• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Creationists Understand The Theory Of Evolution?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Contrary to popular misinformation, science supports creation and destroys the theory of evolution.
... a little-known fact divined by joeboonda but presumably concealed from the overwhelming majority of the scientific community. With hubris like this one wonders why you need religion.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Creationists have been saying the same thing, with the same arguments since the 1920's.
It's no closer to being right now than it was then.

wa:do

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
why don't you, in your own words, tell me what it is and I'll tell you if I understand it or not.

There are many excellent textbooks for that sort of thing. With a little effort, you can make you way through one.

It might surprise you, as it does many creationists, but the theory is a little bit more nuanced than a bumper sticker slogan. Creationism, on the other hand, is pretty much "God did it".

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I would actually like to hear an evolutionist tell me what evolution is in his/her own words.

I assume that means you've never read a textbook on the subject. The good news, then, is that nothing is stopping you from reading a good textbook written by an "evolutionist".

well I've yet to hear an evolutionist tell me what ToE is....why am I not surprised. What are you waiting for???? Don't go criticizing creationists for not defining it ----- you not defining it either makes you a hypocrite. It's your theory -- so let's hear it.

UnTheist

well I've yet to hear an evolutionist tell me what ToE is....why am I not surprised. What are you waiting for???? Tell me!

The almighty WiKi:

In biology, evolution is the change in the inherited traits of a population from generation to generation. These traits are the expression of genes that are copied and passed on to offspring during reproduction. Mutations in these genes can produce new or altered traits, resulting in heritable differences (genetic variation) between organisms. New traits can also come from transfer of genes between populations, as in migration, or between species, in horizontal gene transfer. Evolution occurs when these heritable differences become more common or rare in a population, either non-randomly through natural selection or randomly through genetic drift.

UnTheist

I gave you an "Evolutionists" definition of ToE. You never said anything about "in your own words"

Oh look, you edited your post after I posted the definition. It is not "my" theory. It is a Scientific Theory

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
well I've yet to hear an evolutionist tell me what ToE is....why am I not surprised. What are you waiting for???? Don't go criticizing creationists for not defining it ----- you not defining it either makes you a hypocrite. It's your theory -- so let's hear it.

Are you being disingenuous?

This was my original, first post on this thread:

why don't you, in your own words, tell me what it is and I'll tell you if I understand it or not.

UnTheist

This was my original, first post on this thread:

Why do you want my definition? Are you not satisfied with the definition described by Evolutionary Biologists? Because that is the most accurate definition anyone can give you

TurkeyOnRye

There are a lot of creationists who have had a slight education on evolution and natural selection, but when they try to define it, ask questions or make arguments etc, they completely miss it. Evolution/Natural selection is not something that you can just speed learn or memorize. I find that many people have a difficult time grasping the ideas. Not only do you have to learn it, you have to feel it and understand it. The mind must transform into a microcosm for the ideas that must be considered for this theory. I think understanding of evolution comes in the form of epiphanies.

"There are some people who have a hard time believing that something as complex as the eye just...created itself." - Ted Haggard

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Life simply does not come from non-life.
Actually, an experiment that has been successfully repeated many times has put various substances in a bottle, added an electrical charge, and created life. Allthough I forget the original scientists who performed this, if you are curious, I'm sure there are plenty of members here who can give you the names so you can research this experiment further.

Contrary to popular misinformation, science supports creation and destroys the theory of evolution.
Actually, fossils, the Ice Age, the Grand Canyon, fossil fuels, certain trees, petrified wood, and many other things quickly and easily disprove creationism. And in the science community, creationism and ID are considered to be laughable at best.

TurkeyOnRye

Actually, an experiment that has been successfully repeated many times has put various substances in a bottle, added an electrical charge, and created life. Allthough I forget the original scientists who performed this, if you are curious, I'm sure there are plenty of members here who can give you the names so you can research this experiment further.

I can vouch for that. It is documented in most biology textbooks. However, I would like to amend what you say; they did not get "life," they got organic substances such as amino acids and sugars: essential building blocks of life.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
yes, but things like prions and viruses tend to make defining 'life' tricky.

self replicating organic molecules are tricky things for creationists to talk about.

wa:do