• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats say they are united without any dissension

esmith

Veteran Member
Appears that the Republican party isn't the only one with some dissension in it. The Democratic party just voted today to change their party platform. When they took a voice vote it appears that there were numerous delegates that disagreed with the decision.

Close Vote On Changing Demo's Platform

tytlyf

Not Religious
I don't think America should be supporting Israel in the first place. It's a bee-hive. Israel needs to just get it over with and submit. If the Administration had a position on Israel and used an 'etch-a-sketch' moment in recent history, nothing new to politics.
Americas stance on Israel has no affect on the Jewish vote. Jew's will always vote Democrat regardless. By over 80%.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think America should be supporting Israel in the first place. It's a bee-hive. Israel needs to just get it over with and submit. If the Administration had a position on Israel and used an 'etch-a-sketch' moment in recent history, nothing new to politics.
Americas stance on Israel has no affect on the Jewish vote. Jew's will always vote Democrat regardless. By over 80%.

On the behalf of my Jewish father, he would vehemently disagree with what you've said here. It does and will have an affect on the Jewish vote.

tytlyf

Not Religious
On the behalf of my Jewish father, he would vehemently disagree with what you've said here. It does and will have an affect on the Jewish vote.
Really? I've researched this and have found that I don't recall a single time in history the Republicans received the majority of the Jewish vote. This kind of thing was presented in a different thread and I had to resort to googling for him/her.

Let me google that for you

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
The position on gay marriage has many a black pastor in a tiff.

Perhaps the Dem have been taking some votes for granted.

Sure, they won't vote Republican or anything like that but they may stay home and not vote at all.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Really? I've researched this and have found that I don't recall a single time in history the Republicans received the majority of the Jewish vote. This kind of thing was presented in a different thread and I had to resort to googling for him/her.

Let me google that for you

I don't care who has the majority; that's not what I'm talking about. You claimed it will have no impact, and that simply isn't true. The Democratic party will lose some of the Jewish vote depending on their stance on Israel. Jews will not always vote Democrat regardless. If this is a hot-button issue for my father, you can bet your bagels it is for some others in the Jewish community as well. For at least some, it will be the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I don't care who has the majority; that's not what I'm talking about. You claimed it will have no impact, and that simply isn't true. The Democratic party will lose some of the Jewish vote depending on their stance on Israel. Jews will not always vote Democrat regardless. If this is a hot-button issue for my father, you can bet your bagels it is for some others in the Jewish community as well. For at least some, it will be the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back.
I understand your point. But the #'s swayed won't make a scratch considering the Jewish population in America.

It was foolish of me to insinuate that no Jew would be offended. :sorry1:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
No worries about the overgeneralization; we all do it sometimes without realizing it. I concur that the impact would probably not be gigantic, but I'm not really sure how large or small it would be. I know that when I was living in a predominantly Jewish suburb several years back, US policy on Israel was a big thing as well. I mean, they had donation cans at all the grocery stores to support things over there. It's not an afterthought like it is for (probably) most Americans. Maybe it would be bigger than I think or any of us think? Who knows? I may practice divination, but I don't do fortune telling. :D

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The position on gay marriage has many a black pastor in a tiff.

Those black pastors need to take a step back and recall their own struggles fighting for rights and equality. And it's both funny and sad that they base their stance on a book that is also pro-slavery. They must've forgotten about that part of history as well.

tytlyf

Not Religious
The (D) is inserting god into their convention tonight. I'm not necessarily a fan. It must have been in response to the mainstream king of media ratings that made a stink. Who woulda thought>

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The (D) is inserting god into their convention tonight. I'm not necessarily a fan. It must have been in response to the mainstream king of media ratings that made a stink. Who woulda thought>

In the U.S., playing lip service to religion is a requirement in the political game, even for the "left" (or right-lite).

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
I would've been interested to hear what the vote would've been if "God" and "Jerusalem" were each voted on separately

Last edited:

esmith

Veteran Member

Yeah, I guess President Obama put his foot down and said put it back in.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
There always seem to be dissension in democrat ranks; that's why it's harder for them to accomplish anything even when they have a majority. The republicans have created this homogeneous voting block, enabling them to enforce their will even with a minority.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
There always seem to be dissension in democrat ranks; that's why it's harder for them to accomplish anything even when they have a majority. The republicans have created this homogeneous voting block, enabling them to enforce their will even with a minority.
And they call us the stupid party. :p

Is that not what most unions do?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
And they call us the stupid party. :p

Is that not what most unions do?

Not stupid, just... domesticated. :D

Personally, I'd much prefer both parties to split up into smaller parties and then be homogeneous within those. Democrats just don't have the backbone and/or tameability to go up against the republican monolith.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Yeah, I guess President Obama put his foot down and said put it back in.

I like that.....Romney just said something to the effect of...Their policies aren't my policies....I'm sure he'll flip flop and change his mind on that.

Last edited: