• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DNA - Blueprint for Life?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
All procreating organisms ever found, and still being discovered, share the same building blocks...DNA, RNA, & proteins. (Some non-replicating viruses only have RNA.)

Because of this similarity within each organism's genetic code, scientists declare this as evidence that all living things are related, descended from a common ancestor. Passed on from one species to the next.

Don't we know from observation and experience that when complex information systems are discovered, there is always an intelligent source behind it? And considering the extreme complexity of DNA, the most complex of all functionally specific information ever found... it really amazes me how many people ignore those documented observations and experiences!

I mean, we're not talking about life forms without design, either...extremely few look like the Mucinex Mucus Man!

We observe elegant forms of life, with exquisite design. (And many are deadly to humans, that's true. [The Scriptures briefy explain this.] Was it that way, initially? That's another subject.)

The genetic similarity between organisms -- Homo sapiens included -- are extolled by many scientists as evidence for all organisms distant kinship with each other. Even tho the anatomical diversity is so great between living things, random mutations is supposed to account for it....most all within the 560-million-year time frame. Not the 3.8 billion year time frame, as some disingenuously promote.

This similarity of each lifeform's genetic coding proteins, to me, is not evidence of random chance, but rather evidence that only one God / Creator was behind all life discovered. He perfectly replicated these genes from one organism to another when creating, whatever provided the most beneficial function.

If scientists find silicon-based life, with a different blueprint other than DNA, I'll consider the possibility of another Creator. But I certainly would not accept a "mindless and random chance" explanation! Unless the discovered lifeforms do look like the Mucinex Mucus Man! Lol!

And this microevolution among living things that we do observe within species, the ability of the genetic code to change gradually, was actually engineered that way by Jehovah God....He wanted us humans - His children - each one to enjoy eternal life under His guidance. (That was and is God's purpose for man, here on Earth - Revelation 21:3-4) Living hundreds of years, and more, we would observe these changes, this evolution, within animal and plant kinds, so we could enjoy life to the full! Isn't variety called the 'spice of life'?

Just my opinion, based on what I see and know.

Peace to all.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Don't we know from observation and experience that when complex information systems are discovered, there is always an intelligent source behind it? And considering the extreme complexity of DNA, the most complex of all functionally specific information ever found... it really amazes me how many people ignore those documented observations and experiences!

The fact that cells can divide and keep dividing from conception until they result in a fully formed creature is nothing short of miraculous! The information in the DNA is extremely complex....certainly NOT the result of chance mutations and accidental processes.

Every cell knows what it is supposed to become and where it is suppose to be in the body.

No accidents these......

images
images

images
images
images

images
images

images
images

images
images

images
images

Every one a work of art.....crafted....designed to reproduce replicas of themselves.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
All procreating organisms ever found, and still being discovered, share the same building blocks...DNA, RNA, & proteins. (Some non-replicating viruses only have RNA.)

Because of this similarity within each organism's genetic code, scientists declare this as evidence that all living things are related, descended from a common ancestor. Passed on from one species to the next.

I mean, we're not talking about life forms without design, either...extremely few look like the Mucinex Mucus Man!

We observe elegant forms of life, with exquisite design. (And many are deadly to humans, that's true. [The Scriptures briefy explain this.] Was it that way, initially? That's another subject.)

The genetic similarity between organisms -- Homo sapiens included -- are extolled by many scientists as evidence for all organisms distant kinship with each other. Even tho the anatomical diversity is so great between living things, random mutations is supposed to account for it....most all within the 560-million-year time frame. Not the 3.8 billion year time frame, as some disingenuously promote.

This similarity of each lifeform's genetic coding proteins, to me, is not evidence of random chance, but rather evidence that only one God / Creator was behind all life discovered. He perfectly replicated these genes from one organism to another when creating, whatever provided the most beneficial function.

If scientists find silicon-based life, with a different blueprint other than DNA, I'll consider the possibility of another Creator. But I certainly would not accept a "mindless and random chance" explanation! Unless the discovered lifeforms do look like the Mucinex Mucus Man! Lol!

And this microevolution among living things that we do observe within species, the ability of the genetic code to change gradually, was actually engineered that way by Jehovah God....He wanted us humans - His children - each one to enjoy eternal life under His guidance. (That was and is God's purpose for man, here on Earth - Revelation 21:3-4) Living hundreds of years, and more, we would observe these changes, this evolution, within animal and plant kinds, so we could enjoy life to the full! Isn't variety called the 'spice of life'?

Peace to all.

I dont understand. How did you get intelligent source outside the bible? Are you expressing a fact or an isolated opinion about the workings of life not studied scientifically?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The fact that cells can divide and keep dividing from conception until they result in a fully formed creature is nothing short of miraculous! The information in the DNA is extremely complex....certainly NOT the result of chance mutations and accidental processes.

Every cell knows what it is supposed to become and where it is suppose to be in the body.

No accidents these......

images
images

images
images
images

images
images

images
images

images
images

images
images

Every one a work of art.....crafted....designed to reproduce replicas of themselves.
I think you forgot to post the not so pretty pictures of what is essentially the same thing.

Jumi

What you say we know from observation and experience is actually a desire to believe that because many "complex" seem to be related to intelligent creatures that everything must be so. If we think, why "must" anything be the way want it to be, we're not interested in the reality of this universe but rather we desire there to be antropomorphic creation. Someone like us, who created all good and evil, ugly and beautiful, rotten, toxic, healthy and fresh things for us.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I certainly would not accept a "mindless and random chance" explanation!

That's your choice, but it's a guess on your part. You have no way to rule out a blind, undirected process. You're merely saying that you just can't imagine how a complex system could self-organize, and on that basis alone, ruling the possibility out - an informal logical fallacy called an argument from incredulity. What one can imagine does not limit what nature can accomplish.

This is the result of beginning with the undemonstrated premise that life was created by Jehovah, and back engineering an argument that seems to lead to that premise then offered as if it were a logical conclusion derived from that argument. This allows you to not only unjustifiably reject the possibility of a natural process, but to even name the creator by name.

If you go the other direction, beginning with what is known to be true and derive valid conclusions from the application of reason to evidence, it is impossible to justifiably rule out the naturalistic possibility. Complexity alone is not proof of intelligent design. The ID will tell you the same, which is why they are looking for irreducible and/or specified complexity, not mere complexity.

Twilight Hue

What you say we know from observation and experience is actually a desire to believe that because many "complex" seem to be related to intelligent creatures that everything must be so. If we think, why "must" anything be the way want it to be, we're not interested in the reality of this universe but rather we desire there to be antropomorphic creation. Someone like us, who created all good and evil, ugly and beautiful, rotten, toxic, healthy and fresh things for us.
That's a good point. I think it's people's personal desires more than reality itself that gravitates some toward the concept of design.

Almost always creationist use things like pretty and pleasant pictures to forward further their ideologies of creationism or design. While pleasant to look at, crediting the photographer, the pictures really have no impact otherwise.

It's a telling sign romanticism, anthropomorphism, and amorphous allusions play more of a role here then anything else.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Don't we know from observation and experience that when complex information systems are discovered, there is always an intelligent source behind it?
No we don't, which is why scientists who work with such biological systems don't say there is.

And considering the extreme complexity of DNA, the most complex of all functionally specific information ever found... it really amazes me how many people ignore those documented observations and experiences!
Err . . .just what documented observations and experiences are you talking about?

You are aware, are you not, that not all designs require a designer?

What 560-million-year time frame? When did it begin and when did it end?

Okay. Believe whatever you wish. No biggie. :shrug:

And I think that's how we're all taking it, as your opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Twilight Hue

Really? Then you know more than scientists.

Enlighten us.

By knowing what it isn't, like this notably pathetic dribble of an excuse for creation "science" bearing pretty much the same inference that I used.

We know because people actually studied and learned about biology. Micro chemistry and bio biochemistry. Like those at Nottingham University.

Or Carl Sagan.....

Watson and Crick especially......

https://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/discovery-of-dna-structure-and-function-watson-397

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
By knowing what it isn't, like this notably pathetic dribble of an excuse for creation "science" bearing pretty much the same inference that I used.

We know because people actually studied and learned about biology. Micro chemistry and bio biochemistry. Like those at Nottingham University.

Or Carl Sagan.....

Watson and Crick especially......

Discovery of DNA Double Helix: Watson and Crick | Learn Science at Scitable
And the evidence that life began accidentally is....?

You skipped that part. You said you knew.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

No, not because of "this similarity." It's not the script itself, but the developing story it tells.
No, we don't. You're extrapolating from human technology, which does have an intelligent cause, but we know, and have observed, great complexity arising without intention or design. Natural chemical interaction, natural selection or a simple algorithm can produce amazing complexity.

"It really amazes me how many people ignore those documented observations and experiences!"

DNA is not complex, though, as a polymer, it can be long. The non-intentional mechanisms of natural selection completely account for the encoded blueprint.

Elegance is in the eye of the beholder. Why would a mucus man be any less complex than a baboon?

The 'design', beauty and complexity of life is accounted for by natural causes. No 'designer' is necessary.

Where do the scriptures "explain" biological elegance? From what I've observed, scripture does a great deal of declaring and attributing, but very little explaining.
No. No-one has proposed random mutation as an explanation for diversity. Where did you get that idea?

It's the anatomical similarity between organisms that evidences genetic relatedness. Are you unaware of the similarities and fossil evidence of gradual divergence?
"Genetic coding proteins?"

But no-one's proposing random chance. You don't seem to understand the mechanisms of evolution.

If genes were perfectly replicated there would be no variation, and no evolution. Offspring are not genetic clones of parents.
Why would silicon based life be evidence of a different creator? And why would human aesthetic appeal have anything to do with complexity?

Now you're just preaching; spouting unsupported religious folklore.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I still don’t follow you. I’m sorry.

Sorry. When you said (3)

"Information systems are discovered, there is always an intelligent source behind it? And considering the extreme complexity of DNA...

...evidence that only one God / Creator was behind all life discovered."

How did you mentally, not by whats written, decide there is an intelligent source?

Was it a revelation?

Before I heard of religion I never had a sense of "something more/grander". Wasnt and isnt in my DNA (Coinsedently in tbat same post)

Id assume you had that feeling before you read scripture? Or heard of god?

If not, how did the bible click beyond it "just makes sense"?

The Dharma is perfect fact. Unlike other facts, I rather follow the Dharma. So I assume its something much deeper than it being facts.

How did you come up with the universe and DNA come from an intelligent being?

If that were true, Everyone would know; belief and any scripture are not prequisite to fact.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why do you say that, when the steps that led to the complexity are perfectly explainable by natural means? There is no need to propose a magical, supernatural cause.
No accidents these......
True. They're products of natural selection. Who ever proposed anything accidental?
nmEvery one a work of art.....crafted....designed to reproduce replicas of themselves.
No. As a matter of fact, each of your examples reproduces sexually -- a process designed :)rolleyes:) to mix genes, producing the variation natural selection needs for adaptation.
And the evidence that life began accidentally is....?
Presumed.
There is no reason to propose magic when ordinary chemical reactions can be observed producing the components of life every day.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Peace to all.
Molecules and atoms have incredibly complex structure, and their interesting properties depend on that complex structure. Therefore its functional complexity all the way down to the subatomic level. Life is no more complex or functionally rich than the quark-gluon dynamics of nucleons that occurs inside every atom.

So repeat after me. Everything in the universe (including the universe) is structurally and dynamically complex and functionally rich, at every scale. You were not taught about this complexity in school because then no would would ever pass any exam. The things you were taught were mere toys that you could be expected to understand and write in the exams. They have their uses, especially in human made stuff where we make a great deal of effort to "sanitize" the surroundings artificially into very simple structures that our limited minds can manipulate. But nature is not like this at all. Never was.