• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dead sea scrolls

Riders

I was trying to find oldest living bible again but brought this up the dead sea scrolls. According tot his article our bible is not the same as dead sea scrolls either. Dead sea scrolls says there were different groups different religions in the bible.

This is an excerpt.
The texts are of great historical, religious, and linguistic significance because they include the third oldest known surviving manuscripts of works later included in the Hebrew Bible canon, along with deuterocanonical and extra-biblical manuscripts which preserve evidence of the diversity of religious thought in late Second Temple Judaism. Biblical text older than the Dead Sea Scrolls has been discovered only in two silver scroll-shaped amulets containing portions of the Priestly Blessing from the Book of Numbers, excavated in Jerusalem at Ketef Hinnom and dated c. 600 BCE. A piece of Leviticus housed in a synagogue burnt in the 6th century CE analyzed in 2015 was found to be the fourth-oldest piece of the Torah known to exist.[5]

Most of the texts are written in Hebrew, with some in Aramaic (in different regional dialects, including Nabataean), and a few in Greek.[6] If discoveries from the Judean desert are included, Latin (from Masada) and Arabic (from Khirbet al-Mird) can be added.[7] Most texts are written on parchment, some on papyrus, and one on copper

Riders

Read this also from the dead sea scrolls. The Jewish folks original had twin Messiahs not Jesus. When Jesus later became the messiah for Jews, it was switched to from being the Jewish Messiah, which is originally where the Messiah idea came from, to the Messiah dieing for the whole world. So originally Christian belief was for Jews only.

Christianity emerged as a development of Judaism, with the key focal point differentiating Christian from non-Christian Jews being the Christian belief that Jesus was the resurrected Messiah.[39] Judaism is known to allow for multiple messiahs, the two most relevant are Messiah ben Joseph and the Messiah ben David. The idea of two messiahs, one suffering and the second fulfilling the traditional messianic role, was normative to ancient Judaism, and in fact predated Jesus.[40][41][42][43] Alan Segal has written that "one can speak of a 'twin birth' of two new Judaisms, both markedly different from the religious systems that preceded them. Not only were rabbinic Judaism and Christianity religious twins, but, like Jacob and Esau, the twin sons of Isaac and Rebecca, they fought in the womb, setting the stage for life after the womb."[44]

The first Christians (the disciples or students of Jesus) were essentially all ethnically Jewish or Jewish proselytes. In other words, Jesus was Jewish, preached to the Jewish people and called from them his first disciples. Jewish Christians regarded "Christianity" as an affirmation of every aspect of contemporary Judaism, with the addition of one extra belief — that Jesus was the Messiah.[45] The doctrines of the apostles of Jesus brought the Early Church into conflict with some Jewish religious authorities (Acts records dispute over resurrection of the dead which was rejected by the Sadducees, see also Persecution of Christians in the New Testament), and possibly later led to Christians' expulsion from synagogues (see Council of Jamnia for other theories). While Marcionism rejected all Jewish influence on Christianity, Proto-orthodox Christianity instead retained some of the doctrines and practices of 1st-century Judaism while rejecting others, see the Historical background to the issue of Biblical law in Christianity and Early Christianity. They held the Jewish scriptures to be authoritative and sacred, employing mostly the Septuagint or Targum translations, and adding other texts as the New Testament canon developed. Christian baptism was another continuation of a Judaic practice.[46]

Recent work by historians paints a more complex portrait of late Second Temple Judaism and early Christianity. Some historians have suggested that, before his death, Jesus created amongst his believers such certainty that the Kingdom of God and the resurrection of the dead was at hand, that with few exceptions (John 20: 24-29) when they saw him shortly after his execution, they had no doubt that he had been resurrected, and that the restoration of the Kingdom and resurrecton of the dead was at hand. These specific beliefs were compatible with Second Temple Judaism.[47] In the following years the restoration of the Kingdom, as Jews expected it, failed to occur. Some Christians began to believe instead that Christ, rather than simply being the Jewish messiah, was God made flesh, who died for the sins of humanity, marking the beginning of Christology.[48]

Riders

No its not, that my whole point our bible is wrong. It doesn't have all the info that the original scrolls did. You left a lot out.It doesn't cut it with me.

Riders

EWE!Your wrong either you lied or are misinformed. The Septuagent old Testament has quite a few Hellinistic Jewish lit in it and also the Greek Old testament.

Both it says are used in most churches and I use to have a Septuagent old testament and my Pentecostal church said it was fine.

Also the Greek Orthodox church uses it. It says that Greek church Fathers of the Greek church used it and approved of it, and the Greek church has a couple of websights that say they believe in studying Greel Philosophy. Tobecontinued

Riders

Not only all that but to be honest in Zen groups weve had when we have Christians usually they are Catholic, Orthodox, United Methodist,Episcapalian, ANglo Catholic etc.

They actually, especially if they are liberal churches tend to not be judegemental about studying other philosophies and other religions for a few of them that are liberal. Depending on the church.

But yes The Septuagent old Testament is a canonnized Bible I use to have one.

This is why I don't feel negative as much about these type of churches as I do like The Baptist, Bible churches, Pentecostal, spirit filled,full gospel,community churches, Nondenominationals, Interdenominational churches.

I think the others are way more sane. Ive htoguht about going visiting a GReek Orthodox or even the Catholics, I went along time ago and they are very interesting.But its a self centered thing to do because I'm not Christian, but I might go visit one of them or the United Methodist one in Mesquite that I like.

Markella

If you don't want to Know don't ask:}
The Dead Sea Scrolls where not complete when the translation occurred. The ones doing the translations filled in what they thought were proper to complete the works. Did you ever hear of the Lost Books of Eden? This IMO is one the greatest "companions" to the Bible. It answered many questions for me in which the Bible raised to mind.

Riders

Oh that's very interesting. That's also the point I was making see, the bible wasn't translated right.Yep thankyou for the info.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Anyways who authored the dead sea scrolls?

Does anyone know, or is it speculative?

Also Kudos for studying things for yourself @Riders . You made some observations I hadn't considered before. I always felt the Bible based on the scrolls was something that was not as people claimed it was. I'm convinced it's a redacted work over time with little or no basis to go on. Other than it being a great archeological discovery, I don't think it's ever been fully compiled and translated to warrant anything past being a window in time personally.

Akivah

Read this also from the dead sea scrolls. The Jewish folks original had twin Messiahs not Jesus.

The Hebrew word for Messiah is defined as "anointed one". There are many messiahs in the Hebrew bible. Every judge and king was anointed.

The word for jesus doesn't appear even once in the Hebrew bible, so that whole matter is irrelevant to us.

roger1440

I do stuff
The Dead Sea Scrolls where not complete when the translation occurred. The ones doing the translations filled in what they thought were proper to complete the works. Did you ever hear of the Lost Books of Eden? This IMO is one the greatest "companions" to the Bible. It answered many questions for me in which the Bible raised to mind.
Rumor has it that there are more Dead Sea Scrolls in private collections.

Milton Platt

I was trying to find oldest living bible again but brought this up the dead sea scrolls. According tot his article our bible is not the same as dead sea scrolls either. Dead sea scrolls says there were different groups different religions in the bible.

This is an excerpt.
The texts are of great historical, religious, and linguistic significance because they include the third oldest known surviving manuscripts of works later included in the Hebrew Bible canon, along with deuterocanonical and extra-biblical manuscripts which preserve evidence of the diversity of religious thought in late Second Temple Judaism. Biblical text older than the Dead Sea Scrolls has been discovered only in two silver scroll-shaped amulets containing portions of the Priestly Blessing from the Book of Numbers, excavated in Jerusalem at Ketef Hinnom and dated c. 600 BCE. A piece of Leviticus housed in a synagogue burnt in the 6th century CE analyzed in 2015 was found to be the fourth-oldest piece of the Torah known to exist.[5]

Most of the texts are written in Hebrew, with some in Aramaic (in different regional dialects, including Nabataean), and a few in Greek.[6] If discoveries from the Judean desert are included, Latin (from Masada) and Arabic (from Khirbet al-Mird) can be added.[7] Most texts are written on parchment, some on papyrus, and one on copper

What is a "living" bible?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
What is the point of this thread? There are more than a few scholarly reviews of the DSS for those seriously interested in the matter. For the remainder - those seeking to pawn off the collection as some coherent canon of new and improved scripture - such scholarship will prove both tedious and worthless.

shrine.jpg