• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

do avatars affect...

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yeah...it's an influence.

And there has been occasion where my would-be opponent tries a lame discussion...
and then I note his own avatar to him.

People do personify with their avatars (of course they do)
Sometimes that choice is poorly made.

I do suspect some Freudian slips.

idav

Being
Premium Member
how you respond to a post?
personally i have a weak spot for pictures of cute animals and sexy/mysterious people
:D
I try not to let the avatar affect my posting so I have to sometimes check myself. Same for gender.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I try not to let the avatar affect my posting so I have to sometimes check myself. Same for gender.

it's funny you mention gender....
i don't know how many times i've been confused for a male...
even though it's right there for everyone to see...and i wonder if my androgynous avatar has anything to do with that...

Draka

Wonder Woman
even though it's right there for everyone to see...and i wonder if my androgynous avatar has anything to do with that...

I don't think it matters for some people. They just don't bother paying any attention. I've even had the occasional reference towards me being a "he". I've always had my gender marked, my title says "Earth Mother" and almost all my avatars have been quite feminine in some way. Some people just don't care to pay attention. :p

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't think it matters for some people. They just don't bother paying any attention. I've even had the occasional reference towards me being a "he". I've always had my gender marked, my title says "Earth Mother" and almost all my avatars have been quite feminine in some way. Some people just don't care to pay attention. :p
Yer a female!?!?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Don't be silly, just like with MMORPGs, there are no women on RF. Only men who play female characters. :D

*running joke in online games like WoW*
All women are men, all young women are FBI agents, and all men live alone in their parent's basements grinding through MMOs.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
how you respond to a post?
personally i have a weak spot for pictures of cute animals and sexy/mysterious people
:D
I don't think it affects how I respond to a given post, but it affects to a certain extent how I view the person. It's the only visual cue available.

Gjallarhorn's adorable kitten with glasses is sooo cute, and Father Heathen's current little white seal or whatever it is, is also very very cute. I have a weak spot for cute little animals.

In my observation, women are mistaken for men on a forum, but men are rarely if ever mistaken for a woman. It's like the default assumption is man- so if the avatar does not show femininity, it must be a man.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Yes. But, avatars don't affect my posting as much as it does my blood pressure.

For instance....Dr. Strange.....:beach:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
doppelgänger;2673365 said:
Perhaps I should switch back. Who knew the good doctor was such a chick magnet?

I like the piercing, perceptive blue eye.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I notice FH's avatars. I don't pay attention to others unless they are photos. Seems to make posts more personable.

Renji

Now I think that sometimes it does affect. When I started using my 7 y/o pic as my avatar, someone actually thought that I was just a child and didn't take me seriously. I even needed to tell him my age because of that. :(