• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Defending the Validity of Religious/Spiritual Experiences

Magical Wand

In a similar vein you do not have to train your outer senses to see everyday objects. But you do have train them to see wildlife, weather patterns, scientific data, stars in night sky etc.

No, I obviously don't. You ignored my previous observation which was that one may train himself to analyze and interpret data, but that's different from actually seeing the data. One doesn't have to train oneself to see it. It seems to me you're having some difficulty understanding this point. Perhaps you're being carried by unskillful and irrational thoughts. ;)

Similarly the inner senses do not need to be trained to see the surface level self, thoughts etc. But you do have to train them to see maths, logic, and the deeper substratum of thoughts, self and consciousness that are classified as mystical. The situation is completely analogous.

"Logic" is just an abstraction; it represents the way the reasoning process works. So, logical and mathematical truths are represented as thoughts in my mind. But I don't have to train to myself to see thoughts in general. I may train myself to focus on some specific thoughts. But that's different from training myself to see thoughts. It is not like I never had thoughts until some point and then "You know what? I'll train myself to see thoughts." That's absurd, sir.