• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Divine Feminine Symbol?

stellaluna

Hi, I literally have no idea where to ask this, so I'm choosing this folder. :grimacing:

I read once that the serpent/snake was a symbol of female divinity in ancient civilizations/religions. Is there a way to find out if this is true? I've done some searching and I haven't found anything particularly academic.

sooda

Veteran Member
Hi, I literally have no idea where to ask this, so I'm choosing this folder. :grimacing:

I read once that the serpent/snake was a symbol of female divinity in ancient civilizations/religions. Is there a way to find out if this is true? I've done some searching and I haven't found anything particularly academic.

Look up Ouroboros.. Its not feminine.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Previous to recorded history there probably isn't a concept of divinity, but there are lots of ancient, small, crude statues of pregnant females. Its not clear whether the concept of divinity existed when they were in use. Divinity seems to me likely modern and related to Math, logic and philosophy. Its like an abstraction of an abstraction, dealing with hidden connections and unanswered questions. You can abstractly refer to the forces behind individual events such as the forces behind nature, behind life, behind death, but then you don't need divinity to do that. You can consider the ocean to be force or the air to be a force. Divinity is something where you search for the commonality and the uniting force or when you search for how they relate to one another. When you ask how the motions of the stars relate to the weather that is like a divine question to me since its not as obvious as asking how the sun relates to the weather. Obviously when the sun comes you have warmer weather, but what do the constellations have to do with it? Then you are wondering about the hidden connection between the sun and the stars and the weather, and that is where divinity starts to have something in common with your questions.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
SERPENTS ...

In ancient myths, the female deity was often symbolized as a serpent or dragon. The picture of the cobra as symbol of mystic insight and wisdom is used as a hieroglyphic sign signifying goddess, and it precedes the name of any goddess in Egyptian writing.

Goddess Mythology see the references on the bottom of that page

dingdao

The eternal Tao cannot be told - Tao Te Ching

OK, delving into tantra, a little.
If you engage in prolonged sex, say 1 to 2 hours, the missionary position is fine. When your partner closes his eyes he will have the strong image of a snake eating its tail.

PureX

Veteran Member
You may be thinking of the image of a snake circling back to swallow it's own tail. This was an ancient symbol for the perpetual cycle of life on Earth, and the Earth was considered a feminine expression of divinity because it gives birth and sustenance to all that lives.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In India, the Yantra.

iu

GoodbyeDave

The snake is generally an auspicious symbol, but not particularly feminine. In Greece it was one representation of Zeus Meilichios (bringer of prosperity) and also of Zeus Ktesios (guardian of the family's food). On Roman domestic altars, it often appears and is believed to be a guardian spirit. In Egypt there was a very popular goddess, represented as a cobra, a guardian of grain stores (keeping the mice away?) and a personal protectress: Renenutet in Egyptologist-speech, although Cleopatra would have said Remuti.

dfnj

Anything that is circular or curvaceous.

dfnj

Snake is the symbol for life. Mouth, digestion, and pooping.

dingdao

You may be thinking of the image of a snake circling back to swallow it's own tail. This was an ancient symbol for the perpetual cycle of life on Earth, and the Earth was considered a feminine expression of divinity because it gives birth and sustenance to all that lives.
If you don't believe me, try it. It only takes a couple of hours and a willing partner. And it's fun.

dingdao

It's not that the position looks like the snake. It's what you see (the image) when you close your eyes when you've been at it a couple of hours and continuing on.

dingdao

What is the sound of one hand clapping?
Hint: Wave one hand in the air or snap your fingers like you're in a beat club.
If you still don't get it, I can't help you.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
@stellaluna

Thanks for your interesting question :)

The answer is embedded in the ancient cultural Myths of Creation which deals with the creation of our Milky Way. If looking at the nocturnal view of the MW, we can observe this goning all around the Earth and this MW contours was named as a Serpent in many old cultures, as for instants in the Nors Mythology, the Midgaard Snake where Midgaard is the home of humans, the Earth. - The Divine Serpent

When dividing the celestial view into 2 hemispheres, the MW countours are mythologically described with the prime male and female deities, with the male representing the MW contours on the Earth northern hemisphere as seen here - The Greatest God in Heaven

On the Earth southern hemisphere the Milky Way contours represents the ancient perception of the prime female goddess, as for instants with the Egyptian Goddess Hathor, as seen here - The great Mother Goddess

In this way we have the connection with a Serpent and the prime Mother Goddess and as the creation in our Milky Way primarily takes place from the galactic center, the Mother Symbol is very logically, hence the Milky Way center was/is mythologically also symbolized as "The Cosmic Womb".

Hope this will get you a logical (and beautifull) explanation :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

There are many different symbols representing the divine
feminine, just about each culture adopted their own

A good place to start looking is google scholar, i just did a search for "symbols of divine feminine" and got 120,000 results, maybe not all valid.

Google Scholar