• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Believe in Adam and Eve?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
adameve.jpg

Scientific knowledge does not support the existence of an Adam or an Eve.

So if you do believe Adam and Eve existed, how do you square that with scientific knowledge.

Or if you see it as an allegory, then why not see God as an allegory too? Just a story created by ancient man to convey moral ideas.

Or do you just dismiss scientific theory altogether?

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
adameve.jpg

So if you do believe Adam and Eve existed, how do you square that with scientific knowledge.

Or if you see it as an allegory, then why not see God as an allegory too? Just a story created by ancient man to convey moral ideas.
It's mythology. Allegory.

I'm certain Adam and Eve never existed except in tales told ,and books written.

Same as the mythological God of Israel.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
There was a mitochondrial Eve. And there is a
Y-chromosomal Adam but they weren't necessarily married to each other or lived at the same time.

Ok, but this information comes from the last several decades. IOW, information not available to the biblical authors. So no real reason to believe there is any relationship between information uncovered by science and the biblical story of Adam and Eve.

exchemist

Veteran Member

One could view the depiction of God in scripture as largely allegorical, certainly. If there is a God, it seems at any rate unlikely that ancient writers would have been able to capture, in words, a full description.

PureX

Veteran Member
Well scientists are, however I suppose it's not really necessary for anyone else to concern themselves with science.
My point is that science is not a decider of truth. All it can do is show us how things function, physically. Unless some theory about how things function together, physically, has been posited by a religion, there is no reason to consider it

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
My point is that science is not a decider of truth. All it can do is show us how things function, physically. Unless some theory about how things function together, physically, has been posited by a religion, there is no reason to consider it

Science is the decider of what is not true. Allowing a person to have a greater degree of confidence in what has not yet been disproven. Religion has provided plenty of theology, which has been disproven, like the existence of an actual Adam or Eve.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
One could view the depiction of God in scripture as largely allegorical, certainly. If there is a God, it seems at any rate unlikely that ancient writers would have been able to capture, in words, a full description.

Or any description.
I can consciously create any god I want, give them whatever attributes I think appropriate. Even give them existence in my unconscious mind. Even if there was a God, my "God" need have nothing to do with reality.

Lots of differing ideas about creation, God. If you find it useful, fine. I suppose I see little benefit in putting any stock into one ancient story about creation over any other. So why not simply dismiss them all of having any factual basis?

IOW, a belief in any God can't be disproven. So any believe about God is as likely to be as true/untrue as any other belief about God. Why then put stock in any one of them?

PureX

Veteran Member
Science is the decider of what is not true.
No, it's not. All the scientific process can do is show us what theories about physical functionality, function, physically, and what theories about physical functionality do not. Physical functionality is not truth. It may be a part of the truth (or it may be part of an illusion, for all we know) but partial truths are merely facts, not to be confused with truth.
Allowing a person to have a greater degree of confidence in what has not yet been disproven. Religion has provided plenty of theology, which has been disproven, like the existence of an actual Adam or Eve.
The story of Adam and Eve is not "theology". It is "mythology". And any "theologian" that asserts that religious myths are factual history is an idiot. And science cannot prove nor disprove anything to an idiot. :)