• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Define God

HeatherAnn

God is what makes mud grow fingers and play guitar. God is the eroticisation of energy. God is the enjoyer, and the weeper of tears. God is the intense need to know and be known. God is moral and ethical backbone. God is the striving, and the satisfaction, the dismay and the wrath. God is the look in my eyes.
Passion! Life!
Maybe that is what God is.
And it's beautiful!
So, how can anybody deny God when considered in that way?

Palehorse

I agree that God is love, but I see God as beyond time... higher dimensions that I'm not sure about, but I believe they exist.

That would be because you used the word "I" in your own words. The word "I" is GOD. GOD will always be beyond time when the word "I" is used.

New International Version
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

HeatherAnn

God is the highest faith you can ever have.
God is not a thing.
I think that is true, and I'd like to explore deeper meaning.
The highest faith one can have... how are high and faith defined?
I'd consider high as if you were looking from a very high perspective at the big picture - and base your thoughts, motives and actions based on what is the highest good - with such an expansive perspective in mind.
And I'd consider faith, as not just blind, but a tried and educated ideas of what is ideal, while using intuition as well as healthy doubt/skepticism to not be mislead.

HeatherAnn

I don't even try. To my ears, "define" sounds too much like "confine".
I can see what you mean. Yet, it seems that so often if something is really important to us... we try to understand it, we explore it - to consider possibilities... not in a confining way, but in an exciting and motivating way.

HeatherAnn

Almighty....top of the line life form.
bigger, faster, stronger, most intelligent and greatly experienced.

if not...He could be pushed aside, circumvented, subdued, tricked or cheated.

I believe He set this life in motion to form new spirit with each occasion of life.
and He is willing to stand back and allow the formation to take hold, each to it's own.

good luck
Some would argue that God has been pushed aside, circumvented, subdued etc.

Then again, others would argue that God created the opposition that allows the highest GOoD to be revealed.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
I can see that God is definitely experienced within self.
How do you consider self... just you, or all people, all creation?
self (with a small 's') is what we are now, incarnate, carnal, base creatures with the ability for expanded consciousness
Self (with a capital 'S') is our Higher Self / GodSelf, it is a singularity and no longer encumbered with the duality complexes of the objective universe
Self is our Individual, Individuated, Isolate Consciousness

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Interesting, thank you.
I notice many seemingly opposites... except gender... is God only masculine - or is He also a She?

Gender is a construct of the illusion and ignorance within us, like race, sexuality, nationality, color, status or species.
God is neither male or female but in his manifestated incarnations, he's all.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think so.
But I wonder - is God all emotion - all energy - both constructive and destructive?

Could be. I usually hear god is love and grace. We exchange emotions we interpret as love to one another. The energy is both physical and mental. It definitely can be constructive and destructive. I feel that God as a spirit that underlines all life would be what defines life itself.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
Bahá’u’lláh puts it so beautifully in part of one of His Prayers: “O Thou, most Manifest of the Manifest. O Thou, most Hidden of the Hidden.” I believe that while God is essentially Unknowable, and thus Indefinable, I also believe that the various Manifestations and their Religions do an excellent job at least attempting. Not only this, but He has written His Names upon all of creation. Consider this verse by Bahá'u'lláh:

“Say: Nature in its essence is the embodiment of My Name, the Maker, the Creator.”

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Some would argue that God has been pushed aside, circumvented, subdued etc.

Then again, others would argue that God created the opposition that allows the highest GOoD to be revealed.
I rather stand to the notion....Almighty is a term, self explanatory

none greater

Brian Schuh

Citizens of Sodom and Gomorrah attempted to gang rape two persons who appeared to be vagrants. Many years later, a priest's concubine was gang raped to death.

God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah but left it up to his people to avenge the poor concubine.

Lesson here? God stepped in to execute justice, but later made it clear it really is our job to execute justice, not his.

Another lesson? It is our job to make this world a good place, and the more we take responsibility, we leave God with nothing left to do. I think God wants to retire. He did his job.

One may ask, Why does God allow suffering? And I ask, Why do we allow suffering? That's a better question.

Brian Schuh

Where does it say that they appeared to be vagrants?
Many passages were left out of the Bible for the common people, and many of these were passed on through oral tradition and later written in the two talmuds. Not everything that happened was thought necessary to be included in the Bible.