• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we place too much value on life?

Poisonshady313

There is also the issue of capital punishment.
I say, in the interest of balancing out our numbers, once every ten years, we empty out every death row in this country by executing everyone who's been there for no less than ten years.

Everyone less than ten years gets commuted to a life sentence, unless they murder a fellow inmate or prison guard, which earns them an immediate execution.

To make room for those coming in from death row, we take an equal number of minor offenders of victimless crimes (i.e. drug possession/usage) and turn them loose. If they die as a result of their addiction, it's one more step towards balancing out our numbers... if they live meaningful lives, beautiful. If they kill someone in a drug related incident, immediate execution.

Between clean-out years, the system works as normal. If appeals run out before 10 years are up, the criminal is executed accordingly. Every year, at least 50% of the death row population must have their sentence carried out.

There might be more work to be done... but that's a start.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I say, in the interest of balancing out our numbers, once every ten years, we empty out every death row in this country by executing everyone who's been there for no less than ten years.

Everyone less than ten years gets commuted to a life sentence, unless they murder a fellow inmate or prison guard, which earns them an immediate execution.

To make room for those coming in from death row, we take an equal number of minor offenders of victimless crimes (i.e. drug possession/usage) and turn them loose. If they die as a result of their addiction, it's one more step towards balancing out our numbers... if they live meaningful lives, beautiful. If they kill someone in a drug related incident, immediate execution.

Between clean-out years, the system works as normal. If appeals run out before 10 years are up, the criminal is executed accordingly. Every year, at least 50% of the death row population must have their sentence carried out.

There might be more work to be done... but that's a start.

Wow, that's pretty harsh. Not necessarily uncalled for, and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, it's just bluntly put. Interesting ideas.

Poisonshady313

Not necessarily uncalled for, and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, it's just bluntly put. Interesting ideas.

Thanks.

What some people don't seem to understand is, prison guards aren't babysitters whose job it is to order a pizza and tuck you in at night. They're prison guards. Watching criminals who would still be doing what they got locked up for if they hadn't got locked up (and if they make parole, may very well resume doing.)

20 years is usually the minimum of a life sentence. So what's the point in someone sitting on death row for 20 years... you could have just as easily given him life. If the death penalty is to mean anything, it should be carried out more consistently, more regularly, more efficiently.