• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do all people judge?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Yes, all people judge. Judging isn't necessarily a bad thing-- it is condemnation that is a bad thing. The harm comes from when we judge unfairly or we judge negatively about something while doing something just as bad or worse. Or if it causes us to be "holier than thou" or if it harms someone.

Curious George

Veteran Member
So not all judgement leads to action?

Not so sure I said that, for even inaction can be considered action along the lines of choosing not to make a choice is still making a choice.

What I suggested is that what judgement leads to is contingent on that in which the judgement is rooted.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Not so sure I said that, for even inaction can be considered action along the lines of choosing not to make a choice is still making a choice.

What I suggested is that what judgement leads to is contingent on that in which the judgement is rooted.

With inaction, I think you mean by not giving the drug-addict money so he can buy drugs. Inaction would be a kindness in that case. It won't stop the drug use by any means but at least you wouldn't be enabling that person.

(One time, my late brother gave a man asking for money the address to the shelter that he (my brother) was helped at).

Gui10

Not sure what you mean by judging but I do judge pretty much everybody I meet in the first seconds of me seing them. What it does for me is it might alter the way a approach them depending on what I think of them but if i get lucky enough to engage in a decent conversation, sometimes my judgement can be wrong and I will change the way I see this person after the conversation.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I try not to judge others at first impressions, since you never know when a person is just having a hard day or something. I generally like to give more than one chance- although, at times, I give in to my human side.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Being judgmental is completely natural. It can be positive and negative.
What it leads to is far too broad a question! It can lead to our survival or destruction, to our happiness or misery etc etc.

no-body

Judgement is a part of humanity. I wouldn't label it as good or bad or necessarily as a thing to be rid of. That doesn't mean however that we must always act on our judgement. It should have its place like everything else but like over thinking constant over judgement will lead to unnecessary pain and suffering. We should aim for a higher plane of thought where we simply allow each other to be. If someone acts inappropriately then we can deal with it as it occurs and limit our judgement to no more than is needed to deal with the situation.

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member
With inaction, I think you mean by not giving the drug-addict money so he can buy drugs. Inaction would be a kindness in that case. It won't stop the drug use by any means but at least you wouldn't be enabling that person.

(One time, my late brother gave a man asking for money the address to the shelter that he (my brother) was helped at).

sometimes the best course of action is inaction

sort of a overly simplified generalized version of game theory :D

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Judging is necessary for basic survival. We are constantly making judgements but we should be judging actions, not persons. If you meet a crackhead on the street you can make the judgement that this person's actions are surely detrimental to him and his addiction may cause him to do harm to you. This judgement is good in that it allows you to protect yourself from this person. You have judged an action. However if you look at this crackhead at consider him a worthless pile of human fecal matter because of his addiction, then you have judge the person, and you leave yourself open to judgement.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
We can view judgement as analogous with the ability to be discerning, or to be able to tell things apart from each other. This is so basic to the survival of any organism that it exists in all life forms to some degree. All life can tell "this is me" and "this is not-me." What other differences they can discern depends on the organism and what senses they are equipped with. Arguably, some of the kinds of discernment humans use is not strictly necessary for survival, but the ability to tell "A" from "B" is so basic to our neurological functioning you don't exactly get to pick and choose where you can and can't tell things apart. What the organism (human or otherwise) does after it decides "this is A and that is B" is very contextual.

Judging (telling things apart) =/= judgmental (excessively critical). Making a judgement does not have to course into being judgmental.

There's another facet of judging I haven't considered as much here. Judgement can be about discernment, but beyond that it can be about opinion. Again, judging still wouldn't equate to being judgmental. One can hold opinions without being excessively critical of those who differ in perspective.

Me Myself

Back to my username
No, we are not all the same.

We need to judge. Further more, without our ability to judge, we would be comatose pacients.

If we judged everyone equally we would be unable to figure out who is the best for each job, who we can trust and who we can`t, etc, etc.

Instead of ceasing to pass judgement, we most continually refine it to make them always better.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
No, we are not all the same.

We need to judge. Further more, without our ability to judge, we would be comatose pacients.

If we judged everyone equally we would be unable to figure out who is the best for each job, who we can trust and who we can`t, etc, etc.

Instead of ceasing to pass judgement, we most continually refine it to make them always better.

All people are different. :) Judging others unfairly will cause others to see the person doing it as a hypocrite.
There is a New Testament verse for your last line :"First, take the log out of your own eye and you will be able to see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother's eye". I am too hot to want to look up the exact verse- but that is the gist of it. :)

Me Myself

Back to my username
All people are different. :) Judging others unfairly will cause others to see the person doing it as a hypocrite.
There is a New Testament verse for your last line :"First, take the log out of your own eye and you will be able to see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother's eye". I am too hot to want to look up the exact verse- but that is the gist of it. :)

Oh I agree completely! We must trulywork to make our judgements to be as fair as posible, and the way to do this is as Jesus said: work in yourself all you can, then you`ll be better fit to help others.

But as Jesus said, judging others is important, and more important is to judge yourself to the best of your abilities, so you will be better when judging others. Idealy, then the others become better at judging themselves and they help you with the logs that you missed out. That, or everyone tries and ends up penetrating the log further till it hits the brain. o.o

Let`s pray, try and hope for the best :D