• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Defending the Validity of Religious/Spiritual Experiences

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I am responding to some common objections regarding why one should not consider spiritual/mystical to be knowledge producing.

1) Mystical experience are private and hence are not verifiable
Response: All experiences are private. I have not seen any public experience. My experience of a tree is as private as your experience of the tree.

2) There is no entity out there to which such experience refers to. Hence they are not about anything
Response: This does not mean that the experience is not pointing to a truth. Mathematical relations can be cognized without it being out there. Thus we can have veridical experiences that are not directly tied to things out there in the world.

3)Mystical experiences cannot be checked or verified for being true or false

For an established tradition of mysticism there are strict regulations and rules determining what does or does not constitute a genuine mystical experience. There are hundreds of texts on this. What has not happened is the universalization of standards across traditions that is accepted by all. However it is to be noted that sustained interactions between Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, Sufis, Sikhs did mean that despite differences, much similarities can be found in the processes that lead towards spiritual experiences and the ways of determining if these experiences are real or not. Further, just like any advanced discipline, it is only practitioners of the path who form the peer group who have the expertise to decide whether an experience based claim is veridical or not.

4) Not everyone can experience it. So it cannot be reliable.
Not everyone can gather, analyze, understand or use the data that scientists or medical practitioners or experts use in their professional lives. However it can be learned, just like any specialized discipline. Not everyone can learn as well or do as good as some or reach the highest level. This too is common in all disciplines of human activity. It does not make sense to claim General Relativity is false as I cannot grasp it. Why would it make any more sense here?

5) The experiences cannot be expressed and are vague and unfalsifiable
There are literally thousands of years of detailed debate and interrogation literature on the nature of these experiences, apparent contradictions between the various experiences and what they truly tell about the nature of reality in Indian history. That is probably true in other traditions as well. Entire systems of logic, grammar, mathematics and epistemology has been developed out of such debates. These are not the marks of vague or unfalsifiable vacuous statements that are alleged for spiritual experiences.

6) They have no utility that you can check now
Studies have already shown that being part of a participating faith community is highly beneficial to physical and mental health. The benefits of yoga, various types of meditation on mental health, dealing with pain etc. are also established. Further, it is up to the practitioner to decide whether what he/she is getting is worth the effort.

7) The claimed knowledge is disconnected with scientific reality
This is not true for all systems. But many systems need to modernize and update what it is saying to be more consonant with what science says. In many traditions what can actually be known from spiritual insights have been mixed up with older beliefs about the world that were generally believed in the time when such traditions arose. Careful re-examination needed to distinguish between actual insights and legacy beliefs from an older time. I believe that if this is done, there is nothing really incompatible between the truths of spiritual insights and scientific knowledge of the world.

8) What about all the extra-ordinary claims (like you can live a 1000 years, fly etc.)?
Do not believe extra-ordinary claims unless you get extra-ordinary evidence. Fishing IS a legitimate activity even if half the claims of what fishermen say they had caught in the good old days need to be treated with a dose of skepticism. :p

What do you think?
You didn't really cover the reason I don't put much stock in "mystical" experiences:

The hallmarks of a "mystical" experience suggest a failing or malfunctioning brain, and it wouldn't be reasonable to consider a brain in such a condition to be reliable. Commonalities in "mystical" experiences seem to be a better fit with commonalities of human physiology than they do with the idea that they point to any external truths.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I am responding to some common objections regarding why one should not consider spiritual/mystical to be knowledge producing.
BTW: what do you mean by "knowledge producing"?

Personally, I have no issue with the idea that a person could find their "mystical" experiences personally profound or perspective-altering, which is a sort of knowledge, even though it doesn't require the visions/hallucinations/feelings/etc. of the experience to be objectively true.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Sure, lying in the grass counting the leaves and discussing the colour and shape of the fruits in the tree is fun.
But climbing the tree and tasting the fruits is much much better.
You will never understand the taste of fruit if you are too lazy or stubborn to pick them.

And what of those of us who have climbed that tree and eaten poisonous fruit? As someone who's tasted that poison myself, I'm a bit skeptical of which trees may or may not be poisonous... Especially since the group I was with said that the fruit was good to eat. o_O

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Sure, lying in the grass counting the leaves and discussing the colour and shape of the fruits in the tree is fun.
But climbing the tree and tasting the fruits is much much better.
You will never understand the taste of fruit if you are too lazy or stubborn to pick them.
Not sure how your post is relevant to the one you quote.

It also seems like you're assuming that I've never had a "mystical" experience (and that I'm somehow lazy because of it), which would be an incorrect assumption.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I don't think it's fair to generalize all mystical experiences as the same for everybody despite religious contradictions.

I consider spiritual experiences highly unique. Certainly positive experiences energize people and promote health.

There may be a simple basis for mystical experiences such as positive and negative feelings, such as love, or hate.

Currently I can identify love, peace, elation, joy, and awe as feelings that carry meaning to me.

I do have more ethereal feelings that I can focus myself into experiencing. Inspiration is a powerful feeling. I work myself into particular understandings, or listen to powerful music to create the experience.

I think the belief and faith one has can give one a higher form of energy. I used to have faith and belief that were highly motivating.

If I had to say, I do think there is a simple language to the kinds of feelings and experiences one can have.

AlexanderG

Response: All experiences are private. I have not seen any public experience. My experience of a tree is as private as your experience of the tree.

2) There is no entity out there to which such experience refers to. Hence they are not about anything
Response: This does not mean that the experience is not pointing to a truth. Mathematical relations can be cognized without it being out there. Thus we can have veridical experiences that are not directly tied to things out there in the world.

For an established tradition of mysticism there are strict regulations and rules determining what does or does not constitute a genuine mystical experience. There are hundreds of texts on this. What has not happened is the universalization of standards across traditions that is accepted by all. However it is to be noted that sustained interactions between Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, Sufis, Sikhs did mean that despite differences, much similarities can be found in the processes that lead towards spiritual experiences and the ways of determining if these experiences are real or not. Further, just like any advanced discipline, it is only practitioners of the path who form the peer group who have the expertise to decide whether an experience based claim is veridical or not.

Not everyone can gather, analyze, understand or use the data that scientists or medical practitioners or experts use in their professional lives. However it can be learned, just like any specialized discipline. Not everyone can learn as well or do as good as some or reach the highest level. This too is common in all disciplines of human activity. It does not make sense to claim General Relativity is false as I cannot grasp it. Why would it make any more sense here?

There are literally thousands of years of detailed debate and interrogation literature on the nature of these experiences, apparent contradictions between the various experiences and what they truly tell about the nature of reality in Indian history. That is probably true in other traditions as well. Entire systems of logic, grammar, mathematics and epistemology has been developed out of such debates. These are not the marks of vague or unfalsifiable vacuous statements that are alleged for spiritual experiences.

Studies have already shown that being part of a participating faith community is highly beneficial to physical and mental health. The benefits of yoga, various types of meditation on mental health, dealing with pain etc. are also established. Further, it is up to the practitioner to decide whether what he/she is getting is worth the effort.

This is not true for all systems. But many systems need to modernize and update what it is saying to be more consonant with what science says. In many traditions what can actually be known from spiritual insights have been mixed up with older beliefs about the world that were generally believed in the time when such traditions arose. Careful re-examination needed to distinguish between actual insights and legacy beliefs from an older time. I believe that if this is done, there is nothing really incompatible between the truths of spiritual insights and scientific knowledge of the world.

8) What about all the extra-ordinary claims (like you can live a 1000 years, fly etc.)?
Do not believe extra-ordinary claims unless you get extra-ordinary evidence. Fishing IS a legitimate activity even if half the claims of what fishermen say they had caught in the good old days need to be treated with a dose of skepticism. :p

What do you think?

I'll take a shot. I will say that I don't agree with how you've phrased some of these objections, since a lot of them unnecessarily create burdens of proof or don't characterize what I think the actual objections are, but I'll try and explain why.

1) I would rephrase this as "Mystical experiences are subjective and hence are not objectively verifiable." Your tree example therefore fails, because we can objectively verify that trees exist. If you then want to attribute mystical properties to that tree that we cannot objectively verify, then I will not particularly believe you, because there is no demonstration tethering that claim to demonstrable reality.

2) Again, it's better to say, "There is no objective, empirical, or demonstrable evidence that any entity is causing these subjective experiences." You go on to say that "this does not mean that the experience is not pointing to a truth." Well, that's nice, but we can't disprove a negative. We're looking for evidence that the experience is pointing to a truth, because otherwise there is no reason to believe you. Math is a conceptual language. I can make up math just like I can make up a story about Klingons, and until there is evidence demonstrated in objective reality to confirm the things I've made up, we should assume they are merely imaginary and not real. The fact that I can't disprove them adds nothing to the discussion or to their credibility.

3) I think the objection stands. I don't see how your rebuttal challenged the point. Yes, there are long traditions of people believing things that are apparently only imaginary, and passing those ideas down to other people who also believe these imaginary things, and categorizing the types of things they imagine. I don't see any justification that their ideas correspond to reality, nor do I see any justification for thinking any of them have "expertise" to tell other people what they can or can't imagine.

4) I don't think this is a valid objection. There are people who can taste flavors that others can't due to their genetics. Likewise, some ethnic groups can see farther into the UV or infrared light spectrum than most other humans. In these cases, we can design experiments that objectively test and demonstrate these facts. There have been no objective tests or demonstrations showing that mystical experiences correspond to anything in reality besides the propensity for human emotions, imagination, and group hysteria, or drug-induced chemical changes to our brains that changes our mental state temporarily. These are all related to conceptualizations in our brain, aka imagination.

5) Again, not really a well-structured objection. If something is vague and unfalsifiable, it doesn't mean it's false. It just means it's not verifiable and therefore doesn't warrant belief. Your following explanation makes a genetic fallacy, namely that if an initial idea leads to the consideration and development of other true ideas, then the first idea must be true. This does not logically follow.

6) I agree with your objection to this argument. However, the evidence merely shows that there are benefits to belonging to a social in-group where people support each other throughout their lives, and benefits to exercise and personal introspection. These benefits accrue no matter the underlying belief involved, whether it is mystical, naturalistic, or entirely mundane like a social group of sports fans. The benefits therefore do not support the particular beliefs, except insofar as the beliefs psychologically motivate the behavior. Again, nothing here supports any supernatural, mystical, or theistic claims.

7) Science makes no absolute claims about reality, nor does it prove things. Currently, there is no scientific evidence that specifically supports mystical, supernatural, or theistic claims. You point out that many such claims are not incompatible with science, and this presents a good opportunity to educate you about the scientific method and what makes good epistemology. Due to the problem of underdetermination, an infinite number of different explanations can sufficiently explain any current or past data; any can be compatible with all observations and data. I could say a devious alien is tricking everyone who claims to have mystical experiences, by sometimes teleporting an undetectable object into their brain to trick them into thinking they're connecting with some presence or substance outside of their mind, but it's just a chemical manipulation caused by the alien object. This explanation is not inconsistent with the entire history of mysticism. And yet do we have any reason to believe it? No. I could imagine an infinite number of similar explanations that would be consistent with everything we see in past and present reality, but that consistency gives zero evidence they are in fact real. In the same way, there isn't any reason to believe ancient claims about superstition, imaginary attributions of emotional experiences, etc, until it is verified by science. And based on induction and all the observable patterns of human progress in knowledge, the older a "legacy belief" is, the more likely it is to be wrong.

The scientific method introduces novel, future-testable predictions. Instead of post hoc rationalization to come up with a self-consistent explanation of past or present data, it forces us to test our conceptual models of reality against new predictions that have never been tested before. If such tests then produce the new evidence your model predicted, then this is very good evidence that your explanatory model is the real one, as opposed to the infinite other explanations we can merely imagine. So far, no such testable predictions have been confirmed for any supernatural models. Mysticism is an untested hypothesis at best, and very possibly incompatible with science if no such test can even be proposed.

8) I think what you're trying to say here is, "What about the apparent tendency for humans to make up stories, exaggerate the details over time, and then subsequently believe these exaggerations in later generations when the original true details have been lost?" I think this is a good argument against mystical experiences being more than subjective feelings in our brains. If you lower your evidentiary standard enough to belief mystical claims, then in order to be intellectually consistent you would then need to accept most other supernatural claims, many of which are contradictory. This would be incoherent and irrational.

Last edited:

RestlessSoul

There are some other objections I frequently hear. I'd be interested in hearing your answers to the following as well:

9) Religious Institutions are corrupt and are merely tools to manipulate people.

10) Since morality is relative, religions are mere propositions by small minded groups. They limit human joy and expression, particularly sexual expression, or entertainments or other pleasures which people should be able to enjoy.

11) Religions come from Bronze Age goat herders and hence are antiquated and cannot compete with the utility of modern humanism.

12) Religions are mysogynistic or sexist, which evidences that they are backward.

13) Religions indoctrinate vulnerable children, and religion should only be taught to adults capable of deciding what to believe for themselves.

All institutions are susceptible to corruption. This is as true of legal institutions as it is of spiritual ones; corrupt or not, who would wish to live in a society without laws?

God alone can judge our sexual conduct; most societies have codes of behaviour which may be as problematic as the powerful urge they are intended to regulate. Take away religion, and this area of the human experience would still be a source of much sorrow and controversy, as well as much joy.

Never underestimate Bronze Age goat herders. We have not evolved far at all in 3,000 years and it’s only our arrogance that makes us think we have.

People are sometimes mysogynistic, sexist, racist etc, and these negative qualities can find their way into religious practice, as they can into all other aspects of human life. They should always be challenged wherever they manifest.

Adults indoctrinate vulnerable children. Parents, wittingly and unwittingly, pass their values into their children. This is true of all parents, not just religious ones.

What I found the last 30 years are the experiences themselves are not knowledge producing but life changing. What I see is when a person like myself has a spiritual awakening that came through the gospel and this led me to the Scriptures and that’s when I started to gain wisdom and understanding of life. This also revealed to me where I went off track before that.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
much similarities can be found in the processes that lead towards spiritual experiences and the ways of determining if these experiences are real or not. Further, just like any advanced discipline, it is only practitioners of the path who form the peer group who have the expertise to decide whether an experience based claim is veridical or not.

That's an important point.

Religious Institutions

To me there's a vast difference between religious institutions and spiritual experiences. Institutions are concerned with dogma, rituals and the like. That's different from experiences.

The hallmarks of a "mystical" experience suggest a failing or malfunctioning brain,

In the East, there's a distinction drawn between the mentally ill and those who can have the same outwardness but their internal state is intoxicated with love of God

Besides, there are "salik" pilgrims who have perfectly ordinary speech and behavior. Mentally ill people don't.

We're looking for evidence that the experience is pointing to a truth, because otherwise there is no reason to believe you.

Maybe an analogy is musicology and musical performance. Without detailed historical sources, people study pictures and limited texts to try to determine how instruments were really played during the Renaissance because they want to play the instrument the way it was played hundreds of years ago.

From that study they arrive at a conclusion based on limited evidence and their best judgement. Others will correctly say that their work is not truly falsifiable because there's no way to prove to a reasonable confidence interval that they are correct.

But you are correct to say there is no 'reason' to believe. There is no reason because reason is not sufficient. If I had the trick of floating in air, it would be reasonable to assume it was really just stage magic.

And even if it were real, it would not prove much as this story of Rabia illustrates:

One day Hazrat Hassan Basri saw Hazrat Rabia near a lake. He threw his prayer rug on top of the water and said, "Rabia, come! Let us pray two rakats here." She replied, "Hassan, when you are showing off your spiritual goods in the worldly market, it should be things which your fellow men cannot display." Then, she threw her prayer rug into the air and flew up onto it saying, "Come up here, Hassan, where people can see us." Then she said, "Hassan, what you did fishes can do, and what I did flies can do. But the real business is outside these tricks. One must apply oneself to the real business."

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What I found the last 30 years are the experiences themselves are not knowledge producing but life changing

As someone once quipped: "what's the use of turning up all the burners on your stove if you are not cooking something" to illustrate that a true experience changes one and then behavior starts to change.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
To me there's a vast difference between religious institutions and spiritual experiences. Institutions are concerned with dogma, rituals and the like. That's different from experiences.
I think some people deeply enjoy rituals with incense or music or things like that, or studying in a circle, passing offering plates or folding chairs after meeting etc. They may associate the dogma and rituals with spiritual experiences.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity

Where does that position leave us, if not complete and total solipsism?

At some point, we have to abandon the premise of total subjectivity, because it is neither tenable nor sensical in the context of this discussion. Otherwise, if our experiences were completely apart, then what would even be the point of having this discussion - seeing as our experiences would be neither congruent nor mutually intelligible?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I see my mystical experiences as a gift granted to me, I can not produce them at will.
But once I have had the experience then I "know they are true"; before my experience I "do not know"
So, I understand that others can't accept my experience until they have their own experience, hence no use to share even

Science works "below the mind"
Spirituality works "beyond the mind"
Probably this is the cause of such claims

That might be true, as
Science works below the mind
Spirituality works beyond the mind

Disconnected with scientific reality???
Seems more fair to me to rephrase this as
"Reality that science is still unable to fathom"
@stvdvRF

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In the East, there's a distinction drawn between the mentally ill and those who can have the same outwardness but their internal state is intoxicated with love of God

Besides, there are "salik" pilgrims who have perfectly ordinary speech and behavior. Mentally ill people don't.
I didn't say anything about mental illness.

I was thinking particularly of belief systems that encourage the use of drugs (e.g. peyote) or physical extremes (e.g. prolonged meditation or sweat lodges) to induce "mystical" experiences.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I didn't say anything about mental illness.

I was thinking particularly of belief systems that encourage the use of drugs (e.g. peyote) or physical extremes (e.g. prolonged meditation or sweat lodges) to induce "mystical" experiences.

I took "malfuncting brain" to be synonymous with mental illness.

But as far as drugs etc go, I see no lasting value in "mystical" experiences derived from drugs or extreme practices. In this modern era, at least, seeking after experiences of any sort is a distraction. I can't go into detail without running afoul of rule 6, but I will say that I was left with a very strong belief that what counts is not experiences but whether or not they cause a positive change in one's being which is reflected in action in the world.

AlexanderG

What I found the last 30 years are the experiences themselves are not knowledge producing but life changing. What I see is when a person like myself has a spiritual awakening that came through the gospel and this led me to the Scriptures and that’s when I started to gain wisdom and understanding of life. This also revealed to me where I went off track before that.

This is a good point. I agree that such experiences can be life changing and lead people to improve themselves, feel greater fulfillment, and reach a new understanding. The point we non-believers make is that this has nothing to do with whether or not the belief is true. Only having the belief is demonstrably changing people's lives, not the actual state of that belief being true.

The key issue is that some people will also describe a life absolutely changed for the better when they deconvert from religious/mystical beliefs to an atheistic worldview. Some people's lives totally change when they pick up a new hobby, or change social groups, or take a year off to go backpacking in the mountains. Heck, commercials frequently claim a cleaning product or shoe will "completely transform your life" to invite consumers to buy into this phenomenon. Since one person can go from view X to view Y and dramatically improve, and another person can go from view Y to view X and report an identical positive transformation, this clearly is not a reliable tool to determine any truth value in the beliefs involved.

All the evidence suggests that humans can enter an introspective period during which they evaluate their previous convictions, and then change those convictions to align their beliefs and behaviors more closely with their goals, dreams, and preferences. Then, they feel better going forward. This is a natural and mundane endeavor.

AlexanderG

Maybe an analogy is musicology and musical performance. Without detailed historical sources, people study pictures and limited texts to try to determine how instruments were really played during the Renaissance because they want to play the instrument the way it was played hundreds of years ago.

From that study they arrive at a conclusion based on limited evidence and their best judgement. Others will correctly say that their work is not truly falsifiable because there's no way to prove to a reasonable confidence interval that they are correct.

But you are correct to say there is no 'reason' to believe. There is no reason because reason is not sufficient. If I had the trick of floating in air, it would be reasonable to assume it was really just stage magic.

I don't think this analogy fits. We can look to existing historical records to reconstruct the tempo, pattern, and force that people used in the past while moving their fingers and blowing air. This is fine, and a sufficient description combined with an interpretation based on a comprehensive study of historical music could arrive at a reasonable reconstruction.

A better analogy would be to say that if we reconstruct the historical performance properly, using the correct techniques, we will be connected to an external, real, supernatural force that will cause us to feel a certain way. But no matter how accurately we reproduced the music, and no matter how we felt while hearing that music, there would be no justification to believe the supernatural explanation for those feelings. For that we'd need some additional form of reliable evidence to support this explanation.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?

What do you think?
I think to your original question I would say spiritual experiences are only one thing. A personal moment in time in which you have personally experienced an unusual or even magical or religious (depending on culture and belief system) occurence which moves your view or vision on something meaningful in your path or lifeway. No two persons can ever have the exact experience because they are individual. There can be a set of similar experiences people can have which is why groups are formed to try to classify the experiences.

Does it create or further knowledge of life? I would argue most definitely in creating a totally unique experience which can lead to a deeper understanding of all life. Is it something or some entity outside of our own minds creating these experiences? I would most likely not believe that after having many over the years.

They are wonderful and should not be looked down upon but they also cannot be claimed as some otherworldly event. Imo.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is the only one I might feel vaguely qualified to respond to, given that it does seem so - as to the benefits of having some sort of religious belief. I would only point out that we have had millennia where religious beliefs have been the norm in most societies and hence any alternative structures to maintain communities hasn't had such a start as these. Also, as far as I am aware, it hasn't been proven that humans require such beliefs in order to function. And, as we are also aware, religious beliefs seemingly inevitably bring conflict and/or division along with such beliefs, especially when they do tend to contradict other beliefs or non-beliefs.
Mystics of one religion tend not to fight with mystics of other religions. As an example look up the history of sufism and their interaction with Hindu and Sikh mystics in the subcontinent.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Number 8 supports the position of the skeptic.
For me, religious/spiritual explanations have more natural explanations.
So, I'm not denying that people experience what they experience. To me, they likely have a natural explanation without a need to delve into supernatural ones.
According to my pov, something is supernatural only if its existence directly violates some well tested natural laws. How does the existence of an absolute being/reality that can be experienced during periods of deep internal concentration or certain other special instances violate any well tested law of physics or nature? Can you identify the laws that it violates?