• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do some conservatives want armed revolution

Wannabe Yogi

It has been hinted at by at least one conservative on RF The group the oath takers have there fans among the right wing, Glenn Beck loves them and some in the Tea Partiers court them.

Founded last April by Yale-educated lawyer and ex-Ron Paul aide Stewart Rhodes, the group has established itself as a hub in the sprawling anti-Obama movement that includes Tea Partiers, Birthers, and 912ers. Glenn Beck, Lou Dobbs, and Pat Buchanan have all sung its praises, and in December, a grassroots summit it helped organize drew such prominent guests as representatives Phil Gingrey and Paul Broun, both Georgia Republicans.

There are scores of patriot groups, but what makes Oath Keepers unique is that its core membership consists of men and women in uniform, including soldiers, police, and veterans. At regular ceremonies in every state, members reaffirm their official oaths of service, pledging to protect the Constitution—but then they go a step further, vowing to disobey "unconstitutional" orders from what they view as an increasingly tyrannical government...

Oath Keepers and the Age of Treason | Mother Jones

Just_me_Mike

It has been hinted at by at least one conservative on RF The group the oath takers have there fans among the right wing, Glenn Beck loves them and some in the Tea Partiers court them.

Founded last April by Yale-educated lawyer and ex-Ron Paul aide Stewart Rhodes, the group has established itself as a hub in the sprawling anti-Obama movement that includes Tea Partiers, Birthers, and 912ers. Glenn Beck, Lou Dobbs, and Pat Buchanan have all sung its praises, and in December, a grassroots summit it helped organize drew such prominent guests as representatives Phil Gingrey and Paul Broun, both Georgia Republicans.

There are scores of patriot groups, but what makes Oath Keepers unique is that its core membership consists of men and women in uniform, including soldiers, police, and veterans. At regular ceremonies in every state, members reaffirm their official oaths of service, pledging to protect the Constitution—but then they go a step further, vowing to disobey "unconstitutional" orders from what they view as an increasingly tyrannical government...

If history teaches us anything, it is that humans will never govern correctly. So if I join an uprising an shed blood, it might get better for a moment, I might enjoy the plunders of over throw, but we'd be right back where we are now in no time at all.

Viscous circle... No way to stop it.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!

At this point, all I see are former military people stating their opinions, gathering with other former miltary people.

The link below would be much more indicative of any armed resistance endevours from the "right".

Ohio Militia Members Among Those Plotting Police Attacks - WJW

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do some conservatives want armed revolution?

If some do, they're likely a small minority, just like leftists who want the same. I know & discuss politics with many
on the left & right, yet no one I know advocates armed resistance. (They'd tell me if they do.) Certainly, history shows
there's a possibility for armed revolt in every country, given enuf time, so some day this could change. The one thing
I'm sure of is that Fox can sell a lot of commercials by making the left look bad, & MSNBC can also do a booming business
by making the right look dangerous. Objectivity & truth are the first casualties in the media. A violent tea partier
demonizes their movement no more than the Unabomber does to environmentalists. Frankly, I don't see a whole lotta
violence here lately. Things have been far worse before in this country.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If history teaches us anything, it is that humans will never govern correctly. So if I join an uprising an shed blood, it might get better for a moment, I might enjoy the plunders of over throw, but we'd be right back where we are now in no time at all.

Viscous circle... No way to stop it.

You echo America's founders. They too said that it could become necessary to overthrow the very same
government they were setting up. Security & a permanent benevolent government are illusions. Eternal
vigilance is necessary.

Wannabe Yogi

If some do, they're likely a small minority, just like leftists who want the same.

The difference is that the folks on the left don't have support from main stream politicos. Today you have two GOP state governors who have publicly called for their states to leave the union. Sarah Pailen husband was a memeber of a political party that wants Alaska not be American any more. This language all boarders on treason. Open your eyes dont minimize the facts. What you said was true of the left in the 1960's. In the GOP today there is just no blow back for extreme behavior.

Last edited:

Wannabe Yogi

You echo America's founders. They too said that it could become necessary to overthrow the very same
government they were setting up. Security & a permanent benevolent government are illusions. Eternal
vigilance is necessary.

Today all this treasonous talk is over Health Care. Make any sense to you. At least in the 1960's it was over an unjust war and the rights of minorities.

dust1n

Zindīq
Today all this treasonous talk is over Health Care. Make any sense to you. At least in the 1960's it was over an unjust war and the rights of minorities.

The left revolutionary stance is still over unjust war and rights of minorities. Many of them prefer to do it by self-organizing labor and and emancipation of the workplace (i.e. fire your boss). At least from my perspective, as well as others, that free enterprise is more restricted from monopoly and cooperative capitalism, which also happens to control the government, and that the means of economic reform will be the predecessor to all reform.

Wannabe Yogi

The left revolutionary stance is still over unjust war and rights of minorities. Many of them prefer to do it by self-organizing labor and and emancipation of the workplace (i.e. fire your boss). At least from my perspective, as well as others, that free enterprise is more restricted from monopoly and cooperative capitalism, which also happens to control the government, and that the means of economic reform will be the predecessor to all reform.

I just believe that the only ethical way to change government is by the ballot box in a democracy. A Democracy is only affective with well educated citizens.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The difference is that the folks on the left don't have support from main stream politicos. Today you have two GOP state governors who have publicly called for their states to leave the union.

Did they say that would involve violence? Do you have a link to show me what they actually said?

Sarah Pailen husband was a memeber of a political party that wants Alaska not be American any more.
That's a stretch....the former party of the husband of a former governor. And then again, what did they actually say?
I can cherry pick obscure quotes suggesting violence from lefties too, but that would also prove nothing.

This language all boarders on treason.
That's hyperbole. We have a tradition of rancorous political speech, which is fine as long as no one draws blood.....or makes specific plans to do so.

Open your eyes dont minimize the facts. What you said was true of the left in the 1960's. In the GOP today there is just no blow back for extreme behavior.
Eyes open here....I'm a Libertarian, neither on the right or the left. Plus, I neither support nor oppose tea partiers. Perhaps it is your left leaning eyes which color
your analysis. But I prefer to avoid a duel of perspectives. There is still little political violence in the US today, but the little I do see in the news is on both the left & the right.

Last edited:

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
An oath is silly in some ways. When I was in elementary school I went through the sacrament of confirmation. It confirmed I would be a Catholic for life. That ceremony means nothing to me now.

You can take all the oaths in the world, but when you are faced with the decision of doing right or wrong, what would your choice be? Would you kill innocent people because your government wanted you to?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Health care is simply one of many rancorous issues. We also have the growth of the federal government, wasteful bail-outs costing hundreds of billions of dollars
rising taxes, & increased regulation of our businesses & lives. What you call "treasonous", I see as necessary & protected political speech. Certainly if these tea
partiers were truly committing treason, Obama wouldn't stand in the way of their prosecution. Yet we don't see this, which is telling.

It's fairly clear to me that the statists are scared of a growing movement against them, & will say anything to demonize them.

Wannabe Yogi

Did they say that would involve violence? Do you have a link to show me what they actually said?

Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX) was one of the dozens of Republican lawmakers who are addressing the anti-Obama tea parties today. He told the crowd he didn’t believe they were all “right-wing extremists,” as others had sought to portray them. “But if you are, I’m with you!” he shouted. After, he told reporters that Texas might have to secede from the union:

Perry told reporters following his speech that Texans might get so frustrated with the government they would want to secede from the union.

“There’s absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that.”

Think Progress » Gov. Rick Perry: Texas might have to secede.

I can get many more if you like. Again no blow back from the conservatives on this.

That's a stretch....the former party of the husband of a former governor. And then again, what did they actually say?
I can cherry pick obscure quotes suggesting violence from lefties too, but that would also prove nothing.

Denial just isn't a river in Egypt.
Show me one Dem in power that is going this far. Show me one dem in power that is calling for a armed march? Please show me.

That's hyperbole. We have a tradition of rancorous political speech, which is fine as long as no one draws blood.....or makes specific plans to do so.

The Op shows that 1000 are planing to do just that. Kind of like Oklahoma city.

Don't tell me that the Southern States did not draw blood when they quite the union.

Eyes open here....I'm a Libertarian, neither on the right or the left. Plus, I neither support nor oppose tea partiers. Perhaps it is your left leaning eyes which color

If you ask my liberal and conservative friends. they will all tell you that I work very hard not to be bias. I am more then willing to take up a conservative cause if I believe it to be true. Like I have said before there is a place for both conservative and liberal in our body politic.

I am off the political spectrum in that I am Gandhian in many ways.
I have more of an allegiance to my world view then my political philosophy.

You seem to forget the left has had much more repression aimed at it then the right can even imagine. From machine gunning down of labor union strikers to the civil rights marchers. From the Macarthyism to kent state. It is always the liberals who are put down.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX) was one of the dozens of Republican lawmakers who are addressing the anti-Obama tea parties today. He told the crowd he didn’t believe they were all “right-wing extremists,” as others had sought to portray them. “But if you are, I’m with you!” he shouted. After, he told reporters that Texas might have to secede from the union:
Perry told reporters following his speech that Texans might get so frustrated with the government they would want to secede from the union.
“There’s absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that.”

Think Progress » Gov. Rick Perry: Texas might have to secede.

I can get many more if you like. Again no blow back from the conservatives on this.

That sounds like pretty tame stuff to me. And once again, a duel of isolated examples won't prove a larger rule

Denial just isn't a river in Egypt.
Show me one Dem in power that is going this far. Show me one dem in power that is calling for a armed march? Please show me.
A march with armed demonstrators is not necessarily violent. After all, I carry a concealed handgun daily, & I'm a non-aggressionist, as are the vast majority of gun owners.
But if you want an example of a violent lefty, here is one:

NY Senator: 'You Racist People In Here' - wcbstv.com

Don't tell me that the Southern States did not draw blood when they quite the union.
You're not making a case for violent intent here. Venting & hyperbole are a far cry from inciting & committing violence.

If you ask my liberal and conservative friends. they will all tell you that I work very hard not to be bias. I am more then willing to take up a conservative cause if I believe it to be true......
....I am off the political spectrum in that I am Gandhian in many ways.
I have more of an allegiance to my world view then my political philosophy.
On the political compass, I am more classically liberal than Gandhi by a long shot. He was rather the statist economically.
I think he was a nice guy & did a world of good, but I lean libertarian, so he's not an idol of mine.

You seem to forget the left has had much more repression aimed at it then the right can even imagine. From machine gunning down of labor unions to the civil rights marchers. From the Macarthyism to kent state. It is always the liberals who are put down.
We all may forget, but I'm not ready to cede superior memory to you. I just see a different picture. I was assaulted once while posting flyers against rent control.
In my town, lefties have burned & blown up buildings (ROTC, FBI) as political protest. In general, the left does its share of repression, with particular violence under communist states.

Last edited:

xkatz

vigilance is necessary.

While what you say is certainly true, now is certainly not that time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Wannabe Yogi
I just believe that the only ethical way to change government is by the ballot box in a democracy. A Democracy is only affective with well educated citizens.
I see it thus:
We vote for a president every 4 years.
We'll see a violent revolution ever 1000 years +/- 700 years.
I control neither & I often don't approve of the result, but I'll do what makes sense at the time.