• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deism appears to be true and Prophets and Messengers not, why?

InvestigateTruth

OK but what's the point in growing and learning if you're not gonna use those lessons in the afterlife since everything will be perfect by then? I'd understand putting humans through suffering so that the lessons they learn will be helpful in an imperfect afterlife where things are even tougher and where they can use the strength they accrued in this life to help them but everything will be perfect in the afterlife and scripture even states that we'll forget what happened to us in this life so the whole thing makes no sense
It is not known how the afterlife will be. We don't know until we are there. I don't think scripture really gives much details about it either. All it says, is, there will be an afterlife. I notice, people often have a different interpretation about what scriptures says about afterlife. Plus, depend which scriptures we are referring. Christian Bible? Old Testament? Quran? Bahai Scriptures? Buddhism? Hinduism? Zoroastrianism?...?

Jos

It is not known how the afterlife will be. We don't know until we are there. I don't think scripture really gives much details about it either. All it says, is, there will be an afterlife. I notice, people often have a different interpretation about what scriptures says about afterlife. Plus, depend which scriptures we are referring. Christian Bible? Old Testament? Quran? Bahai Scriptures? Buddhism? Hinduism? Zoroastrianism?...?
Well they all tend to have a general theme of there being a heaven or hell so that's the interpretation I'm going with --- the one that seems most mainstream and least controversial.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Well they all tend to have a general theme of there being a heaven or hell so that's the interpretation I'm going with --- the one that seems most mainstream and least controversial.

Why go with the 'argument from popularity?'

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Well, like I said, it's the least controversial interpretation of the afterlife among religions.

Actually I consider it one of the most controversial, and less likely true, found in the ancient world view of flaming underworld for the punishment of unworthy souls, and some sort of heaven above where the blessed reside.

Jos

Actually I consider it one of the most controversial, and less likely true, found in the ancient world view of flaming underworld for the punishment of unworthy souls, and some sort of heaven above where the blessed reside.
But most of them do hold to that sort of interpretation don't they or something similar, so why is it a controversial interpretation? Unless you mean controversial as in it makes religions look bad rather than it being an unpopular interpretation like I think you meant to say. All that aside though, what do you think is the correct view of the afterlife that religions should have?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
But most of them do hold to that sort of interpretation don't they or something similar, so why is it a controversial interpretation?

Actually many Christians are uncomfortable with this interpretation. Many have opted for less judgmental flexible version that there are spiritual worlds beyond our physical world that correspond to heaven and hell, but many Christians are uncomfortable with the concept of absolute judgement of the condemned. Also some church believe in a version of the blessed dwell in the grave until the Day of Resurrection, when they and the blessed living believers are Resurrected and the world is reborn or they are taken up to heaven.

Yes, many fundamentalist Christian still cling to the ancient worldview of a heaven and hell.

Unless you mean controversial as in it makes religions look bad rather than it being an unpopular interpretation like I think you meant to say. All that aside though, what do you think is the correct view of the afterlife that religions should have?

In ancient world views this was a common belief, but today it becomes awkward and more frequently rejected. Jews, of course, do not share any form of heaven or hell judgement.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The following has some Hindi phrases but I shall translate
Lord Shiva with a benevolent smile on his face says to Hanuman "Yeh vidhi ka vidhaan hai - is me hastakshep nahin hota"
Ergo - "This is the way of the world - There is no interfering with it"
:) Man, 'Vidhi ka Vidhan'. What is Vidhi? Lord Brahma, Vidhata. He has the responsibility for writing the fate of a living being/person. And he has to do it according to the person's 'Sanchita karmas' (Sum total of the person's deeds). So 'Vidhi ka vidhan' has a base and is not totally random. Out of the 'Sanchita karmas', some fructify in one life (Prarabhda karmas).
So this is how it goes. Actions. Their fruits in a person's account of deeds. Big withdrawals, small withdrawals. Big effects, small effects.

How can Lord Shiva interfere in something which is not his field. If it was creation or destruction of the universe, Lord Shiva can easily do that. He just have to ring his rattle (Damru).

9_damaru_drum_instrument_music_spiritual_shiva_sound-128.png

Last edited:

ManSinha

:) Man, 'Vidhi ka Vidhan'. What is Vidhi? Lord Brahma, Vidhata. He has the responsibility for writing the fate of a living being/person. And he has to do it according to his 'Sanchita karmas' (Sum total of the person's deeds). So 'Vidhi ka vidhan' has a base and is not totally random. Out of the 'Sanchita karmas', some fructify in one life (Prarabhda karmas).
So this is how it goes. Actions. Their fruits in a person's account of deeds. Big withdrawals, small withdrawals. Big effects, small effects.

How can Lord Shiva interfere in something which is not his field. If it was creation or dstruction of the universe, Lord Shiva can easily do that. He just have to ring his rattle (Damru).

That is exactly the point I was trying to make - you are just much more eloquent and learned than me