• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do I have a right to die?

Brendan ben David

Human Being
Hmm so someone puking bile and suffers horribly until they die is God's way of cleasing them? Do we have evidence of such justice and mercy?
If God is going to reward us in the World-to-Come as a result of our good deeds and the righteous lives we lead, then it goes without saying punishment on the opposite end of the spectrum is necessary as well.

All evidence you desire is found within God's holy Torah.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
If God is going to reward us in the World-to-Come as a result of our good deeds and the righteous lives we lead, then it goes without saying punishment on the opposite end of the spectrum is necessary as well.

All evidence you desire is found within God's holy Torah.

Well my idea of God's mercy is to expedite the annihilation process of illness (or cure it) not prolonging suffering. To me pain and illness is a side effect to our mortality as well as serving as a direct knowledge of our existence. Me watching my mother in her last years on earth suffering and deteriorating to an infancy stage all the while wishing for death was indeed and I say with conviction not a symbol of God's mercy.

Poisonshady313

As a physician, we are bound by the hippocratic oath of tending to the sick and dying and to promote life saving tactics to the best of our abilities. I have seen patients whom I've tended sufer terribly due to the advancement of their cancer. I have seen pain and agony in their faces and looks of hopelessness and desire to end their life. However, despite all that we cannot jeopardize our license like Kavorkian did and help end their lives and doing such is basically playing "God."

As Kevorkian said, any time you do a procedure or give a patient medicine, you're basically playing God. You're interfering with the course nature chose for a person's body. So the whole "Euthanasia = Playing God" business goes out the window. And the modern Hippocratic Oath, as penned in 1964, is aware that it might be necessary to take a patients life. "But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty."

But as a man I would say I believe if a persons illness reaches its zenith and there is absolutely nothing that can ease their pain (such as Pain Management therapy) and if the patient consents to expedite their death I would say why not? I think the effects of suffering is more traumatic to the family than death. At least with death their is the lifeless body and the grieving process that follows. But with watching your loved one suffer over and over day by day hour by hour looking in their face and listening to the moans and their agony is very traumatic.

All Kevorkian did was take your views "As a man" and apply them as a physician.

Poisonshady313

In psychology we call this suicidal ideation.

The first of Jack Kevorkian's patients had Alzheimer's. She wasn't in physical pain. She was horrified what what she might lose next, that she wouldn't be able to recognize herself in the mirror.... or that she wouldn't be able to recognize her husband... she knew it wouldn't get better, so she wanted to end it before she had to experience it getting worse. She was already at the point where she could step out of her house and not know where she was going... or even where she was.

horizon_mj1

Here is one that may make the subject "not so touchy";) Life is a gift granted to by some through science (evolution) and some through religion (creation), but agreed for the most part as something worth preserving. If the subject in whom feels they wish to end their life, is the action not merited by their personal beliefs to begin with; if you believe you are doing a greater good to all by no longer existing (a self centered thought IMO) and have no problem with the consequences you have created, by all means do it; life is the one thing people have that they can call their own, it should be treated so. I am the kind of person who really does not believe in suicide for the most part, but I also understand everyone is different and until I can live someone else's life (PLEASE no, don't make me!!!)I choose not to place judgments on others decisions they make for themselves, as long as it does not effect my life.:angel2:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For those who have no deity, they cannot sin.
A revolting ode to hollow attempts at sinning

No Heaven awaits my eventual dying,
or damning to Hell by the god I'm defying.
Much to my chagrin
they say I can't sin
but that doesn't stop me from gleefully trying.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Father Heathen, as God is just, He punishes justly. That is, we are punished for our misdeeds in which through our free will we had a moral choice over. Simply because we aren't directly told which misdeed caused our tribulation does not make it masochistic. Commit a bad deed, and you will be punished - that's all you need to know.

If we were immediately rewarded for each good deed and immediately punished for each misdeed, one can see how this would eliminate our free will.

so explain why a 3 yr old with terminal cancer is being punished?
:(

In my view if we have right to live me must have right to die also.As the pain of living at that situation is much more than of dying !

Brendan ben David

Human Being
Shouldn't you be careful stating this? Don't you think there is God's Knowledge everywhere and in doctrine among other Denominations?

All wisdom is found within Torah, while some of this wisdom can be found within other doctrines.

To sin is to go against the will/wishes of your chosen deity.
For those who have no deity, they cannot sin.

If a deity exists, then sin exists irrespective of whether or not one's chosen to accept the Deity.

so explain why a 3 yr old with terminal cancer is being punished?
:(

The sins of one's parents, grandparents, great-grandparents... and/or this righteous soul has chosen to return and suffer to save others from suffering in his/her place.

Otherright

Otherright
But what if I am in agony and I want to die? Doctors cannot perform anything to allow me to die

They can't do that. Its a direct violation of the Hippocratic Oath. They can prevent you from being in agony with either pain management or by inducing a coma.

MissAlice

A sinner is whom makes mistakes (ie. not following God's laws). Everything is reward and punishment, on the receiving end. Trials and tribulations are that which should be welcomed because they move us back to the correct path and cleanse our souls of blemishes.

If God runs the show, how could anyone receive any suffering they don't deserve? Surely, God is just?

So you're saying that victim deserves to suffer because they sinned in some way. That doesn't surprise me. I have yet to see how it is the child or victim that is doing the sinning but then again me and you seem to differ as to what is sin. You see god as doing justice I see god as doing injustice if such an abomination exists.

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
If a deity exists, then sin exists irrespective of whether or not one's chosen to accept the Deity.
If several deities exist, then it is as I said.

If only one deity exists, it's rules do not apply unless one, a person accepts said rules, or two, deity enforces said rules.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
They can't do that. Its a direct violation of the Hippocratic Oath. They can prevent you from being in agony with either pain management or by inducing a coma.
Thus the reason the Oath needs a revision.

Brendan ben David

Human Being
You do realize that concepts of god other than the abrahamic one exist, right?

Of course, but they are just that, concepts.

So you're saying that victim deserves to suffer because they sinned in some way. That doesn't surprise me. I have yet to see how it is the child or victim that is doing the sinning but then again me and you seem to differ as to what is sin. You see god as doing justice I see god as doing injustice if such an abomination exists.

As a human we are severely limited in our scope of understanding. We don't see the inner workings of the spiritual worlds. Put it this way, you have an IQ of 150, God has an IQ of 4000 (really, infinity). Who's the better place to judge?

If several deities exist, then it is as I said.

If only one deity exists, it's rules do not apply unless one, a person accepts said rules, or two, deity enforces said rules.

Not according to the Deity. According to the Deity, God, It's rules apply to everyone.