• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DeSantis Trying to Force Chaplains in Schools

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Anything that is not part of the necessary curriculum that provides the tools necessary for a student to make a living.
OK, so don't encourage them to think on their own while being exposed to alternatives, right?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Does the governor actually have the authority - per the law as written - to do this, though? Wouldn't the selection of the chaplains all be done by individual school districts?

In short, I suspect this is really just a bunch of political posturing on his part and his office doesn't actually have the authority. But I dunno.
The governor would probably have the political pull for reprisals in some form against the school districts that don't play along with what he wants.

He also has the ear of Republican school trustees.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Religious Education as taught in the UK, Australia etc does a good job of creating atheists.
Probably, and a good job it might do so, given that not so many take science to any useful level and where this would likely make more atheists.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK, so don't encourage them to think on their own while being exposed to alternatives, right?
Well, if you just concentrate on learning trades and don't teach them to think logically or reason abstractly, thinking on their own likely wouldn't occur to them. Without history or civics instruction they might not think of alternatives, either
A brave new world of peace and stability.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Who would pay for the studies? Wouldn't we have to give the various religions equal time? Would teaching contradictory facts in different classes cause any problems?
You could as the exact same questions about teaching history. Who would pay for history studies? Wouldn't we have to give various histories equal time? Would teaching contradictory facts in different classes cause any problems?

And those question would be just as absurd.