• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do animals pray to God ?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Do you think animals, insects, bacteria, viruses pray/can pray to God for their requirements, desires etc ?

Thoughts:)

I doubt it, gods are human concepts, i don't believe most other animals have the infrastructure or language to spread the word

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I don't know about praying, but the evidence seems clear that we're hardly the only species to have spiritual experiences: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/animal-emotions/200911/do-animals-have-spiritual-experiences-yes-they-do?amp

After all, we're animals, too. If they have pretty much the same physical makeup as a human, I think it's more than safe to assume that their inner world is just as rich as ours. Shoot, even if they're not so similar to us physically, such as octopi, who are known to be extremely intelligent creatures.

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
Especially the first cat. isn't it ? :)

Who was the first cat?

I don't know if you ever saw a series called "red dwarf". In the program evolved cats considered one od the crew of red dwarf to be a god because he smuggled a cat on board and looked after it. 3 million years later he became a god of cats.

Very funny (but dated) program that has earned cult status

ChristineM

Premium Member
What made you think that prayer require words/language ? Can dumb person pray ?

Language, even those who cannot speak understand complex language. Understanding of the god concept, a need for the gid concept... Several reasons

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Do you think animals, insects, bacteria, viruses pray/can pray to God for their requirements, desires etc ?

Yes. Sai Baba had a pet elephant, who definitely showed gratitude when Sai Baba gave Her what she wanted (prayed for)

Heyo

Veteran Member

While I don't think that non-human animals believe in/pray to a god, some have "funeral rituals".
Funeral rituals and ancestor worship is thought to be the earliest step in the development of spiritualism in homo.
Gods are a very recent (on an anthropological timescale) invention.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
When I hear birds singing, that might be their way of praying.

IF we originate from apes THEN I would not be surprised that apes also pray

I mean, animals try to impress each other; to impress God or to pray is not such a big leap to me

upload_2020-11-23_17-39-17.png
upload_2020-11-23_17-42-4.png
upload_2020-11-23_17-42-52.png