• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Differences between the Paganistic and Abrahamic views of "God"

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Abrahamics seem to approach God, or if you prefer, the divine through extremely rigid and dogmatic belief systems, in which there is a book of scripture the adherents accept is the word of God, and limit their experiences with God to rather it fits the book or not. Pagan religions on the other hand believe it's important to approach the divine your own way somewhat, that you don't need a book to tell you anything about god, because god can tell you itself, you can experience god directly. Pagans, on one hand, say that our religions are not for everyone, that everyone has their own path. Abrahamics, by contrast, say their religions hold the exclusive truth about the divine, and that one must believe their way to be saved. They also say that their scriptures should be the basis for knowing god, and that Pagans have nothing to stand on for our beliefs but self-desires and fancies. I would like to know, how does one prove this, that all Pagans have to stand on is self-desires? How can the Abrahamics prove we don't hear from God? I'd love to know.

(There I feel better now. This has been irking me for some time)

Comments, thoughts?

Onkara

. I would like to know, how does one prove this, that all Pagans have to stand on is self-desires? How can the Abrahamics prove we don't hear from God? I'd love to know.

Comments, thoughts?

Hi Senedjem
you are right, the fact that Abrahamic religions believe their approach is unquestionable due to their scripture was something which never occurred to me explicitly until I opened my eyes to other religions.

It is almost as if society needs to be convinced by the writing on the box before they buy the product.

Paganism is perhaps more "suck it and see". One needs to get into it and see if they can go with it for them personally. Once comfortable and committed one's heart and mind are opened to God. Your individual testimony is sufficient of that. Because all that distracts us is our own self inflated egocentricity, perhaps it is just down to finding what is right to open us to God.

This is why you correctly said all paths lead to God, in another post. Because really Paganism has just as much access to God as any other religion. The difference is that Paganism doesn't claim to have exclusive ownership, as does the Qu'ran.

Last edited:

Justin Thyme

Child of God
Abrahamics seem to approach God, or if you prefer, the divine through extremely rigid and dogmatic belief systems, in which there is a book of scripture the adherents accept is the word of God, and limit their experiences with God to rather it fits the book or not. Pagan religions on the other hand believe it's important to approach the divine your own way somewhat, that you don't need a book to tell you anything about god, because god can tell you itself, you can experience god directly. Pagans, on one hand, say that our religions are not for everyone, that everyone has their own path. Abrahamics, by contrast, say their religions hold the exclusive truth about the divine, and that one must believe their way to be saved. They also say that their scriptures should be the basis for knowing god, and that Pagans have nothing to stand on for our beliefs but self-desires and fancies. I would like to know, how does one prove this, that all Pagans have to stand on is self-desires? How can the Abrahamics prove we don't hear from God? I'd love to know.

Comments, thoughts?

Oh, I don't know, I've found a lot I have in common in my very generic Christian beliefs with my Pagan friends. You can find dogmatic people anywhere and also people who look only for differences. Start looking at what people have in common and suddenly the differences seem small.

I hold on to my belief that there is but one God and one can only come to God through Christ but I also believe that one can come to God through Christ while seeing that path as a completely different paradigm and describing it with a completely different lexicon.

How about us Dharmics? :p

Yes, I feel that Abrahamic religions, such as Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and the Bahai Faith, are narrower in their approach to God. And pagan religions, being that they do not have a holy book, take their Scriptures from the changing seasons, the will of Mother Earth, and wherever the wind blows, the sun shines, and where the waters flow.

Or maybe I'm just a hippy, lol.

Boethiah

Penguin
I think it depends on the person in question.

Infallible Holy Scripture only has any meaning if the believer invest his/her entire belief into the scripture. Human beings have the ability to reason and think. This is obvious. Replacing reasoning and thinking for holy scripture is where needless dogma comes into play.

That isn't to say there can't be a balance.

I try to find God wherever I can. I try to do a lot of different things that feel right to me to find God while also trying my very best to subscribe to the laws of my own religion. The independent investigation of truth does not stop at the door into an Abrahamic religion. It continues on. Spiritual growth keeps happening.

Of course, this is my own way. I don't personally believe God cares if I prostrate or sit in the woods or see God how I see It best. For others, following dogma is their most spiritually satisfying way. That is fine. Whatever floats their boat I say. Am I wrong in my following of an Abrahamic religion? I do not see it as restrictive at all. Others might perhaps. I just follow my own path.

Looking at the Scriptures of a religion will not always give you a clear image of the followers. The followers are human beings after all.