• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dark Chocolate

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Dark chocolate is wonderful. All real chocolate contains chemical mood enhancers, the darker the better (or bitter) in my book. I will often eat Lindt 100% when i can get it.
It can also be an aphrodisiac, though it's more the sensual feel as it melts in your mouth that gives that effect.
OK stop that now, I'm supposed to be working.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
American chocolate is much better than European chocolate. Europeans typically don't even know American chocolate, they just think they do. They based their opinion on the largest selling brands. But American chocolate comes in many varieties and ranges of quality. American chocolate gives you more choices. Yes, some of it is cheap and low quality. But America also produces some of the finest chocolates in the world. American chocolate is as fine as any chocolate made anywhere. And more choices makes American chocolate better than European chocolate.

Only the best American chocolate could be exported to europe, the every day stuff doesn't make the label of chocolate and cannot be sold as such. The hoops to jump through for recognition as chocolate deter the best so it is not exported to Europe.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Dark chocolate is wonderful. All real chocolate contains chemical mood enhancers, the darker the better (or bitter) in my book. I will often eat Lindt 100% when i can get it.
It can also be an aphrodisiac, though it's more the sensual feel as it melts in your mouth that gives that effect.

Around 50% it tastes pretty good. 70% and higher it tastes wayyyy too bitter to me. Nothing afrodisiac when I feel the instant urge to rinse my mouth with Listerine.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Around 50% it tastes pretty good. 70% and higher it tastes wayyyy too bitter to me. Nothing afrodisiac when I feel the instant urge to rinse my mouth with Listerine.
Where is the informative frube when you need it.

I prefer it dark, 50% tastes sickly to me

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
A lot of American stuff is not accepted as "chocolate" in Europe. The percentage of cocoa falls below the threshold for the designation of the term. Instead it is referred to as "chocolate flavoured confectionary." To be fair though, Amercia does make decent chewing gum. ;)

In transport chocolate confection needs temperature controls, and that raises the cost of trading chocolate between countries. Chocolate patents insure that patented chocolate will always cost more, because the chocolate needs both temperature controls and an expiration date.

I make my own chocolate morning drink using pure cocoa powder. I pop it into boiling water, stir well, then cool it with more water and add cream or milk or butter. I also experiment with adding other things such as tahini. Rarely do I add sugar and do not keep sugar on hand.

The difference between that and confectionary chocolate is crystalline structure in the chocolate. Chocolate is a combination of things including a fat. The fat lends chocolate a smooth texture as it melts, however the crystalline structure is fragile and is carefully controlled by heating and cooling the chocolate. Getting the crystals right is the expensive part of the candy. Once good chocolate has melted it no longer can be remade into an equivalent product, as it has already combined with the fat and cannot recombine with the same crystalline structure as before.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
In transport chocolate confection needs temperature controls, and that raises the cost of trading chocolate between countries. Chocolate patents insure that patented chocolate will always cost more, because the chocolate needs both temperature controls and an expiration date.

I make my own chocolate morning drink using pure cocoa powder. I pop it into boiling water, stir well, then cool it with more water and add cream or milk or butter. I also experiment with adding other things such as tahini. Rarely do I add sugar and do not keep sugar on hand.

The difference between that and confectionary chocolate is crystalline structure in the chocolate. Chocolate is a combination of things including a fat. The fat lends chocolate a smooth texture as it melts, however the crystalline structure is fragile and is carefully controlled by heating and cooling the chocolate. Getting the crystals right is the expensive part of the candy. Once good chocolate has melted it no longer can be remade into an equivalent product, as it has already combined with the fat and cannot recombine with the same crystalline structure as before.

Sorry, but what's this got to do with the general idea American chocolate tends to have a lower % of cocoa than European?

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's like saying a latte is a coffee :joycat:

I love German chocolate too, even their milk chocolate is dark! It's probably illegal to sell pale coloured confectionary in Germany!
I do admit to a dash of steamed milk in my quadruple espresso.

There are a lot of french chocolatiers nearby, including one just opened last week that i haven't tried yet. There is also a chocolate museum about an hour's drive away.

Neighbours and good friends, him German, her french spend half the year in Germany and half in France. They usually bring bars of Shogotten and/or boxes of Merci (French name German chocolate) to share out. Nice

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I do admit to a dash of steamed milk in my quadruple espresso.

There are a lot of french chocolatiers nearby, including one just opened last week that i haven't tried yet. There is also a chocolate museum about an hour's drive away.

Neighbours and good friends, him German, her french spend half the year in Germany and half in France. They usually bring bars of Shogotten and/or boxes of Merci (French name German chocolate) to share out. Nice
Oh yes, I've had Merci. Lidl and Aldi here in the UK obviously both stock German chocolate.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry, but what's this got to do with the general idea American chocolate tends to have a lower % of cocoa than European?
And what's that go to do with which dark chocolate brands are available in the UK/Europe where the chocolate isn't dutched and has no added sugar? Double derail!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That varies with the brand.
You'd like 73.5% El Rey Apamate chocolate (from Venezuela).

I find that 95% doesn't tickle me sweet tooth enuf.

Vee

Premium Member
Anyone know which dark chocolate brands are available in the UK/Europe where the chocolate isn't dutched and has no added sugar? Looking for 70%+.

Even if you are looking for dark chocolate, it will still have some sugar. Chocolate with no sugar would be 100% cocoa and it's extremely bitter. As for better quality and not industrially transformed, look for businesses that make their own chocolate. Some even propose workshops. It's more expensive, but so much better.