• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus exist?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So, how to you verify what is written? All we have are historical documents, otherwise, there is no way to verify stories.

Unlike other religious books, the Bible has many corresponding or parallel cross-reference verses and passages showing the internal harmony among its many writers.

In any age, the success of applying Bible principles in one's life verifies that the Bible's timeless principles do work.

Repox

Truth Seeker
Unlike other religious books, the Bible has many corresponding or parallel cross-reference verses and passages showing the internal harmony among its many writers.

In any age, the success of applying Bible principles in one's life verifies that the Bible's timeless principles do work.
The Bible was edited by church leaders who had a specific message for their followers. As for the NT, expert scholars have unraveled the methods by which church leaders accomplished their purpose. If you do research, you will find, as an example, not one single Jesus story in prior gospels. The reason for that discrepancy is the NT gospel authors made up those stories. I have listed references. The more you research NT gospels the more you find discrepancies. I don't doubt the holiness of Jesus, I just don't think he was the son of God. Jesus was God.

Repox

Truth Seeker
Most people or more than most people.
Nevertheless, according to Titus 1:2, God can Not lie.
No, God cannot lie, but the NT was written by imperfect men. Because of careful scrutiny in the academic community, I don't think scholars lie either. Their works are carefully scrutinized by others who are in turn carefully scrutinized.

Last edited:

omega2xx

So, how to you verify what is written? All we have are historical documents, otherwise, there is no way to verify stories.

It can't be verified in a scientific or even a logical way. WE accept all of by faith. But The Holy Spirit does confirm it internally as truth for us.

Repox

Truth Seeker

Internal harmony depends on the religious theology. Protestants find a different internal harmony than Catholics. The gospels show harmony because Matthew and Luke copied Mark word for word in many instances, so there is internal harmony, but not because authors independently proposed ideas. Then for hundreds of years, church leaders selected books for harmony in order to proclaim God's holy work to be infallible. Oh, I forgot, if you have a preconceived idea of harmony, you will selectively find it because you know it is there.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Internal harmony depends on the religious theology. Protestants find a different internal harmony than Catholics. The gospels show harmony because Matthew and Luke copied Mark word for word in many instances, so there is internal harmony, but not because authors independently proposed ideas. Then for hundreds of years, church leaders selected books for harmony in order to proclaim God's holy work to be infallible. Oh, I forgot, if you have a preconceived idea of harmony, you will selectively find it because you know it is there.

The ancient manuscripts support the '66' book of Bible canon.
The apocryphal books simply exclude themselves being out of harmony with the harmonious '66 ' books.
To me the reason there are Catholics and Protestants who find a different internal harmony is because they often teach church traditions, or church customs, as Scripture and try to make their teachings fit Scripture.
They try to put words in Jesus' mouth which never came out of Jesus' mouth as if they are some sort of holy ventriloquists speaking for Jesus.

I find Jesus was plain in his words for his followers at Matthew 26:52; Revelation 13:10 to put down the sword, yet often corrupted church leaders have used the pulpit as a political recruiting station so parents will sacrifice their young on the Altar of War as if that is the same as the Altar of God. Whereas in Scripture Jesus' followers were neutral in the affairs of the world even Not getting involved in the issues of the day between the Jews and the Romans.

Repox

Truth Seeker
The ancient manuscripts support the '66' book of Bible canon.
The apocryphal books simply exclude themselves being out of harmony with the harmonious '66 ' books.
To me the reason there are Catholics and Protestants who find a different internal harmony is because they often teach church traditions, or church customs, as Scripture and try to make their teachings fit Scripture.
They try to put words in Jesus' mouth which never came out of Jesus' mouth as if they are some sort of holy ventriloquists speaking for Jesus.

I find Jesus was plain in his words for his followers at Matthew 26:52; Revelation 13:10 to put down the sword, yet often corrupted church leaders have used the pulpit as a political recruiting station so parents will sacrifice their young on the Altar of War as if that is the same as the Altar of God. Whereas in Scripture Jesus' followers were neutral in the affairs of the world even Not getting involved in the issues of the day between the Jews and the Romans.
When I read the gospels I see a story created by men whose goal was to start another religion, one based on the sacrificial lamb story. They were kind of like "think tank" people trying to improve on all known theologies in order to make their religion successful. As for the truth of God, it all happened when God chose Abraham and attempted to form a holy nation on earth. Since then, men have made up their own holy cup hoping to do the same.

DavidFirth

No, God cannot lie, but the NT was written by imperfect men. Because of careful scrutiny in the academic community, I don't think scholars lie either. Their works are carefully scrutinized by others who are in turn carefully scrutinized.

The scholars involved in the Piltdown Man lie clearly were lying and falsifying evidence.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You must be joking!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Most people or more than most people.
Nevertheless, according to Titus 1:2, God can Not lie.
1 Kings 22:23
Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.

2 Chronicles 18:22
Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil against thee.

Jeremiah 4:10
Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! surely thou hast greatly deceived this people and Jerusalem, saying, Ye shall have peace; whereas the sword reacheth unto the soul.

Jeremiah 20:7
O LORD, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived: thou art stronger than I, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me.

Ezekiel 14:9
And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the LORD have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel.

2 Thessalonians 2:11
And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

DavidFirth

1 Kings 22:23
Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.

2 Chronicles 18:22
Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil against thee.

Jeremiah 4:10
Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! surely thou hast greatly deceived this people and Jerusalem, saying, Ye shall have peace; whereas the sword reacheth unto the soul.

Jeremiah 20:7
O LORD, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived: thou art stronger than I, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me.

Ezekiel 14:9
And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the LORD have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel.

2 Thessalonians 2:11
And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

None of those verses say that God lied.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Present a case for scholars from reputable colleges and universities being frauds.
Fraud can be unintentional. As to whether certain academics and church academics were frauds in the past, there is no doubt.

Half the job is cleaning up their mess, and when modern scholars use those sources, the material is likewise goofed.

As to fraudulent academics currently, to think there isn't, is naive.

Repox

Truth Seeker
The scholars involved in the Piltdown Man lie clearly were lying and falsifying evidence.
Yes, you have a good example, but that doesn't mean all scholars or those whom you doubt are liars. As for the other case, most Christians don't have research skills, so they can't make scholarly arguments. You can't just accept someone's word. People lie, you have to verify facts of history.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Yes, you have a good example, but that doesn't mean all scholars or those whom you doubt are liars. As for the other case, most Christians don't have research skills, so they can't make scholarly arguments. You can't just accept someone's word. People lie, you have to verify facts of history.
How does your position suit your argument?

Have you read Jewish writings?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The Nazarenes, related to the *Essenes, had a different set of practice, and theology, from some others, in Israel. The teachings and methodology of Jesus, are congruent , generally, with that approach/to Scripture, and such. This is why christianity has a different methodology of book adherence, from what became Judaism, as we know it //rabbinic Judaism.

*many of the christians were Essenes, and this is more of the basis of what became the standard christianity as we know it, outside of the morphed / roman european church practices, which many incorrectly associate to be the 'first christianity'.