• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Animals Have Religion?

Viker

Häxan
Definitely a mantis but more interested in me then playing until a butterfly flew by. It's front arms shot out, it missed, it waggled them about a bit then turned back to look at me.

Maybe it was deciding whether I was worth praying to. Or maybe thinking, i missed lunch and it's your fault for distracting me.
Maybe you we're more seemingly delicious. It just couldn't figure out how to eat you.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
images (1).jpeg

Do gods worship gods?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
True, and it's an ill defined term for sure, as it's amorphous amongst groups. So I would say the "veneration/celebration/reverence for something greater then Oneself"
Dogs. They often venerate in my opinion, and I think it is because they are wolves that have been genetically bred to remain puppies in their minds. So they venerate in that sense, considering some to be greater than themselves.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Well, do they? That's the question I am posing. Do Animals have Religion, of you think they do, tell me why that is.
In Hinduism some practise "Sohum" mantra, meaning "God I Am"

Cat's might practise "I am God" mantra

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Well, do they? That's the question I am posing. Do Animals have Religion, of you think they do, tell me why that is.
In Hinduism some practise "I am the servant of my Master, God"

Dogs seem to practise this

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

And if you think it's a load of rubbish, why not let me elicit your opinion?

According to a blog that I will link to, although I'm posting the gist of it here, has this to say about animals and religious reverence.

"Yes, they absolutely do. Let's begin with the elephant, which is one of the most intelligent non-human beings on the planet. The average person probably has no idea that these animals worship the moon, as they have been observed waving branches at the waxing cycle. They also take ritual baths in the moonlight when it's full, and they will bury their dead with food and flowers (a common practice among ancient humans to accompany the deceased into the afterlife). Not only that, but elephants also show additional veneration for the sun and stars. Chimps have been seen dancing at the onset of storms and at water sources, that can only be interpreted as ritualistic or religious behavior, and when a member of their community dies, their funerary customs are nearly identical to that of humans, which include silence, corpse preparation, and visitation. It appears that the more intelligent a species is, the more likely they are to believe in or venerate Higher Powers"

Chris Aldridge's Blog and Website: Animals Do Have Religion
I probably wouldn't call it religion just yet, maybe a rudimentary spirituality, but there is no doubt animals like ourselves are definitely evolving into sapient beings.

I sometimes really do wonder if the planet of the apes is a sci-fi prophecy in the making!

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I probably wouldn't call it religion just yet, maybe a rudimentary spirituality, but there is no doubt animals like ourselves are definitely evolving into sapient beings.

I sometimes really do wonder if the planet of the apes is a sci-fi prophecy in the making!

I agree with you. Freaking crazy. (Someone check Hell's temp). Yes, it may not be a full "religion", but I certainly see developing spirituality within the animal kingdom, especially amongst the more intelligent of species.