• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Creationists Understand The Theory Of Evolution?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In your experience, do most of the creationists you encounter understand the Theory of Evolution? Why or why not?

Also, in your experience, do most proponents of evolutionary theory understand the Theory of Evolution? Why or why not?

In your opinion, which group in general understands the Theory of Evolution best: Creationists or proponents of evolutionary theory? Why?

Booko

Deviled Hen
In your experience, do most of the creationists you encounter understand the Theory of Evolution? Why or why not?

No. If they did, they would not remain Creationists. There is a total lack of any physical evidence to back up such claims and a wealth of evidence to contradict them.

Also, in your experience, do most proponents of evolutionary theory understand the Theory of Evolution? Why or why not?

Sometimes the understanding is incomplete, but that's due to a lack of scientific background in relevant areas and sometimes to a lack of precision in writing.

My background that's relevant is in analytical chemistry not biology, and I've certainly made some inaccurate remarks over the years due to my lack of expertise in biology.

In your opinion, which group in general understands the Theory of Evolution best: Creationists or proponents of evolutionary theory? Why?

I think my answer to the first question answers this one as well.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In my experience, the do not understand it. One preacher has even went as far to tell his congregation to call those who believe in evolution "slime-snake-monkey-people."

I'm sure with proper education and understanding, creationist would not remain so given that science has completely destroyed that theory to the point that not even faith can adequately justify believe in it.

Ringer

Jar of Clay

I consider myself a creationist but I don't totally rule out the idea that we came about through evolution. I guess so far I still have a hard time accepting the "facts" that evolutionists claim. I think that even those who consider themselves evolutionists don't fully understand the evolutionary process but that can be said about anybody who holds to any belief system. It's not that creationists probably can't understand evolution, they are just more close-minded to researching the theory. That being said, I also don't think Creationism offers a satisfactory theory for the scientific community because it requires a great deal of faith.

The hard thing for me in accepting the Theory of Evolution is that it seems that those that I argue with about it always falls back on, "well, it happened over billions and billions of years". Just wish I was shown something a little more concrete.

To answer your last question, I would obviously have to say that evolutionists probably understand evolutionary theory better than creationists. I'm sure there are many creationists who have no desire to even look into evolution.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That being said, I also don't think Creationism offers a satisfactory theory for the scientific community because it requires a great deal of faith.
I don't think "faith" is that big an issue. There are plenty of religious scientists. It's more the "disregard of evidence" that the scientific community has a problem with.

The hard thing for me in accepting the Theory of Evolution is that it seems that those that I argue with about it always falls back on, "well, it happened over billions and billions of years". Just wish I was shown something a little more concrete.
What do you want to know?

Booko

Deviled Hen
I'm sure with proper education and understanding, creationist would not remain so given that science has completely destroyed that theory to the point that not even faith can adequately justify believe in it.

No, some would likely remain so, because they will not be able to reeducate themselves to believe their creation stories are anything but true in the most literal interpretation.

And therein lies the problem.

If someone realizes that all reading is interpretation, you have somewhere to go.

With people who operate from the premise that no interpretive choice is involved in choosing to read something in it's most literal meaning, there's no place to go.

The problem is not a scientific one at this level, but stems from a lack of understanding in language arts.

Language is the real barrier here -- not science.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
What do you want to know?

Everything! ;). I guess I'm still looking for a somewhat detailed synopsis (oxymoron?) of how we became what we are today after billions of years of time that seems plausible. I know the jist of evolutionary driving forces (mutations, survival of the fittest, time, etc...) but it almost seems that it requires as much faith as creationism. I'm sure it has to do with my finite mind and not being able to grasp what can happen in billions of years. Probably just requires more studying on my part.

Aqualung

Tasty
In my experience, nobody understands the theory of evolution. Or, I don't understand it and therefore don't understand what people are saying and therefore assume that they don't understand what they're saying.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin

I'm my experience, no they don't generally understand it. But also a lot of them don't want to understand it either, they're perfectly happy believing in Creationism, and really that's fine with me.

I think a lot think they understand it, and they probably do, but speaking for myself I'm still trying to wrap my head around some the ideas. I think that I understand it, but to someone with more education than I have, I may know nothing.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Very few do. I suspect it's connected to social stigmas among the religious that find it offensive and insecure to seek an answer outside of God.
I used to think so until I tested it in the real life. It is true that proponents tend to be more educated in the theory of evolution, but I was also surprised to find that many aren't.
Proponents of evolutionary theory for sure. For the reason I stated above.

Ori

Angel slayer
There seem to be a large number of creationists who do not look into evolution fully, I guess their belief system stops them from taking the plunge.

But not all creationists are ignorant, I have met a few who admit they could be wrong.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Everything! ;). I guess I'm still looking for a somewhat detailed synopsis (oxymoron?) of how we became what we are today after billions of years of time that seems plausible. I know the jist of evolutionary driving forces (mutations, survival of the fittest, time, etc...) but it almost seems that it requires as much faith as creationism. I'm sure it has to do with my finite mind and not being able to grasp what can happen in billions of years. Probably just requires more studying on my part.
Even though his views on religion don't gain him much favour in most church-going circles, I'd suggest Richard Dawkins' Climbing Mount Improbable for a good synopsis of evolutionary theory.

Also, I do see your point to a certain extent: a theory without evidence is likely a matter of faith. However, there is a huge body of evidence that supports evolution... though I understand that me saying "there's lots of evidence" isn't exactly evidence for you.

meogi

/wave Sunstone :)
Sunstone said:
No. I believe many to have a general knowledge of 'things change over time,' but I don't think they understand why or how. I also believe that pseudoscience is afoot in almost every creationist challenge of evolution. (Radiocarbon anyone?)

Sunstone said:
Again I'm gonna choose no. Although true proponents are much more likely to understand, there are many who are just out to troll or have not studied it in-depth.

Sunstone said:
I think it's silly to suggest that either side is more knowledgeable in general than the other. Whoever does the most critical research is going to know best. Evolution is such an immense theory that few people can grasp it in entirety. Luckily, we have many here (on both sides) who I would qualify for that category :)

jringer04 said:
I guess I'm still looking for a somewhat detailed synopsis (oxymoron?) of how we became what we are today after billions of years of time that seems plausible. I know the jist of evolutionary driving forces (mutations, survival of the fittest, time, etc...) but it almost seems that it requires as much faith as creationism. I'm sure it has to do with my finite mind and not being able to grasp what can happen in billions of years. Probably just requires more studying on my part.
Not billions of years. Billions of years total, but change can happen very quickly. Just think, mammals didn't even really 'rule' the earth until 20 million years ago. That's 1/50th of a billion years. Our reference point in terms of life on earth is extremely minute.

You may enjoy this video (it's named badly):
YouTube - Evolution for ID-iots (version 2.0)=

joeboonda

Yeah, all the creationists I know of, including myself understand the theory of evolution to be be hogwash.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No, some would likely remain so, because they will not be able to reeducate themselves to believe their creation stories are anything but true in the most literal interpretation.
That is true. Some will continue to take faith over what science has proven. The language barrier is an interesting point though.

Yeah, all the creationists I know of, including myself understand the theory of evolution to be be hogwash.
How so? You don't have to look hard to find articles that are about artifacts proving the world to be much older than the 6 to 10 thousand year old creationism earth. Also, the effects of the Ice Age are also obvious. Especially if you live in Indian, where the northern and central parts where flattened by the Ice Age, while the southern part still has many mountains where the ice did not cover. The Grand Canyon has the markings of an ancient earth, and the Sphinx is believed to have been built when Egypt was a thriving jungle, making it much, much older than the young earth.

Yerda

Veteran Member
No.

Sunstone said:
It depends what ''proponents'' means. Most of my friends are atheistic or very mildly theistic and if you were to ask them how humans got here I'm sure they would mention evolution. Few of them understand or show any interest in it whatsoever.

Booko

Deviled Hen
In my experience, nobody understands the theory of evolution. Or, I don't understand it and therefore don't understand what people are saying and therefore assume that they don't understand what they're saying.

Ponder how many years and how much effort you would have to put into studying to become a biologist.

When you've put in that much time and effort, you'd understand it. ;)

That's the problem when it comes to difficult areas of study, like much of science.

It's not just science, though. People make "arguments" about the validity of Biblical texts when they have equally scanty knowledge about the manuscript history, languages, history, and other areas of study required to understand that particular topic. It would probably take years to understand that too. :)

Booko

Deviled Hen
Very few do. I suspect it's connected to social stigmas among the religious that find it offensive and insecure to seek an answer outside of God.

This is what I don't get: What kind of answers are ever outside of God? Where did our brains and senses come from? :confused: