• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Define God

Jiddanand

God is still a mystery.
All the definitions of the God fail miserably, however God as a mispronunciation or a wrong pronunciation of the word "good" might be a better understanding.
Whatever is good might be thought of as the God, whereas the evil is considered as bad. God is a hope for the auspicious events in the life and for many people this fits for most events.

Last edited:

HeatherAnn

Anything that you can imagine to be God, would by definition, NOT be God. God transcends human subjectivity.

If you were being completely honest, and you have not actually been inspired by God, then you would love and worship the God (of Moses for example). Moses spoke to God, you might remember his conversation at the tree... He did not come up with a subjective idea of what he thought a God should be. He knew God, he spoke to Him.

"The kingdom of God" is not God. God did not say that God is within you. I would love to learn more about this "God is consciousness" thingy. I only have heard about God consciousness. I understand that you will keep searching for the truth and thats sincerity. I wish you luck.
I AM THAT I AM... that's what Moses claimed God was... and that is I am that consciousness aware of my consciousness. And to me it's obvious that the kingdom (realm/experience) of God is within you - where else would you experience anything?

HeatherAnn

I take "God" to mean "the Supreme Being or Power" (in other words, the monotheistic sense). A "god" would simply be any being of great power believed in or worshiped (which is different because such gods are not supreme).

A person could beseech Ares, the God of War, for victory in battle or Poseidon, God of the Sea, for smooth sailing. But while these gods would be beings of great power that could conceivably bestow blessings or curses upon you, none of them are truly Supreme. None of them are "God".
Interesting you mentioned Greek gods - because I've been reading about them lately. Obviously, few consider them as superstitiously as they were back in Greek's day (500 BC or so)... but I do see that they may be explanations of arch-types or possibly spiritual energetic distributions. And as you mentioned, none of them were completely supreme or GOoD in every sense (except maybe Athena ;) ).

People can imagine who or what they think "God" is, but worshiping a created image or representation is idolatry.

'One Light'

What are "I" and "You"?
Just lattices
In the niches of a lamp
Through which the One Light radiates.

"I" and "You" are the veil
Between heaven and earth;
Lift this veil and you will see
How all sects and religions are one.

Lift this veil and you will ask---
When "I" and "You" do not exist
What is mosque?
What is synagogue?
What is fire temple?

- Mahmud Shabistari, translation by Andrew Harvey and Eryk Hanut - 'Perfume of the Desert'​
Beautiful! I'm really coming to see that we are all human beings - part of humanity - that is what "group" we belong to - not some religion or government or ethnicity.

Also I believe similar to Paul Tillech - that God is a way of labeling one's "ultimate concern." I'd guess (by how people prioritize things) that they don't usually call their "ultimate concern" their "god" but nevertheless, in practicality, their money, job, social status etc. - is their "ultimate concern." And the key is to figuring out which concerns of all are less idolatry. If I "know" God is some way - and stick to that idea, I'm no longer open to learning more about God - and by sticking to something less than the highest GOoD, I'm worshipping a false god. It's not to say we shouldn't TRY to understand God - to keep seeking and learning. My idea of god is love based on highest truths - but that's very open to interpretation with each unique evolving moment.

HeatherAnn

If the definition "a motorized vehicle with four wheels" is given the label "car" through someone, can you define a motorized vehicle with fours wheels in your own way? If something that is not a motorized vehicle with four wheels is called a "car" in Greece, is that a Greek motorized vehicle with four wheels?
So, it seems you're implying that people interpret things differently - they use words in different symbolic ways.
Shakespeare said, "What's in a name? A rose by any other name will smell as sweet."

HeatherAnn

God is still a mystery.
All the definitions of the God fail miserably, however God as a mispronunciation or a wrong pronunciation of the word "good" might be a better understanding.
Whatever is good might be thought of as the God, whereas the evil is considered as bad. God is a hope for the auspicious events in the life and for many people this fits for most events.
I agree, though it's good to acknowledge the very subjective nature of not only God, but also GOoD.

midopafo

For what it is worth, I really think the " I Define God " smacks of more what we think of Him, and less of what He thinks of us. Of course we should be there in our thought of God, but I think this question lacks the awe and humility that should be present in those who consider themselves as His children, in my opinion.

S986S

God itself has a few interpretations
  • The Universe - is the universe simply your perspective or is there an existant fabric you are a stitch in? How is the fabric woven, what is its pattern/lack of
  • The Beginning, history - whatever started the universe or simply an individuals perspective is an aspect of God
  • The now - your experience abd its consequences
  • The End, Cycle, Rebalance - whatever will end the universe or an individuals perspective is an aspect of God. What happens at the end.
  • Possibility - the awareness of alternative existances outside of what you are presented
  • Predestination, Physics, control - there is an element of prediction of what will happen in regards to the universe. To the point it can be considered physics
  • Choice, metrics of good, Goals, work - ultimately an individual may or may not have choice. Additionally, the definition of good may change when provided mpre information but the individual may still be judged based on their actions. There may or may not be a "grand judge" however, an individuals Goals and the acheivement of those Goals can be a sign of success.
  • Risk, Gambling, Chance, Doubt, Ignorance, Forgetfulness - while there exists full on physics and choice, there also exists the pressence if lack of information. This lack will likely always exist whether in concept or reality
  • War - when two ir more parties exist, there will likely be a struggle for something. The rational is independent from the notion of struggle, a defined winner and loser and a rebalancing of resources.
Maybe more and maybe I could consolidate. Ultimately, God as an omnipotent force is possible however, is only one possibility. To define God, understanding what it represents is likely the first step

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
How I define God reveals more about me than about God.
My definition of God is still evolving.
I don't claim to know all there is to know about God - nor do I believe I will understand much in my entire life - compared to all there is to know.
Currently, I define God as love based on truth - and as Paul Tillech defined God, as "one's ultimate concern."
I also define God as ultimate GOoD - which each of us strive for by trial and error - active faith.
Part of that GOoD, I consider to be a higher power - a means of tapping into "the kingdom of God within."
And I realize the common need to spiritually connect by personification of (God) spirituality (Jesus, gods, Saints, Mary, etc.).

How do you define God?

I agree with you, love is the ultimate purpose for our existence, for everything, the greatest motive for any action.

Everything else, is a means towards that end, which includes the necessity of our having the free will to make a choice, between love.. and an alternative. Without which love could have no meaning, could not exist

wicketkeeper

Living From the Heart.
How do you define God?

Impossible :) But this is a forum for discussion of such topics.

God is everything physical and not physical.
God is everything good and everything bad
God is also the ugly ! Must be if God is everything !
God is love andd God is hate,
God is being noticed and God is being ignored.
God is running your best time for a marathon(3hr 23mins)
God is having the worst race of your life(I've had a few !)
God is..........................................you get my drift !

In the Bible God says he is the creator of good and evil, the verse escapes me at this point. I am awaiting my first study Bible so I can go in depth into its story. I have Strong's Concordance. Many of my 'old' friends would be shocked to discover this ! I was a fiery atheist in the 70's - 1970's not 1870's :)

Finally, from the Tao:-

The "Tao" is too great to be described by the name "Tao".
If it could be named so simply, it would not be the eternal Tao.

I hope you get my drift !!!

pearl

I agree that if you consider the Ultimate Greatest Objective Truth - it is beyond definition.
Yet, I believe it's better to keep searching and trying to figure it out - even if we never arrive.
If you HAD to define God - if someone was holding you at gun point ;) - what would you say about God?

Incomprehensible Mystery

HeatherAnn

Impossible :) But this is a forum for discussion of such topics.

God is everything physical and not physical.
God is everything good and everything bad
God is also the ugly ! Must be if God is everything !
God is love andd God is hate,
God is being noticed and God is being ignored.
God is running your best time for a marathon(3hr 23mins)
God is having the worst race of your life(I've had a few !)
God is..........................................you get my drift !

In the Bible God says he is the creator of good and evil, the verse escapes me at this point. I am awaiting my first study Bible so I can go in depth into its story. I have Strong's Concordance. Many of my 'old' friends would be shocked to discover this ! I was a fiery atheist in the 70's - 1970's not 1870's :)

Finally, from the Tao:-

The "Tao" is too great to be described by the name "Tao".
If it could be named so simply, it would not be the eternal Tao.

I hope you get my drift !!!
Yes, I believe that God is all... but I think there is more meaning behind it.
Like the Tao it may be too complicated and emense to describe, yet paradoxically, I feel spiritually obligated to try and keep trying.
A friend says, "God would be doing exactly what you are if he was in your shoes."
When you think about horrible murderers, this gets complicated - how can God be part of something so evil?
Yet, "in each of us is a bit of all of us" - we all have some evil to some degree - and through that opposition (opposites) - we realize truth/wholeness.

This is a very deep truth that I think many (maybe ideally so) are hesitant to point out because it can so very easily be misunderstood to mean that "anything goes." Beneath the "all things are relative" and "there must needs be opposition in all things" - ideally - is a deep commitment to progress, which involves choosing that which is GOoD for self and others.

pearl

For example....?
I agree but again, I think it's important and GOoD to try to describe God - to understand as clearly as we can, what is the highest GOoD - how it works etc.

But we can only 'describe' how we experience God, or his attributes. You cannot 'define' a 'wholly' Other. God is the ground of all being, love itself, the reason that anything exists at all, it is loved, without which nothing would exist.

wicketkeeper

Living From the Heart.
Everything. The seen and the unseen. Everything. Simply is Life Unfolding. Everything. When you sing, it is God singing. When you are isolated, God is isolated. When you smile, it is God smiling.

A dog barks, God barks. Sounds strange, God thinks so too. Just hang around in your own Space, infinite Space. God is there too. God is always somewhere. God is everywhere. God.

allfoak

Alchemist
How do you define God?
This is the best definition i have found yet.
CHAPTER IV
THE ALL
"Under, and back of, the Universe of Time, Space and Change,
is ever to be found The Substantial Reality--the Fundamental
Truth."--The Kybalion.

"Substance" means: "that which underlies all outward manifestations; the essence; the essential reality; the thing in itself," etc. "Substantial" means: "actually existing; being the essential element; being real," etc. "Reality" means: "the state of being real; true, enduring; valid; fixed; permanent; actual," etc.

Under and behind all outward appearances or manifestations, there must always be a Substantial Reality. This is the Law. Man considering the Universe, of which he is a unit, sees nothing but change in matter, forces, and mental states. He sees that nothing really IS, but that everything is BECOMING and CHANGING. Nothing stands still-everything is being born, growing, dying-the very instant a thing reaches its height, it begins to decline--the law of rhythm is in constant operation--there is no reality, enduring quality, fixity, or substantiality in anything-- nothing is permanent but Change. He sees all things evolving from other things, and resolving into other things--constant action and reaction; inflow and outflow; building up and tearing down; creation and destruction; birth, growth and death. Nothing endures but Change. And if he be a thinking man, he realizes that all of these changing things must be but outward appearances or manifestations of some Underlying Power--some Substantial Reality.
The Kybalion is a pretty well known hermetic text.
This is the link to the rest of the chapter and book.
The Kybalion: Chapter IV. The All

ajay0

I don't claim to know all there is to know about God - nor do I believe I will understand much in my entire life - compared to all there is to know.
Currently, I define God as love based on truth - and as Paul Tillech defined God, as "one's ultimate concern."
I also define God as ultimate GOoD - which each of us strive for by trial and error - active faith.
Part of that GOoD, I consider to be a higher power - a means of tapping into "the kingdom of God within."
And I realize the common need to spiritually connect by personification of (God) spirituality (Jesus, gods, Saints, Mary, etc.).

How do you define God?

God is pure consciousness.

As the impersonal absolute, we call God as Nirguna Brahman.

In the personal form, we call God as Saguna Brahman, as termed as Shiva,Ishwar, Jehovah, Allah, Ahura Mazda and Waheguru.

Tabu

How do you define God?
View attachment 15737

Soundwave99

A metaphysical being that is claimed to exist and perform some function. Oftentimes this function involves the creation of the universe (tried to make the most inclusive definition I could).