• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did the dogmatic Jesus have an extreme ego?

danieldemol

Premium Member
(Matthew 10):
'34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.'

In my opinion this passage shows the extreme ego of Jesus, in that He cares more about peoples love of His self than He does about family unity.

What do you think about this passage?

Thanda

(Matthew 10):
'34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.'

In my opinion this passage shows the extreme ego of Jesus, in that He cares more about peoples love of His self than He does about family unity.

Yes - if one does not read anything spiritual into it, then this is clearly a huge expression of ego.

From a spiritual perspective Jesus appears to be advocating for principle above subjective emotions and connections. Truth over all (Remember he says "I am the way the truth and the life") . So for example if a child grows up in a communist home (and society) and decides that he doesn't agree with the principles of communism it is likely that he will be set at odds with their parents, brothers, sisters, and much of the community. To stay true to their path, they must love the principle more than they love these connections. They must love their the principle more than they love peace.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
(Matthew 10):

I think that you have to carefully examine which of those sayings really goes back to the historical Jesus. Most of it is the product of the imagination of aMatthew.
In tantric or mystic discipleship however the love for the Guru is central because the Guru is one with God.
So love for family members or spouses and friends is subordinate to the love for the Guru.
If your love for the Guru is not that important to you, then you cannot be the disciple because your more worldy love will tear you away from Him sooner or later.

God has no ego, He wants only your liberation from all bondages.

Gargovic Malkav

(Matthew 10):

When you refer to the person of Jesus himself, then yes, he sounds like a stereotypical narcissist.
But when I don't associate these words with his person, but rather the principles he stands for, it makes sense to me.

Thanda

(Matthew 10):

I've just realised that you have began a new topic.

Jesus at times displays a dogmatic ego by making people's happiness and salvation dependent on how they treat him or whether or not they listen to or follow him.

But if looked at with a spiritual eye, there maybe something else other than ego going on.

In John 7 we have the following:
16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.
18 He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.​

Here he appears to be saying that those who do the will of God understand Jesus and know that what he says is the will of God.

In the previous chapter he says:
44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.​

Here he appears to be saying that anyone can be taught directly by God (no prophet/pastor or intermediary needed). And that those who are taught by God are drawn to him (birds of a feather and all that).

So what appears to be happening here is that Jesus believes he has communed with God and that his is in total compliance with God's commandments. And since there is one God, those who are also taught by God will be like him and will love him. Therefore hate for him is evidence of a hate of God.

Now he may be right or wrong about this (that he has communed with God and that he is in compliance with his laws and principles) but it cannot be argued that his logic is correct that if he is a true follower of God, other true followers will see in him a kindred spirit.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
What do you think
Did the dogmatic Jesus have an extreme ego?

NO. Jesus is a Master. This also implies to Master the Ego, hence also not dogmatic.

If we Master Mind then we 'see'

I don't believe everything people write, even if it's in the Scriptures. At all times CommonSense before DivineSense

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
(Matthew 10):

Imagine what would happen if someone came around now saying the same thing.

Kind of put things in perspective.

Colt

(Matthew 10):

The passage is in reference to the fact that not everyone would agree with his Gospel of loyalty to his Father. He was in fact killed by religious people for that very gospel.

At the time of Jesus on earth, if one member of a Jewish family became a follower of Jesus then you can imagine how that would cause big problems! hence "think not that I have come to bring peace." The Jews were expecting a Messiah to bring peace.

Jesus lived a selfless life in giving up everything to come down and reveal the Father to man.

EGO is you criticizing what Jesus did for so many.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Sorry I didn't see another post of yours.
My answer was a bit cryptic, so it was not what you thought it meant

I answered the OP's question "what do you think?" So, to answer your question

My source is my mind. No ancient Scripture this time, just simple "mind = bundle of thoughts; I just picked 1 thought as my answer"

Brian2

Veteran Member
(Matthew 10):

It seems to mean that there will be opposition in truly following Jesus. If we back down because of it and stop following Jesus we are not worthy of Jesus. No doubt it has a more full meaning than that.
From the pov of a believer who sees Jesus truly as the Son of God and who knew whom He was, it just shows His honesty in teaching what He had been sent to teach and His not being willing to back down when it came to saying things that He knew people may find offensive.
If you are more proud than is realistic then that shows an oversized ego. Jesus was very humble in the face of ridicule considering whom He is.

firedragon

Veteran Member
My answer was a bit cryptic, so it was not what you thought it meant

I answered the OP's question "what do you think?" So, to answer your question

My source is my mind. No ancient Scripture this time, just simple "mind = bundle of thoughts; I just picked 1 thought as my answer"

Ah. Thanks.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
The passage is in reference to the fact that not everyone would agree with his Gospel of loyalty to his Father. He was in fact killed by religious people for that very gospel.

At the time of Jesus on earth, if one member of a Jewish family became a follower of Jesus then you can imagine how that would cause big problems! hence "think not that I have come to bring peace." The Jews were expecting a Messiah to bring peace.

Jesus lived a selfless life in giving up everything to come down and reveal the Father to man.

EGO is you criticizing what Jesus did for so many.

It’s a fact that whenever a Prophet arises with a new message, He and His followers are tortured and killed because those in charge want to stay in charge and don’t care for truth. Loyalty to God gets tested in every age so we often find that anyone who accepts the new Prophet will be opposed whether family or friend.

Putting God first what does it mean? It means not to lie, steal, kill or harm others. It means to love and accept all men as brothers. If I put my race first I will show favour to my court and discriminate against those who are different colour. If I put my country first, I will be able to stand by allowing people of other countries to be killed by dictators.

But if I put God first, then all humanity are my family, all races, religions and nationalities and I will treat them all with kindness. God teaches all inclusive love for all. Any other love is limited.

epronovost

God has no ego, He wants only your liberation from all bondages.

Except his in Christianity where worship of God is compulsory and critique of Him is a unforgivable sin. Jesus also present himself as the sole and only path to truth and that one's loyalty to him must be above any others (the passage referenced in the OP). You know what people say about ''red flags and dangerous cults''. He hits all of them in these passages.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
(Matthew 10):

The truth is more important than tribalism.

friendship is important any relationship. who wants an abusive, husband, wife, mother, father, son, daughter, brother, sister, cousin, niece, nephew, et al.

do not be yoked with an unfriendly, angry soul.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Imagine what would happen if someone came around now saying the same thing.

Kind of put things in perspective.
the truth and love is more important than tribalism.

everyone wants to be loved but not everyone is loving.

what goes around soon comes around again.

exchemist

Veteran Member
(Matthew 10):

Depends whether you think he is God or not, doesn't it?