• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did the writers of Genesis have outside help?

Did the writers of Genesis have outside help?

• Total voters

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I disagree. See
  • Israel's Ethnogenesis: Settlement, Interaction, Expansion and Resistance -- Av
I have no idea whether @Hockeycowboy is a literalist or not. (Note his signature.) My problem is with cheap attempts at bible-bashing that rely on taking potshots at the most primitive and vulnerable interpretation of the text. I apologize if that was not your intent.

FWIW: I seriously doubt that the author of Deutero-Isaiah knew the first thing about the solar system or cared. As for myself, you would be hard pressed to find a literalist among the ranks of Reform, Conservative, and Reconstructionist Judaism and Torahs such as the Plaut Commentary (Reform) and Etz Hayim (Conservative) are quite open about and comfortable with the traces of Near Eastern mythology found in the texts.
No problem. I can understand how it looks that way, I am simply fighting fire with fire. And I agree. Knowledge of the solar system was not important to them and the works were poetic not scientific. I still have respect for Christianity, the problem is that literalists make the entire belief system, both Christian and Judaism, look ridiculous if one insists upon a literal interpretation of the Bible.

james dixon

Premium Member
Sure, as soon as you apologize for your previous post.

I have been wrong on a number of biblical events. Some of these errors I only discovered today while reviewing the Bible.

I stated that Israel was a person, not a place and I further said the land of Israel never existed until 1947AD. I was wright in stating that Israel was a person but wrong in stating a land called Israel never existed. I admit there was a "United Kingdom of Israel" in the 10th century bc.

Having said that, my true concern is the "covenant" between the Lord and the Israelite people. This is the heart of why I am here. Moses wrote the Ten Commandments from the Covenant and it is the covenant that the Israeli's must follow to get His grace.

And in closing the Israeli's have repeatedly broken this covenant & for this they will suffer the wraith of the Lord within my lifetime.

james dixon

Premium Member
I have a total disdain for the entire "scholar" crap here. Projection of now, backwards is all it is.

"I have a total disdain for the entire "scholar" crap here"

Islamophobia is defined as "Intense fear or dislike of Islam, esp. as a political force; hostility or prejudice towards Muslims".[1]

The term Islamophobia was first used in the early 20th century and it emerged as a neologism in the 1970s, then it became increasingly salient during the 1980s and 1990s, and it reached public policy prominence with the report by the Runnymede Trust's Commission on British Muslims and Islamophobia (CBMI) entitled Islamophobia: A Challenge for Us All (1997). The introduction of the term was justified by the report's assessment that "anti-Muslim prejudice has grown so considerably and so rapidly in recent years that a new item in the vocabulary is needed".[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamophobia

Also checkout "pathological liar"
Pathological Liar – Impulsive, Compulsive Lying, Self-Deception

This is an illness Trump also has.

:)-

David T

Premium Member
"I have a total disdain for the entire "scholar" crap here"

Islamophobia is defined as "Intense fear or dislike of Islam, esp. as a political force; hostility or prejudice towards Muslims".[1]

The term Islamophobia was first used in the early 20th century and it emerged as a neologism in the 1970s, then it became increasingly salient during the 1980s and 1990s, and it reached public policy prominence with the report by the Runnymede Trust's Commission on British Muslims and Islamophobia (CBMI) entitled Islamophobia: A Challenge for Us All (1997). The introduction of the term was justified by the report's assessment that "anti-Muslim prejudice has grown so considerably and so rapidly in recent years that a new item in the vocabulary is needed".[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamophobia

Also checkout "pathological liar"
Pathological Liar – Impulsive, Compulsive Lying, Self-Deception

This is an illness Trump also has.

g=n n=g. No islamic nut job understands that. So your bs as being informed and really understanding is just bs sophism. . God =nature nature=god. Islam radicalism is the intellect lost onto itself hell that's normal in spectrum. So your pretend you are not that is simply spectrum of that is all. It actually just indicates over intellectualizing displeased with its outcome wear it. All wars are committed today by the intellect spinning into itself. A kind of madness that scholarship breeds. Germany the most scholastic country on the planet spin's into itself is scholars independent of that? Goethe complained about in 1800 nothing new.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have been wrong on a number of biblical events. Some of these errors I only discovered today while reviewing the Bible.

I stated that Israel was a person, not a place and I further said the land of Israel never existed until 1947AD. I was wright in stating that Israel was a person but wrong in stating a land called Israel never existed. I admit there was a "United Kingdom of Israel" in the 10th century bc.

Having said that, my true concern is the "covenant" between the Lord and the Israelite people. This is the heart of why I am here. Moses wrote the Ten Commandments from the Covenant and it is the covenant that the Israeli's must follow to get His grace.

And in closing the Israeli's have repeatedly broken this covenant & for this they will suffer the wraith of the Lord within my lifetime.

Israel could be said to be both. That is some pretty basic Bible knowledge. Which one a person is talking about can usually be discovered through context.

And no, Moses was a mythical figure. There is no valid reason to think that he was real.

Also the stories of when Israel "broke the covenant" are no different from any other ancient peoples that tried to blame past defeats on their leaders or people going against the gods. It is a typical excuse and far from unique in Christianity.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Genesis was written 1,000 years ago. That was before the term "morphology" was a word. Since you have a " total disdain for the entire "scholar" crap here "I must ask, why in the hell are you here?

On a side note, the Devil lurks in the shadows only to appear when every ones back is turned and then slither back into the dark after the devilish deed is done.

Don't bother, I went and quoted your post for you. Once again you claimed that Genesis was written roughly in the year 1,000 CE.

james dixon

Premium Member
Don't bother, I went and quoted your post for you. Once again you claimed that Genesis was written roughly in the year 1,000 CE.

Then by all means post my post here for all to see

waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting,waiting, waiting,waiting, waiting,waiting, waiting,waiting, waiting,waiting, waiting,waiting, waiting and as the sun sets, even in my dreams I continue to wait :)-

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Then by all means post my post here for all to see

waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting,waiting, waiting,waiting, waiting,waiting, waiting,waiting, waiting,waiting, waiting,waiting, waiting and as the sun sets, even in my dreams I continue to wait :)-

Holy crap! The post where you made that claim is quoted in where you responded to me. I have done so twice now. You claimed that Genesis was written one thousand years ago. I guess that basic math is beyond your abilities.

Today's date is November 30, 2017CE. One thousand years before today would be November 30, 1017 CE. Since this is a rough date you are saying that Genesis was written in the year 1,000 CE.

Do you understand your error yet or do I have to go over basic addition and subtraction for you?

james dixon

Premium Member

Ok, you got me, Genesis was written in the 10th century bc.

Does that make it 1,000+2017= 3017+/- years old?

Once you answer the above how about answering the OP topic?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ok, you got me, Genesis was written in the 10th century bc.

Does that make it 1,000+2017= 3017+/- years old?

Once you answer the above how about answering the OP topic?

Actually it is only about 2500 years old. But at least you see your mistake now.

And didn't I answer the OP topic a long time ago?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What are you talking about? Genesis is incredibly inaccurate and wrong. It describes the Earth as a flat plane with a solid "firmament" over it. At best you are simply reinterpreting the book in light of today's knowledge. Don't worry, Muslims commit the same error when it comes to the Quran. I am sure there are some Hindus that take their holy books literally and they too will do this.

I thought that I answered the OP. There it is for you again.

What part did you not understand?

james dixon

Premium Member
Subduction Zone,
On another forum topic I posted the idea of taping the extreme heat along the Mid Atlantic Ridge to power all the energy we will ever need. Do you thing this has potential?

Just asking :)-

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Your asking me if you answered your own question?

That is a good twist of words. Did you by chance learn this technique from Trump by chance?

just asking :)-

It was a rhetorical question that I answered for you. You might want to work on your reading comprehension skills.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Subduction Zone,
On another forum topic I posted the idea of taping the extreme heat along the Mid Atlantic Ridge to power all the energy we will ever need. Do you thing this has potential?

Just asking :)-

Why go to the Mid Atlantic Ridge? That makes a huge engineering problem. There are many places on land where one could drill down. And anywhere one would do it one would run across perhaps fatal engineering problems and there could be easier simpler solutions. Wind power has more than enough power for us if we harness it. One can drill down to heat sources, but pumping water down to them and worse yet retrieving the hot steam without corrosion to the pipes involved that would limit their useful lifetimes is a problem that is nowhere near being solved.