• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Christianity Start with Jesus?

Miken

I did not and have not assumed anything of the like, and I've made that perfectly clear if you were ton check back.

Thus far we have been discussing the English word brother for simplicity. The Greek equivalent adelphos (adelfoV) includes the same concepts in its range of meaning. However, the meaning of the Aramaic word for "brother" (aho) not only includes the meanings already mentioned but also includes other close relations, such as cousins -- II

A reminder that Jesus and the Twelve spoke Aramaic, which then was translated into Koine Greek. Also, the use of "adelphos" sometimes referred to those "bothers" also of the Christian faith.

Anyhow, I got some more important things to do.

You assumed that the absence of two names in Mt 27 that appear in Mt 13 is proof of something. I already showed that Matthew is not consistent with names, changing the Apostle list from Mark. I also asked how Jesus could have cousins in Nazareth when his family did not live there until after Jesus was born, moving there to get as far away as possible from Archelaus, whose father tried to kill Jesus.

In Genesis 14:14, Abram refers to his nephew Lot with the word corresponding to brother. But in Genesis 14:12, Lot is first carefully identified as the son of Abram’s actual brother, not just some vague relative. In Matthew 13, Jesus is identified as the carpenter’s son, with Mary his mother, and real siblings James and Joses (as per Matthew 27:56) and then naming two male kinsmen (not necessarily cousins) without saying anything about how that points to Jesus. Having four siblings makes sense in this context. Two siblings and two ‘cousins’ or other relatives, is just jarring. It does not make sense for it to be said that way and would detract from the point the speaker is making, jumping outside the immediate family. Simon and Judas would have relatives other than Jesus, and Jesus would have relatives other than Simon and Judas, blunting the sharpness of the identification. “Huh? Why did he bring in a couple of relatives?”

Sorry, don’t buy it. It is overthinking something that is really very simple. Jesus had four brothers.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Some say Jesus was a Jewish Rabbi.

Did Jesus teach Christianity or did Jesus teach Judaism?

Did Jesus intend to found a new religion? Did not Jesus say that he was sent for the lost sheep of the house of Israel?

If however, you say Jesus did not come to found a new religion, then where did Christianity come from?

I believe Christianity ie the idea of a Messiah existed long before Jesus.

I believe there is no indication that He was founding a new religion but what He taught logically leads to one.

I believe they get first option as the chosen people.

I believe "The Way" emerged with the coming of the Paraclete. It was only called Christianity later in Antioch by outsiders.

Muffled

Jesus in me
From the reports we have of his teaching, Jesus clearly intended to overturn a lot of conventional wisdom, so he must have expected to found at least a sect if not a religion. There are also theories that some of the ideas Jesus expounded were already present among a Jewish sect called the Essenes that dates back a century before his time.

I have read also - though I can't recall where - that Christianity may be a kind of synthesis of Jewish teaching from Jesus with Greek philosophy, with possibly some Buddhist influence from further East as well mixed into it. St Paul had a hand in fashioning Christianity too. So it was not just the teaching of Jesus alone.

I believe it is possible that by choosing 12 disciples/apostles that He was proposing a new Israel like the 12 tribes of Jacob.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I believe Christianity ie the idea of a Messiah existed long before Jesus.

I believe there is no indication that He was founding a new religion but what He taught logically leads to one.

I believe they get first option as the chosen people.

I believe "The Way" emerged with the coming of the Paraclete. It was only called Christianity later in Antioch by outsiders.

Do you think Judaism, the religion, was developed through human error? A wrong turn on the path towards the correct understanding of God?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Which Christianity?

I think Jesus was a catalyst who just happened to be in the right place at the right time, given there were many such preachers wandering around Judea at that point. He probably wouldn't have been remembered were it not for the resurrection story. Christianity is built on the resurrection of Jesus, if we take what Paul says in 1 Corinthians,

"And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain."

It seems to me that Paul was a spearhead in Asia Minor, while James the Just led the charge in Jerusalem, with these two Churches being apparently somewhat different iterations of the faith. James the Just was known as a great keeper of Torah, apparently teaching others to do the same; so if we're talking about modern non-Jewish Christianity, it seems Paul leads the way there, as his practice seems much closer to what most Christians are doing today. By reading the gospels alone I can't find any trace of Jesus wanting to found a new faith; he seems to have issues with the leaders of the day, had a different understanding of some Torah practices, but on the whole his seems to have been more a political problem with the authorities than anything. He also taught 'Repent ye, for the kingdom of G-d is at hand', which means he apparently believed the end times were imminent, in which case, what need for a new religion?

So I'd say it started with Jesus but without Paul it also may have just ended there, too. As the gospels seem to contradict each other, I'm not sure how much we can say on this.

I believe we have Paul saying something about what God starts, He finishes.
Phil 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Do you think Judaism, the religion, was developed through human error? A wrong turn on the path towards the correct understanding of God?

I believe as it stands today that it is man's replacement of what God set up when God destroyed what He had set up.

joelr

Tell me something. Why do you so strongly believe that Noah and the flood episode was copied from the epic of Gilgamesh? Why could not it have been the other way around?

Lets say that the Epic of Gilgamesh was coined around 2000 BC or even later, so how would you know so secularly that Noah who is supposed to have lived over 4000 years ago, maybe around 600 years before Gilgamesh epic, so it could be that the Epic of Gilgamesh was copied from Noah's legend.

So why one side?

There were no Israelites 4000 years ago.The first mention we know of that mentions them was 1206 BC and at that time they were still part of the Canaanite society.

"No Egyptian text mentions the Israelites except the famous inscription of Merneptah dated to about 1206 B.C.E. But those Israelites were in Canaan; they are not in Egypt, and nothing is said about them escaping from Egypt."
William Denver biblical archeologist
Archeology of the Hebrew Bible

The Canaanite myths are largely still known and their flood myth would have had El or Baal involved. When the Israelites broke away from Canaan that is when they formed their own versions of the myths.
To take one culture from one time and suggest that their stories are the actual correct versions that pre-date all the others and is actually factually correct is some weird form of special pleading. You would first need some evidence that these myths are actually true.
It is far more likely that the Canaanite stories were formed during the time they were a culture and the same goes for the Israelites.

joelr

Paul provides very few details about an earthly Jesus, but he does say Jesus was born of a woman under the Law and was crucified and died. Paul also mentions several people who were presumably disciples of Jesus.

I agree that the Gospels were mostly purposeful fiction, with only Mark probably having some genuine historical material not obtained via Paul, although he also got some material from Paul.

It would appear that the label ‘the brother of the Lord’ is not merely a generic reference to any believer. Galatians 1:19 uses the phrase:

τὸν ἀδελφὸν τοῦ κυρίου
The (definite article) brother of-the Lord

Since Paul has just mentioned Peter without this title, this suggests a unique association of James with the Lord, not a generic one.

It is curious that James, the ‘brother of the Lord’, should be the head of the Jerusalem church yet the James son of Mary should play no role in the Gospels other than passing mentions. This could indicate that it is not a sibling of Jesus at all, i.e., a title as you say. Or it could be that when Mark got what historical material he has from Peter (as tradition says), Peter left out any mention of this James because Peter thought of himself as the chief Apostle and not subordinate to James as Paul tells us.

Paul only says Jesus was manufactured out of the seed of David. It's not clear what exactly is meant, allegorical or biological?

1:11:50

Paul mentions "brother of the Lord" 2 times and he seems to only understand this in a cultic sense. Either way it's not possible to know for sure. 1:46:10 those references are dealt with.

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
There were no Israelites 4000 years ago.The first mention we know of that mentions them was 1206 BC and at that time they were still part of the Canaanite society.

"No Egyptian text mentions the Israelites except the famous inscription of Merneptah dated to about 1206 B.C.E. But those Israelites were in Canaan; they are not in Egypt, and nothing is said about them escaping from Egypt."
William Denver biblical archeologist
Archeology of the Hebrew Bible

The Canaanite myths are largely still known and their flood myth would have had El or Baal involved. When the Israelites broke away from Canaan that is when they formed their own versions of the myths.
To take one culture from one time and suggest that their stories are the actual correct versions that pre-date all the others and is actually factually correct is some weird form of special pleading. You would first need some evidence that these myths are actually true.
It is far more likely that the Canaanite stories were formed during the time they were a culture and the same goes for the Israelites.

But yet, the legend is that Noah lived about 600 years at least before the Epic of Gilgamesh was written. So there is a probability that it was taking older stories.

Same standard.

Miken

Paul only says Jesus was manufactured out of the seed of David. It's not clear what exactly is meant, allegorical or biological?

Let me be clear about this. I am not a believer. But I have no respect for Richard Carrier who says a lot of things that betray a lack of in-depth knowledge of the NT.

Consider these two.

Galatians 4:4 But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law,

Romans 3 concerning his Son, who was descended from David according to the flesh

It is clear that Paul said that Jesus was born in the normal way not ‘manufactured’ is some fashion.

The ESV translates Romans 3 as ‘descended from David’ because that is the meaning of the Greek.

Carrier is relying on the poor translation provided in the KJV
Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;

Let’s look at the Greek

γενομένου ἐκ σπέρματος Δαυὶδ κατὰ σάρκα

one-becoming out of-seed of-David according-to flesh

γενομένου is not passive (‘made’) but active (‘becoming’)

σπέρματος means ‘seed’ in several senses. There are 43 other uses of this word in the NT. Six of those refer to plant seeds. The other 37 clearly mean children or other descendants. Of those 7 are also in Romans. Another 8 are in undisputed Pauline letters.

None of the uses of this word refer to male semen.

It is very clear what Paul meant.

In any case, exactly how would Jesus be manufactured of the semen of David? This is a really strange idea and would be incomprehensible to Paul’s readers. They, especially the Jewish Christians, would understand exactly what was meant, that Jesus was descended from David as necessary for a messiah.

In general, Carrier’s ideas display ignorance of even the basics of what is being said. But enough for now.

Paul mentions "brother of the Lord" 2 times and he seems to only understand this in a cultic sense. Either way it's not possible to know for sure. 1:46:10 those references are dealt with.

Whether James was the biological brother of Jesus is an open question, although there is little reason to doubt that alternative. Paul’s readers would take it as literal. Carrier of course wants ‘brother of the Lord’ to be just some kind of title because, Carrier tells us, Jesus did not exist.

We may note that Mark, the first to write in detail about a living Jesus, loves names. He names the brothers of Jesus and he names and describes the Twelve that Paul mentioned in passing. He names the women who saw where Jesus was laid and who went there on Sunday and their children’s names. He even gives names to the man who helped Jesus carry the cross and his son and their backgrounds. Mark was seeking to ‘being Jesus to life’ in his story to help revive fading faith in a swift return of Jesus as Paul had indicated. Throwing in details helped make a ‘real’ story.

Considering that, it should be no surprise that Mark would make James a real brother of Jesus and throw in some more brothers as well.

joelr

But yet, the legend is that Noah lived about 600 years at least before the Epic of Gilgamesh was written. So there is a probability that it was taking older stories.

Same standard.

Yes there is a fictional flood account that claims Noah lived at some time. It could put Noah at 1 million years ago, that doesn't matter because we know the general time around when it was written. How long ago it claims Noah was around is no more credible than the account of God flooding Earth to destroy humanity.

People write fiction and often place characters as living centuries before. The Israelites started around 1200BC and that version of the story was written then.
It's far more likely that this version of the flood myth (with a guy named Noah and a God Yahweh) was just placing characters far into the past. It doesn't mean there actually was a Noah that long ago. It would have been part of a different culture with different Gods. It's a flood myth written so this new society could have their own version to teach to their citizens. It does in no way mean it's a historical account of a guy from 2000 years before the Israelites even were a culture? Monotheism was not popular in Mesopotamia so this story would not have been written back then. In fact the early Israelites were polythestic and would have written the story with multiple Gods flooding the Earth. So this version of the tale reflects ideologies and religious narratives that were around in Israel near 800BCE.
Also the idea that Yahweh flooded the earth before Mesopotamia and then humanity re-started but completely forgot about Yahweh, monotheism, Noah and so on is impossible. If you are somehow suggesting there is some truth to these shared stories?

There is a Hindu myth where Vishnu was around at the beginning of earth 5 billion years ago. There was no Vishnu on Earth 5 billion years ago. That was just a story written 4000 years ago.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Yes there is a fictional flood account that claims Noah lived at some time. It could put Noah at 1 million years ago, that doesn't matter because we know the general time around when it was written. How long ago it claims Noah was around is no more credible than the account of God flooding Earth to destroy humanity.

But someone could be relating an old legend, and another source did the same.

joelr

Let me be clear about this. I am not a believer. But I have no respect for Richard Carrier who says a lot of things that betray a lack of in-depth knowledge of the NT.

Consider these two.

Galatians 4:4 But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law,

Romans 3 concerning his Son, who was descended from David according to the flesh

All of that is dealt with. On just Gal 4:4

Yes, Galatians 4 Is Allegorical • Richard Carrier

"Contrary to what is often asserted, Paul never says Jesus had an actual “woman as a mother.” He says Jesus came “from a woman” but then says we are all born of the same woman. This “woman,” Paul says in Galatians 4, is an allegory for the physical world of flesh, not a person. He thus appears only to mean Jesus was given a human body of flesh to die in, a body subject to the physical world order. He does not say where this happened. Nor that it involved a birth. Or an actual woman."

"The phrase “born of a woman, born under the law” in Galatians 4:4 is an allegory for world order. As Paul explicitly says, the “mothers” he is talking about in his argument in Galatians 4 are not people but worlds (Galatians 4:24). In both cases Paul does not use the word he uses for human birth, but the word he uses for divine manufacture (“was created/made”), the same word he uses of God making Adam and our future resurrection bodies (1 Corinthians 15:37 and 15:45), neither of which are “born” to actual human mothers (or fathers).

Later Christians knew this and tried to change the words to what they needed to be there (and what Evans needs to be there), altering them both (simultaneously here and in Romans 1:3) to Paul’s preferred word for “born” rather than “made,” but we caught them at it, and those doctored variants are excluded from the received text. Experts now know that what Paul actually originally wrote in both passages was his preferred word for “made.” So we can’t tell if Paul means God manufactured Jesus a body out of Davidic seed, or if Jesus was born to some human father descended from David; nor can we tell if Paul thought Jesus was born of a real mother or only an allegorical one. So there is no usable evidence here. At all. Certainly not substantial evidence"

Whether James was the biological brother of Jesus is an open question, although there is little reason to doubt that alternative. Paul’s readers would take it as literal. Carrier of course wants ‘brother of the Lord’ to be just some kind of title because, Carrier tells us, Jesus did not exist.

We may note that Mark, the first to write in detail about a living Jesus, loves names. He names the brothers of Jesus and he names and describes the Twelve that Paul mentioned in passing. He names the women who saw where Jesus was laid and who went there on Sunday and their children’s names. He even gives names to the man who helped Jesus carry the cross and his son and their backgrounds. Mark was seeking to ‘being Jesus to life’ in his story to help revive fading faith in a swift return of Jesus as Paul had indicated. Throwing in details helped make a ‘real’ story.

Considering that, it should be no surprise that Mark would make James a real brother of Jesus and throw in some more brothers as well.

Right. But your asessment of Carrier is wrong. He does count Gal 4:4 as weak evidence for historicity, he doesn't say Jesus is mythical but says the odds are likely 1 in 3 in favor of mythicism and is using Greek sources.

Miken

All of that is dealt with. On just Gal 4:4

Yes, Galatians 4 Is Allegorical • Richard Carrier

"Contrary to what is often asserted, Paul never says Jesus had an actual “woman as a mother.” He says Jesus came “from a woman” but then says we are all born of the same woman. This “woman,” Paul says in Galatians 4, is an allegory for the physical world of flesh, not a person. He thus appears only to mean Jesus was given a human body of flesh to die in, a body subject to the physical world order. He does not say where this happened. Nor that it involved a birth. Or an actual woman."

Galatians 4:4 uses the phrase

γενόμενον ἐκ γυναικός γενόμενον ὑπὸ νόμον
becoming out of-woman becoming under law

Becoming out of a woman sounds pretty explicit to me. It certainly would be taken by Paul’s readers as being born physically out of a woman’s body.

Becoming – being born physically out of a woman’s body – under the law certainly implies being born of a Jewish woman. Paul uses the word ‘law’ (νόμος) 24 other times in Galatians as clearly meaning Jewish Law. As can be seen by the discussion of physical circumcision in Galatians 5, this is unmistakable. How does law suddenly become ‘world order’?

The messiah was expected to be a human born from the House of David. Born out of a woman under the law fits that description and Paul’s readers would immediately see the connection. No allegory here and there is no way Paul’s readers would see it as an allegory. It is clearly Paul describing Jesus as the expected messiah yet one more time. Paul uses the word Christ (= messiah) 33 times in Galatians alone and hundreds of times throughout his letters.

"The phrase “born of a woman, born under the law” in Galatians 4:4 is an allegory for world order. As Paul explicitly says, the “mothers” he is talking about in his argument in Galatians 4 are not people but worlds (Galatians 4:24). In both cases Paul does not use the word he uses for human birth, but the word he uses for divine manufacture (“was created/made”), the same word he uses of God making Adam and our future resurrection bodies (1 Corinthians 15:37 and 15:45), neither of which are “born” to actual human mothers (or fathers).

Paul uses the story in scriptures about real women really giving birth to real children as an allegory, which he explicitly states he is going to use as an allegory to support his point that Gentiles should not be forced to follow Jewish Law.

As we have seen, the Greek language in Galatians 4:4 is very physical in tone ‘out of a woman’. This is a human birth. Likewise, in Galatians 4:22, where Paul refers to the children of Hagar and Sarah, he says:

ἕνα ἐκ τῆς παιδίσκης καὶ ἕνα ἐκ τῆς ἐλευθέρα

One out of-the female-slave and one out of-the free-woman

Again ‘out of’. Real normal physical birth from a woman’s body.

Only then does Paul say he is using this as an allegory.

Ishmael was born of Hagar, Sarah’s slave, because Sarah could not conceive. Isaac was later born of Sarah after God made that promise. Hagar and Sarah are not themselves allegorical. In the scriptures they are real mothers. Paul the explicitly says he is now using this as an allegory, (‘allegorizing’ ἀλληγορούμενα) which he never says anywhere else. Applying 4:24 to 4:4 is not at all justified.

Paul’s figures of speech about ‘prison’ and such are not allegories as Carrier claims. They are dramatic hyperbole to make his point. They are not allegories, they are metaphors. An allegory involves a detailed story that would require explanation to understand. These metaphors have emotional impact and require no explanation.

The word γίνομαι (be, become) that appears in Romans 1:3 does not appear in Galatians 4:24. Neither does the word mean ‘divine manufacture’. Carrier’s misrepresentation is based on poor translations of the Greek word into the English ‘made’. This strongly suggests that Carrier has never investigated the Greek itself, only the English translations that he can manipulate to mean other than what the Greek or the context indicate.

The word γίνομαι (be, become) appears in 1 Corinthians 37 as γενησόμενον (shall be coming to be) in reference to plants growing from planted seeds. Paul is not talking about resurrected human bodies here. The plants grow naturally from seeds. If this is not understood, then Paul’s image of the dead rising in bodies will fail.

In 1 Corinthians 15:45, the same word (become) is used with respect to Adam and to Jesus, exactly as in Romans 1:3. This refers to Adam and Jesus coming into the world as living beings. Paul is not talking about resurrected spiritual bodies here either.

In Greek 1 Corinthians 15 does not use any word corresponding to make or manufacture. That appears only in improper English translations, which apparently is all Carrier is able to use.

"Later Christians knew this and tried to change the words to what they needed to be there (and what Evans needs to be there), altering them both (simultaneously here and in Romans 1:3) to Paul’s preferred word for “born” rather than “made,” but we caught them at it, and those doctored variants are excluded from the received text. Experts now know that what Paul actually originally wrote in both passages was his preferred word for “made.” So we can’t tell if Paul means God manufactured Jesus a body out of Davidic seed, or if Jesus was born to some human father descended from David; nor can we tell if Paul thought Jesus was born of a real mother or only an allegorical one. So there is no usable evidence here. At all. Certainly not substantial evidence"

What evidence does Carrier provide that the words were changed? Paul’s letters were widely disseminated as we can see from references in other early literature. All copies got changed or tracked down and destroyed? Are there any manuscripts that say what Carrier claims they originally said?If not how does he know they were changed? A conspiracy theory? Really?

The words as we see in all manuscripts fit perfectly with the expectations of the audience that the messiah was going to be born as a human from the house of David. Paul's audience would take what he said literally and not as any kind of allegory which would simply go over their heads. It would also defeat Paul’s purpose in writing his letters, that a real Jesus died to redeem the sin of Adam and was resurrected as a promise of the universal resurrection then in the popular imagination as seen in the various apocryphal works of the era. It is very clear in context what Paul meant and Galatians 4:4 being an allegory was not it.

"Right. But your asessment of Carrier is wrong. He does count Gal 4:4 as weak evidence for historicity, he doesn't say Jesus is mythical but says the odds are likely 1 in 3 in favor of mythicism and is using Greek sources.

What Greek sources does Carrier claim were used?