greek civilization was marked by strong generational conflict. They liked the dead to stay dead, and not come back. That is because Greek sons only had two options to create a family in the often mountainous areas, either wait for their father to die and take over or to emigrate to other lands. The idea of daddy coming back was not popular. No the dead either stayed in Hades (not such a bad place as often depicted), or the excellent ones with divine blood (demigods) were allowed to go to heaven.

Christianity, attracted people with the promise to open Heaven for the common folks (There goes the neighborhood).

moon light

Which Karma?

Almost every Asian religion views karma slightly differently. There isn't even agreement under the various sects of Hinduism on that subject. The points of contention include the nature of acts, previously accumulate karma from previous incarnations, and even whether said karma is dissolved by achieving enlightenment. Some believe by becoming enlightened they will only have to play out their existing karma, others believe it is immediately dissolved when one achieves realization of ones own divine nature. These sort of things make it impossible to have a fixed definition of karma, for example. Anyway, your good or bad acts according to most karma understandings may be relatively unimportant - you could have pulled some whoppers in the past lives either way that essentially make the minor acts in your current life irrelevant. The gravity of those previous acts, for example, may be much more than any in your current lifetime.

Dharma is probably a more relevant discussion here.

Dharma is doing, basically. It is the philosophy and practice of 'right action' where as karma is its effect. It is what you can do about the karma, basically. It doesn't do anything about the karma directly, it just prevents you from adding more bad. Doing the right action leads to the situation where all of the bad karma can be used up, so there is no more bad to suffer through. Once one does that, they become liberated from karma, and no longer incur any karma. Some at this juncture claim you still reincarnate, some don't and say you are free from the cycle of births and deaths at this point. Again, this issue is neither agreed upon either... Just presenting this for completeness. Anyway, to sum up - specifically the righteous person you mentioned would lack exactly the worldly desire, selfishness, and ego that makes for success in ruling things. Rarely these days does a ruler get to power via their profound intelligence or wisdom, and that would be the only way you could simultaneously be enlightened and ruling anything. Most, after becoming enlightened, would reject such activities so that should be noted here. :D
If something bad happens to me as a result of something bad in another life
I will never know what I did
This contradicts the theory of karma

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

According to karma, it doesnt matter how successful a person is if their actions are not put towards the well-being of others, they are in spiritual poverty. I dont know secular since I dont see the world in terms of success; but, in Buddhism, success doesnt matter. A rich and poor person side by side can do the same action and receive the same mental merit without regard to their social status involved. Likewise, they can commit bad actiond; karma by its nature doesnt discriminate.

moon light

That is not Karma theory.
Where did you get this idea?

Please note that Abrahamic religions are infamous for spreading wrong representations about other traditions, both knowingly and unknowingly.

Good and bad people have different objectives and both harvest the result of their actions. Whether they still feel successful after achieving the logical result of their actions is another matter, and whether other people see them as successful is again another matter.

People who are very conscious of Karma tend to see life as one step on a long journey, they are more worried about improving themselves climbing up the latter. People who see life as a one time affair will either seek maximum gratification in this life or in a one time shot at heaven. Their actions will be accordingly.

Superiority is really a hollow notion. Superior at what? Superior in walking the mile? Superior in collecting wealth, superior in fame? Superior in commanding the most people? Superior in creativity? Superior in destruction?

The strive for excellence is really a product of Greek civilization. For the Greek excellence was a way to achieve immortality by being kept alive in stories. The Greek knew the concept of reincarnation, but they did not warm up to it. Greek civilization was marked by strong generational conflict. They liked the dead to stay dead, and not come back. That is because Greek sons only had two options to create a family in the often mountainous areas, either wait for their father to die and take over or to emigrate to other lands. The idea of daddy coming back was not popular. No the dead either stayed in Hades (not such a bad place as often depicted), or the excellent ones with divine blood (demigods) were allowed to go to heaven.

Christianity, attracted people with the promise to open Heaven for the common folks (There goes the neighborhood).
As for Abrahamic religions, they support the concept of karma but not in absolute terms
We may explain this later

I think that I understood from your words that the concept of good and evil is a relative rather than an absolute concept
This talk destroys the of karma from its roots and throws it away
If the fall and fall in life is the result of good deeds
There is no meaning to the existence of karma

moon light

According to karma, it doesnt matter how successful a person is if their actions are not put towards the well-being of others, they are in spiritual poverty. I dont know secular since I dont see the world in terms of success; but, in Buddhism, success doesnt matter. A rich and poor person side by side can do the same action and receive the same mental merit without regard to their social status involved. Likewise, they can commit bad actiond; karma by its nature doesnt discriminate.
I am talking about success in life as a result of good deeds not for excellence among people

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am talking about success in life as a result of good deeds not for excellence among people

Success also meaning rightenousness in your OP?

I guess someone who has success can run the world because of good deeds. In general, I guess, if it is towards the well being of others then maybe. Though, I dont see thr connection between good deeds and ruling the world. Ruling, to me, sounds more like pride. If your intent isnt right, how do you define good deeds?

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Do you believe in karma theory?

If you believe , why the righteous do not rule the world?

Karma isn't personal. Not in the way westerners often believe: that it is tied explicitly with the person generating it. The righteous do not necessarily benefit from any good karma generated, except to rub some of the rust off the copper.

Karma explains how actions effect things. That is basically all it explains, without getting deeper into other details.

All actions have a result, yes? That is karma.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Karma is a pretty sentiment, but it's no more real than the god(s) concept. The truth is that rude and downright mean people constantly sail through life without experiencing any issues or upsets or "divine karma" kicking them in the butt.

One of the main reasons man created the idea of karma, or even divine justice met out by a deity, was because man thought it unfair how some people seemed to escape any sort of punishment for their conceived wrongdoings or antisocial behavior. Invent a vengeful god and a hell for "sinners", and suddenly man feels better about that which is out of his control to change or fix.
I see it much simpler . The Bible offers it as the law of the harvest. I have learned that if you sow kindness that kindness is reaped.