• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do shoes inhibit our experiences?

Master Vigil

Ok, I know it sounds odd. But take off your shoes, and walk through your yard very slowly. Every time your feet touch the ground, they touch, feel, and experience SO MANY things that they wouldn't if you had shoes on. Are we missing out on things by wearing shoes?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
As a child I hated to wear shoes... went everywhere I could bare footed.
To day I wear sandals 95% of the time even in winter.
To much foreign stuff on the ground these days outside.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I don't think shoes inhibit me, I hate being barefoot. It would be too distracting for me to get any kind of experience.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Ok, I know it sounds odd. But take off your shoes, and walk through your yard very slowly. Every time your feet touch the ground, they touch, feel, and experience SO MANY things that they wouldn't if you had shoes on. Are we missing out on things by wearing shoes?
Yeah, glass shards. :D

Random

Barefoot (and possibly pregnant), you're @ one with yo Earth Mama. It could be viewed as your Chi energy centres connecting to the naked, mystical Terra. Or not.

rojse

RF Addict

Thorns, prickles, nails, spikes, ant bites...

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I think all clothes do too an extent. But that's just me. :)

"You cry as the darkness
Descends upon the World.
You lie upon your bed
It’s hard but at least you can dream
Until the moon rises and you can escape
Through your window
And run naked through the pines.
Like a spirit
Devoid of shame
And suffering none of the entrapments
Of the world you left behind." "Naked in the Pines," by me.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I suppose you miss the experience of being thrown into jail for public indecency.

You know, I've never actually been to jail. Nudity in the way I described it is a spiritual experience done privately or in a natural setting I am sure will not attract public attention.

What is indecent about nudity anyway? (I hope, Master Vigil, this is still in the spirit of the thread and not off-topic!)

Master Vigil

What is indecent about nudity anyway? (I hope, Master Vigil, this is still in the spirit of the thread and not off-topic!)
No, you're ok. Go ahead! When St. Francis stripped down in the town square, giving all of his possessions back to his father, it was seen as indecent by the townspeople, but it was spiritual liberation for him. Of course, he then took a mendicant robe and walked out of town. But that's not the point. :D

Zephyr

Moved on
I try to go barefoot whenever possible. It just feels right. Unfortunately it gets down to about negative bajilliondy degrees here in winter, but back home I'd walk barefoot even in winter. Then again, I used to do firewalking a lot as part of my fireeating act. If you've never spent a winter barefoot, it's probably not a good idea to jump into it. I'd hate to feel what it would be like if my feets weren't already rock hard. As for the other lesser seasons, go for it at least once or twice. Glass shards aren't as scary as they may seem if you don't rush. It's feels really amazing to do your first fire or glass walk, especially when you're successful. There is nothing like going through something that seems terrifying and coming out completely unharmed.

Master Vigil

I have the best job in the world, because I'm barefoot ALL DAY!!!! I own a karate school, so, yeah. NO SHOES!!! I drive barefoot, garden barefoot, walking meditation barefoot, hike barefoot, etc... I am pretty much barefoot all year round, even in the winter. But winters in Pa are not that bad anymore.

Stellify

StarChild
I go around barefoot as much as possible, and I love it.
However, if one is barefoot all of the time, and on rougher ground often...then don't the soles of your feet become hard and lose some of their sensation? In that case, it can't be that different from wearing flip-flops.

Master Vigil

I go around barefoot as much as possible, and I love it.
However, if one is barefoot all of the time, and on rougher ground often...then don't the soles of your feet become hard and lose some of their sensation? In that case, it can't be that different from wearing flip-flops.
I have very rough and tough feet (I have to to break bricks with them :D) But I still have a lot of sensation. At least I think I do. :D

Stellify

StarChild
I have very rough and tough feet (I have to to break bricks with them :D) But I still have a lot of sensation. At least I think I do. :D
Then I'll just have to believe you:D
I think barefoot is better, anywho. I'm fine with sandals, but I really don't like wearing sneakers and other close-toed shoes:rolleyes:
..except at Scarborough...The rocks there are too sharp for me to go barefoot:(

Master Vigil

Then I'll just have to believe you:D
I think barefoot is better, anywho. I'm fine with sandals, but I really don't like wearing sneakers and other close-toed shoes:rolleyes:
..except at Scarborough...The rocks there are too sharp for me to go barefoot:(
YAY FOR SANDALS and FLIP FLOPS!!!! I keep a pair in my car just in case I have to go into a store or something.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I have had a period where I loved walking with bare feet. After that I had a period where I wanted to wear very tied shoes and now I wear not so tied shoes.

For me it's the change that matter for my feet. :D