• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did the writers of Genesis have outside help?

• Total voters

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Subduction Zone,
What I was trying to calculate is how many electric windmills we would need to replace the oil we now use. Frankly this is way over my head but I have decided to post this here because I believe your intellect is up to the task if you choose to contemplate it. ~~~ I am hoping you do ~~~~~

World energy use in one year (2005):
Wind energy 369,553 MW
Oil energy 29,305,850,000 barrels of crude
_______

1 million barrels of oil = 73 GW

Worldwide there are now over two hundred thousand wind turbines operating, with a total nameplate capacity of 432 GW as of end 2015
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power

1 windmill = often 34.5 kV,

200,000 windmills produce 432 GW

The gigawatt (GW) is equal to one billion (109) watts or 1 gigawatt = 1000 megawatts

1 million barrels of oil = 73 GW

What I am trying to get at is the number of windmills we would need to replace the energy we are now getting from oil.
https://www.ocean.washington.edu/courses/envir215/energynumbers.pdf
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2174rank.html \https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2174rank.html

BTW there is no order in the items above. It is just a collection of internet facts

:)-

We have a long way to go before electricity makes a dent worldwide in energy production. But some European countries are producing a significant amount of their energy from renewable sources (wind, solar, tidal, etc) This image demonstrates that we are still using WAY too much oil:

Bp_world_energy_consumption_2016.gif

World energy consumption - Wikipedia

Ok, I believe you because you said it & I do not want to upset you at this moment in time.

May you and yours live long and prosper :)-
You should not believe me because I said it. You should believe me because I can support my claims. Which claim would you like to see supported? I will always support my claims when asked properly. You could look up the meaning of the Hebrew words chugh, the word used in the Isaiah quote for an inscribed circle, and Dure, the Hebrew word for ball. Which was not used in that verse.

james dixon

Premium Member
Did you fail geometry too? Circles are flat. Worse yet if you go to the original Hebrew the word used is that for an inscribed circle, as with a compass. Those are always flat.

By the way when one reads the Bible literally this is what tends to happen to that person:

60 Bible Verses Describing a Flat Earth Inside a Dome

There is a two dimensional view and a three dimensional view. When you draw a ball on a piece of paper it is in a two dimensional form. And then there are people who think in one dimension. I believe it is this one dimensional view that is obscuring the reality

But frankly I could care less. It is the energy future that my grandchildren will have to live with that concerns me, not the flat earth theory.

I encourage you to visit
https://tinyurl.com/y73f5l3h

james dixon

Premium Member
I'm done; back to the energy forum.
btw I am taking your energy graph with me.
If you do not want me to use your graph you have 15 minutes to say NO
time 4:49PM cst
gone at 5:04
:)-

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There is a two dimensional view and a three dimensional view. When you draw a ball on a piece of paper it is in a two dimensional form. And then there are people who think in one dimension. I believe it is this one dimensional view that is obscuring the reality

But frankly I could care less. It is the energy future that my grandchildren will have to live with that concerns me, not the flat earth theory.

I encourage you to visit

I encourage you to visit
By the way the phrase is "I could not care less". When you say "I could care less" you are saying that a concept matters to you, we simply do not know how much. So you just claimed that the concept of a flat Earth matters to you.

And yes, peak oil and global warming are two freight trains heading towards us. We need a solution soon. Wind is one of the main contenders. Solar is advancing quickly too.

Your geometry still needs some work.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
Genesis is not as old as you think.

Genesis describes the "glass"; and glass was believed to be around 3500 BCE; thus, if our conclusion about the approximate time glass was used by man, that dates Genesis no earlier than 3500 BCE.

The inference from God to Noah: "Take 1 pair unclean, 2 pair clean ... into the ark" indicates that the author of Genesis knew of dietary laws; which derived from the Torah ... which dates back to 1300 BCE.

james dixon

Premium Member

There is a side here that no one has contemplated or at least I have not seen it.

We are aliens on this planet. We did not somehow come from molten rock that once covered earth, we came from afar.

And those aliens that planted the seed of life on this planet are still with us today and yes, they played a part in the creation of Genesis

At least in my view :)-

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Genesis is not as old as you think.

Genesis describes the "glass"; and glass was believed to be around 3500 BCE; thus, if our conclusion about the approximate time glass was used by man, that dates Genesis no earlier than 3500 BCE.

The inference from God to Noah: "Take 1 pair unclean, 2 pair clean ... into the ark" indicates that the author of Genesis knew of dietary laws; which derived from the Torah ... which dates back to 1300 BCE.
Modern biblical scholars lean towards a 6th century BCE time for the writing of Genesis. This is just one article that explains why:

When Was Genesis Written ... And Why? (RJS)

gnostic

The Lost One
The Exodus happened around 1513 BCE or so. Thus Moses wrote the Pentateuch around that time, the 40 years in the desert of Arabia.
If you were to add all the reigns of the Kings of Judah from 1 & 2 Kings, starting with the destruction of the temple and Jerusalem, at 587 or 586 BCE, then eventually you would arrive at Solomon’s 40-year reign: 970 - 931 BCE.

And based on 1 Kings 6:1, when Solomon started on the project of building the temple, it was his 4th year in his reign, and it stated that the exodus out of Egypt occurred 480 years ago:

“1 Kings 6:1” said:
6 1 In the four hundred eightieth year after the Israelites came out of the land of Egypt, in the fourth year of Solomon’s reign over Israel, in the month of Ziv, which is the second month, he began to build the house of the Lord.

This would mean the exodus would have occur in 1447 or 1446 BCE (967 or 967 BCE + 480 = 1446 or 1447 BCE)

Sorry, but how did you arrive at 1513 BCE, Grandliseur?

1513 BCE would mean in Egypt, it would have occurred during the reign of Amenhotep I (1524 - 1503 BCE), who was the 2nd king of the 18th dynasty. If that’s the case, then Moses’ birth would be 1593 BCE, would mean the Hyksos Khiyan was king (15th dynasty).

1447 BCE would mean the exodus occur in the reign of Thutmose III (1479 - 1424 BCE). Moses would be born around 1527 BCE, in the reign of Ahmose I, 1549 - 1524 BCE.

The problem with either dates, yours and mine, is the reference to Pithom and Rameses, two cities being built before Moses’ birth:

“Exodus 1:11” said:
11 Therefore they set taskmasters over them to oppress them with forced labor. They built supply cities, Pithom and Rameses, for Pharaoh.

Neither cities have been conclusively found, archaeologically. But what we do know is that neither Khiyan, nor Amenhotep I, build any city.

The biblical Rameses is actually Pi-Ramesses meaning the “House of Ramesses” and Ramesses II (1279 - 1213 BCE) was 19th dynasty king, who succeeded his father Seti.

There are no other city named Rameses (in Exodus) or Pi-Ramesses, other than the one named after Ramesses II.

So the problem here, the city is far younger than Moses’s supposed birth. Pi-Ramesses couldn’t be built in the reign of Khiyan or that of Amenhotep I, because Pi-Ramesses didn’t exist at either time.

Clearly the person writing Exodus don’t know Egyptian history that well, and it doesn’t help at all, when the Exodus don’t have single name who ruled at that time of Moses’ birth or who reigned when the plagues and mass exodus occurred.

Last edited:

Grandliseur

And based on 1 Kings 6:1, when Solomon started on the project of building the temple, it was his 4th year in his reign, and it stated that the exodus out of Egypt occurred 480 years ago:
I am no longer sure how the 1513 bc number was obtained, though I thought it solid. Your calculation seems interesting. It would be nice to see the calculation and sums in its entirety.

I am not too worried about some ball park figure. It could be fun to compare what you have in detail with what I can dig up. But, must admit that I have become OitH, (Old in the head), and am no longer as able as I used to be with studies due to age and stress.

Here is something that I made myself, quite a few years ago:
Chronology Adam-Jacob Graph-01.bmp

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am no longer sure how the 1513 bc number was obtained, though I thought it solid. Your calculation seems interesting. It would be nice to see the calculation and sums in its entirety.

I am not too worried about some ball park figure. It could be fun to compare what you have in detail with what I can dig up. But, must admit that I have become OitH, (Old in the head), and am no longer as able as I used to be with studies due to age and stress.

It can be entertaining and even instructional to make up such a chart. But it is as mythical as a similar chart of the characters from The Lord of the Rings.

Grandliseur

It can be entertaining and even instructional to make up such a chart. But it is as mythical as a similar chart of the characters from The Lord of the Rings.
Well, I had fun making that kind of chart, and evolutionists have fun making their evolutionary tree. Each to his own. We have our mythology and you have your fictional story.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well, I had fun making that kind of chart, and evolutionists have fun making their evolutionary tree. Each to his own. We have our mythology and you have your fictional story.

No your story is fictional. There is no reliable evidence that supports it. What I don't understand is why a theist would willingly call their God a liar.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Grandliseur, so far I have noticed that every creationist here not only does not understand the concept of evidence. They are afraid to discuss the concept, even if evolution is left out of the conversation. Would you care to learn so that you do not repeat your errors? We can leave creationism out of the conversation for now.

gnostic

The Lost One

In my website, Dark Mirrors Of Heaven, I did a table that listed the kings. I have also mentioned the Exodus together with 1 Kings 6:1.

See Timeline of Israelite Kingdoms.

Of course, these dates are only approximate. And at least these years (of monarchs’ reigns) are realistic and more probable than the years given in genealogy of Genesis and Exodus.

Grandliseur

In my website, Dark Mirrors Of Heaven, I did a table that listed the kings. I have also mentioned the Exodus together with 1 Kings 6:1.

Of course, these dates are only approximate. And at least these years (of monarchs’ reigns) are realistic and more probable than the years given in genealogy of Genesis and Exodus.
OK. I might just give it a whirl. There are so many demands on time - I would like to see your conclusions and compare it with what I have myself and in Bible chronology subject on an encyclopedia type thing. I tend to give the Bible's own testimony preference but there are times when the Bible and world history agree, and these become the foundation for further Biblical chronology references.

Last edited:

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

Genesis was written in the 10th century BCE, before mankind discovered the size of the oceans or the continents and yet the accuracy of this timeline is amazing.

Scholars in the first half of the 20th century came to the conclusion that the Yahwist was produced in the monarchic period, specifically at the court of Solomon, 10th century BCE, and the Priestly work in the middle of the 5th century BCE (the author was even identified as Ezra), but more recent thinking is that the ...

Book of Genesis - Wikipedia

Genesis 1-2New International Version (NIV)

The Beginning

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

6 And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” 7 So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.

9 And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.” And God saw that it was good.

11 Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.

14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

20 And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.” 23 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.

24 And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so. 25 God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.

31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

2 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.

2 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.

Do you think the writers of Genesis had outside help formulating its content-?

DESIDERATA –

You Are A Child Of The Universe - original version

https://youtu.be/PNq_DTmVCWs

Either that or a lot of incredibly lucky guesses!

james dixon

Premium Member

I got the following from your link.
"This work continued when Cyrus allowed the Jews to return to Jerusalem in 538 BCE."

If the Jews were allowed to "return" to Jerusalem then other people must have been there before and after they returned. Jerusalem was not the city of the Jews. The Jews only represented a small part of the population.

On a side note, I prefer to use the term Israelis when referring to the unlawful occupiers of modern day Palestine and Jews being the current day ancestors of the Jewish people.

They are not one and the same, in my view

3/4 of them do not even live in Israel and don't care to either :)-

Last edited: