• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denying Your Child an Education with Critical Thinking Skills

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Yes, Homeschooling COULD be good if the PARENTS are good, educated and intelligent and accept the real world, Religious parents should NEVER teach their kids anything as they will by default want to indooctrinate them into believing into gods or whatever they believe and Reality takes second place.

What, what, what, what, what????

So are you saying that parents who hold religious beliefs cannot be good, educated, and intelligent and accepting of the real world?

Your post seems to indicate that only NON religious parents are qualified to teach their children ANYTHING.

Good grief. :facepalm:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
What, what, what, what, what????

So are you saying that parents who hold religious beliefs cannot be good, educated, and intelligent and accepting of the real world?

Your post seems to indicate that only NON religious parents are qualified to teach their children ANYTHING.

Good grief. :facepalm:

It did sound like that , didn't it? If parents want to teach their children religion they have that right. If they want to teach their children that all religion is bunk, they have that right, too. That is the reason I started posting in this thread to begin with. And I was told to be care with my words. ;) Let's make a deal, I will be careful with my words if you will. :D

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I again should reiterate.... Our consortium is full of families that identify themselves as Christian, and yet fully and completely endorse secular education.

Homeschoolers do not necessarily by any means rub elbows with the Ken Ham crowd.

linwood

I never said or insinuated anything of the sort. If you have a child in high school who still believes in storks and cabbage patch, then I would worry very much about that child.

Indeed as would I but by the same token...

If you have a child in high school who still believes we were made as we are now from mud and bones, then I would worry about that child as well.

You seem to think that teaching a child anything about any religion would do harm, but I don't think so.

You misunderstand.
I believe a thorough religious studies curriculum should be available to our children in public school as it`s an important part of our culture and I educate my child accordingly.
I`m concerned that it isn`t offered in public school curriculum.

What I find harmful is reading the opening chapter on civilization in my high school kids history book and finding The Exodus referenced as a serious scientific source concerning human migration.
(This is an actual happening)

I consider setting ID alongside Evolution just as harmful.

I have no problem with ID discussed in the afore mentioned religious studies context.
I don`t even have a problem with it being spoken of in a science class as long as it is simply to clear any confusion in those vulnerable young minds that ID might actually be science

It did not cause anyone in the class to convert to these faiths. I was an agnostic at the time and it did not cause me to change my mind (that came after I graduated)

I truly hope after all this time Christine you don`t really think I`m here searching for converts or to keep anyone from following any path.

:)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Indeed as would I but by the same token...

If you have a child in high school who still believes we were made as we are now from mud and bones, then I would worry about that child as well.

You misunderstand.
I believe a thorough religious studies curriculum should be available to our children in public school as it`s an important part of our culture and I educate my child accordingly.
I`m concerned that it isn`t offered in public school curriculum.

What I find harmful is reading the opening chapter on civilization in my high school kids history book and finding The Exodus referenced as a serious scientific source concerning human migration.
(This is an actual happening)

I consider setting ID alongside Evolution just as harmful.

I have no problem with ID discussed in the afore mentioned religious studies context.
I don`t even have a problem with it being spoken of in a science class as long as it is simply to clear any confusion in those vulnerable young minds that ID might actually be science

I truly hope after all this time Christine you don`t really think I`m here searching for converts or to keep anyone from following any path.

:)

I would never dream of teaching of creationism in school at all, much less during a science class. :) But, no, I don't think you are trying to stop anyone from following their chosen path.

Gabethewiking

ChristineES, a hypothetical question/moral question, would you think it would be right to indoctrinate children to respect ones fellow man?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
ChristineES, a hypothetical question/moral question, would you think it would be right to indoctrinate children to respect ones fellow man?

I would think that most parents teach their children to basically respect others, but Indoctrinate? Indoctrinate is not the word I would use. It is a parents duty to teach their children- but certainly not to brainwash- which is what I think the way that word is being used in this situation.