• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democracy is in trouble in America

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
In addition today in a poll today from the Washington Post reported by the Guardian:

The Post reported: “A majority continue to say that violence against the government is never justified – but the 62% who hold that view is a new low point, and a stark difference from the 1990s, when as many as 90% said violence was never justified.”

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Many people are very apathetic and think voting is a waste of time as it doesn't change anything.
Well that seems like a universal thing lol

But we have no choice but to at least show up at voting booths. How many actually vote, I’m not sure of the exact numbers.
I certainly remember “trolling” on my voter slip a few times as a teenager though.

In saying that our politics, whilst can be flamboyant at times, aren’t the US style. For better or worse

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I preferred Tulsi Gabbard but the awful DNC sabotaged her like they did Bernie Sanders in 2016. They seem happy to ram unpopular or even hated (like Hillary) candidates down the voter's throats and refuse to listen to their base.
You know I heard a lot of folks (apparently from both sides) lament how Bernie was sabotaged.
If I may ask, why did you support Bernie?

If you don’t mind me saying so, I figured you to be somewhat conservative. If I’m mistaken, then I do apologise. The politics of some Americans I interact with are sometimes hard for me to get a firm grasp of.
Lost in translation maybe?

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
You know I heard a lot of folks (apparently from both sides) lament how Bernie was sabotaged.
If I may ask, why did you support Bernie?

If you don’t mind me saying so, I figured you to be somewhat conservative. If I’m mistaken, then I do apologise. The politics of some Americans I interact with are sometimes hard for me to get a firm grasp of.
Lost in translation maybe?
There is no political party here that really represents my views. I'm anti-corporate power, against money worship and materialism/consumerism, skeptical of "free market" capitalism but believe in strong borders/immigration controls, tradition, religion and upholding culture. I would fit better in the European populist right. So I just vote for whoever's views or values align mostly with mine, give or take.

Last edited:

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I'm fairly certain that Bush always believed he won, regardless of any evidence otherwise. It was a while ago, so I can't remember their exact reactions off the top of my head.

Anyway, major elections and campaigns are filled with corruption and lies and have been for years. None of it is real or upfront. It's all just theater at the end of the day.
My point is he was certified to win. Of course he thought he won. The system worked to some extent then, though the Supreme Court seemed to act in a political way, but we'll never know for sure if their considerations were political. Gore conceded the presidency to Bush, though he disagreed with the Supreme Court decision.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I preferred Tulsi Gabbard but the awful DNC sabotaged her like they did Bernie Sanders in 2016. They seem happy to ram unpopular or even hated (like Hillary) candidates down the voter's throats and refuse to listen to their base.
Gabbard never got adequate voter support to be nominated. She was an oddity that many conservative men were attracted to. I don't remember why they liked her.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Gabbard never got adequate voter support to be nominated. She was an oddity that many conservative men were attracted to. I don't remember why they liked her.
Because she had good ideas that crossed political boundaries. Of course she didn't have "adequate voter support" because they didn't even let her speak or be heard. They just dangle corporate puppets, with special interest money backing them, before us. So instead of a young-ish mixed race Hindu combat vet in the Army, we got another old *** decrepit establishment white man to give us more of the same that the neocons and neoliberals always give us.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't make a claim either way but an extra 26+ million votes did come in 2020 compared to 2004 -2016. And that many more votes will make some wonder.

2004- 121 million votes
2008- 129 million votes
2012- 126 million votes
2016- 128 million votes
2020- 155 million votes.
That was expected LONG before the actual election. Nothing surprising about it all that it actually happened for such a high profile election.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Because she had good ideas that crossed political boundaries. Of course she didn't have "adequate voter support" because they didn't even let her speak or be heard.
Well the candidates that have more public support tend to get more attention. That's just how democracy works. She was too far right for democrats. Bernie has been too far left.

They just dangle corporate puppets, with special interest money backing them, before us. So instead of a young-ish mixed race Hindu combat vet in the Army, we got another old *** decrepit establishment white man to give us more of the same that the neocons and neoliberals always give us.
Well this is cynical. Moderates or centrists tend to get the nominations on the democrat side. Obama was centrist. Hilary was centrist Biden is centrist. That's the trend.

Reagan was centrist. Bush was centrist. McCain was centrist. Romney was centrist. Trump is corrupt and a manipulative conman.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't make a claim either way but an extra 26+ million votes did come in 2020 compared to 2004 -2016. And that many more votes will make some wonder.

2004- 121 million votes
2008- 129 million votes
2012- 126 million votes
2016- 128 million votes
2020- 155 million votes.

And all the investigations have found nothing wrong which does not stop the attempt to steal the next election by the right.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Well the candidates that have more public support tend to get more attention. That's just how democracy works. She was too far right for democrats. Bernie has been too far left.

Well this is cynical. Moderates or centrists tend to get the nominations on the democrat side. Obama was centrist. Hilary was centrist Biden is centrist. That's the trend.

Reagan was centrist. Bush was centrist. McCain was centrist. Romney was centrist. Trump is corrupt and a manipulative conman.
Technically, all those people were right-wing, and most of the people you mentioned were warmongers, war criminals, beholden to the billionaire class and love to throw more poor people in prison for petty crimes, while generally shredding the Constitution and grabbing more power for themselves and their cronies. But you go ahead and believe Bush, Biden, Reagan, McCain, Obama, Clinton, etc. are "moderate" or "centrist". I guess Marie Antoinette was, too, when she said "let them eat cake". Lol.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I think they’re all corrupt and manipulative. Granted I tend to be cynical towards politicians in general so.
But what makes those guys centrists?
Maybe this is another lost in translation thing for me. But to my eyes they are very very conservative hard right leaning folks

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't know about your country but here in the US you are free to...
Fish as long as you buy a license
-certain fish cost you an extra tag
Hunt as long as you buy a license
-certain game cost you an extra tag
Drive as long as you pay license fees
-and extra fees to license your vehicle
Own land as long as you pay yearly taxes
Own vehicles as long as you pay yearly taxes
Own equipment as long as you pay yearly taxes
Swim in the river as long as you pay a parking fee
Camp at the river as long as you pay a camping fee
Etc, etc, etc.

We are free to do many many things as long as we pay the fees lol

And be as ill as you like so long as you pay the medical bills

PureX

Veteran Member
Wow did he really?
That was because of your Electoral College system, right?
No, it was because the system failed under all the pressure to cheat (by both political parties) and so was over-ridden by the Supreme Court. Bush was not elected president. He was appointed by the court. And in fact, when the votes were finally counted, he had lost the election.

But the loss of democracy in the U.S. is not being caused by the attempts to restrict voting. It's mostly been caused by the Supreme Court allowing the legalized bribery of politicians via all kinds of campaign contributions and perks from corporations and organizations with self-serving agendas.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm fairly certain that Bush always believed he won, regardless of any evidence otherwise. It was a while ago, so I can't remember their exact reactions off the top of my head.

Anyway, major elections and campaigns are filled with corruption and lies and have been for years. None of it is real or upfront. It's all just theater at the end of the day.

I think the real voters are corporations, now declared as 'people'. Once lobbying and special interest took hold, the democratic republic essentially was executed.

When modern politictions say, "The American people", they don't mean you or me.

RestlessSoul

I don't know about your country but here in the US you are free to...
Fish as long as you buy a license
-certain fish cost you an extra tag
Hunt as long as you buy a license
-certain game cost you an extra tag
Drive as long as you pay license fees
-and extra fees to license your vehicle
Own land as long as you pay yearly taxes
Own vehicles as long as you pay yearly taxes
Own equipment as long as you pay yearly taxes
Swim in the river as long as you pay a parking fee
Camp at the river as long as you pay a camping fee
Etc, etc, etc.

We are free to do many many things as long as we pay the fees lol

Everything free in America
For a small fee in America :musicnotes:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
No, it was because the system failed under all the pressure to cheat (by both political parties) and so was over-ridden by the Supreme Court. Bush was not elected president. He was appointed by the court. And in fact, when the votes were finally counted, he had lost the election.

But the loss of democracy in the U.S. is not being caused by the attempts to restrict voting. It's mostly been caused by the Supreme Court allowing the legalized bribery of politicians via all kinds of campaign contributions and perks from corporations and organizations with self-serving agendas.
So, Bush was made President by your Supreme Court?

How..odd.
Interestingly I saw repeated calls for that to happen for Trump.
Just an observation