• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Universities Brainwash?

OutOfTime

Personally, I think they do. They express liberal ideas in an atheistic sense. I wont go into details cos I'm a lazy *** who doesn't like typing much but it's things like evolution, glorizing people who shouldn't have been glorized in history, and teaching/promoting ideas like population control etc. They tend to have anti religious sentiments in a lot of humanities courses as well. This is from my own current experience as an undergrad.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Call me weird but I tend to view a university education as a time spent learning facts, ideas and how to think and theorize. Brainwashing is defined as indoctrinating with fear and repetitive mantras geared toward the furthering of the a brainwashee's motives. How is this a parallel?

lunamoth

Will to love
I agree with the OP. I learned all about Evilution at a college and look where it's left me! :areyoucra:bonk::fork: : hamster : (<----wait, how did that get in there?)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Personally, I think they do. They express liberal ideas in an atheistic sense. I wont go into details cos I'm a lazy *** who doesn't like typing much but it's things like evolution, glorizing people who shouldn't have been glorized in history, and teaching/promoting ideas like population control etc. They tend to have anti religious sentiments in a lot of humanities courses as well. This is from my own current experience as an undergrad.

1) Reality has a liberal bias. Overall, the views of conservatives tend to be less supported by fact and evidence than the views of liberals. This is why allegedly liberal ideas are taught in universities.

2) Deal with it. When faced with reality, try adjusting your views accordingly rather than complain the messengers bringing you the news of evolution, etc. are out to get you.

Last edited:

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I had a teacher last year who always talked about religion. He mentioned the virgin mary as though it were fact. He also mentioned the fact that he took pictures of his grandchildren being born. I don't know about you, but if I was having babies, I wouldn't want my dad taking pictures of my crotch. There was something wrong with that guy...

Anyway, there are all sorts of professors at my university. Some are good teachers, and some aren't. Because university isn't a church, I think it's pretty reasonable for them to use scientific theories in their lessons though.

blackout

Violet.
Well you can hardly blame an institution for ummm....
"supporting" and "indocrinating"?...
"upholding" the very system
that enables it's existence in the first place,
can you?

But then I somehow don't think that is what you meant.

Panda

42?
Premium Member

Perhaps it is that they are trying to get rid of the brainwashing you already received?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
A good liberal education focuses on developing skills in: (1) critical thinking; (2) independent research; (3) critical thinking; (4) writing; (5) critical thinking; (6) oratorical and interpersonal communication; (7) critical thinking; and, only after all of that, (8) learning particular facts.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

They're a business. You choose them, give them your money, sit in their classes and then they give you a piece of paper. If you don't like what they teach or how they teach then it's up to the student/customer to look elsewhere for a campus they find more suitable or ideal. In your case it would be one of those silly christian conservative paper mills.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Have you attended any university?

What do you think scientists should teach in science class, if not science?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I never noticed any anti-religious sentiment in my undergrad career, though I only ventured into the Humanities areas of the university for electives.

I did have an environmental studies prof who was literally an activist (he'd tell us stories about anti-development protests he'd go to) who didn't seem to appreciate my point of view: on one of the exams, he asked us to give five measures that a to town running out of landfill space could use to address its problem. After a bunch of "standard" answers, I suggested that the town could use taxation and advertising to encourage people to move away. I got zero for that answer, even though it technically would have reduced the amount of waste going to landfill. :D