• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we place too much value on life?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It seems to me that nowadays we place more value of human life, and other life, than past cultures have. I wonder whether that's a good thing or not. Do you think that we do this, and if so, is it good or bad?

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
I don't know enough about past cultures, but that death certainly was more a common thing to them. I guess it would depend on which culture.

Are you asking if it's a good thing to place value, particularly more than in the past, on human life? Human life is priceless. Giving one's life for a cause is the ultimate sacrifice. Some causes are worth it and many are not. This is a complicated question because so much factors in.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I'm no expert myself, but from the stories you read, and just what I've learned from books and classes, it seems like they valued life, but didn't put quite as much emphasis on it.

For instance, some cultures like the Greeks, among others, killed deformed babies to keep the population under control. In many older cultures, there was a lot more fighting, and therefore death. People would fight over nothing more than an insult.

Then you have things like life support these days, where someone is kept alive for weeks, months or years as a vegetable in the off chance that one day they'll come out of it. These days, people will do anything to save a child's life, no matter what, sacrificing everything. There is also the issue of capital punishment. It used to be part of the normal law in many cultures, and now is getting less and less common. And in Japanese culture there was the tradition of Hari-Kari (sorry if I spelled that wrong), killing yourself because you made a big mistake.

I'm not saying any of these are right, necessarily, and that we are wrong. It's just an observation. I'm not sure we're right, but I'm not going to claim we're completely wrong either.

I'm trying to write this quickly, so I may be a little scattered, you'll have to forgive me.

tomspug

Absorbant
Yes. I have heard some people in hospice care say that watching someone die can be just as beautiful as birth.

I agree with Penguino, we don't place enough value on human life. In many places life is cheap.

In India (which i have visisted therfore is example) people are tossed around like animals. The driving factor for any sort of respect is MONEY. People prosper in life from money only, it seems like in todays society.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I guess part of my questioning is whether we will someday overpopulate the Earth. It seems like we are outsmarting nature. Animals keep their population under control through methods like those I've already mentioned, but to them it's instinct. If one species starts to get out of control, nature has a way of regaining control over them. However, with our higher brain functions, we seem to be getting around that process, possibly to our and the planet's ultimate demise.

Death is necessary in many ways. It is, after all, a part of life, as they say. Maybe we just need to accept it more.

(I'm not necessarily convinced that this is the case, mainly I'm just playing Devil's advocate.)

logician

We defintely do NOT put enough value on non-human life, as we are now responsible for what will be one of the geat extinctions of history. This will come back to bite us soon enough.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
We defintely do NOT put enough value on non-human life, as we are now responsible for what will be one of the geat extinctions of history. This will come back to bite us soon enough.

What extinction is that?

I agree. Maybe we need to be reminded that, while we might be superior to the rest of the animal kingdom, we still need it along with the ecosystem to survive.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
A related question: Does life have some absolute value irrespective of our relative valuations?

I can't see why it would. Does a car have an absolute value? No. It all depends on many factors, including each individual's needs. An SUV isn't worth much to me because all I need to do is drive in fairly normal conditions on established roads. Value, I think, is inherently subjective, unless you're talking about mathematics.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
You asked whether we place too much value on life. Doesn't that imply some "right" amount against which you determine whether we value life too much or too little? Otherwise, how would we decide the answer?

Here are even more extra characters for the collection. +++++++++++ :D

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
You asked whether we place too much value on life. Doesn't that imply some "right" amount against which you determine whether we value life too much or too little? Otherwise, how would we decide the answer?

Here are even more extra characters for the collection. +++++++++++ :D

It's all about what you think it's worth. I don't think it's worth destroying the rest of the planet for, in the end also destroying human life. That's why the first question is whether or not the importance we place on it will have this result. There is evidence to suggest that this is the case. Some people seem to think it's more important than anything else, even that result.

It's still relative. That's why any answer is an opinion, and there is no definitive answer.

And, by the way, that whole more than 4 character response thing puzzles me.