• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dark Chocolate

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Anyone know which dark chocolate brands are available in the UK/Europe where the chocolate isn't dutched and has no added sugar? Looking for 70%+.
Ohso
Lilys
Villars (i think is best but not sure if it's dutched or not)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Anyone know which dark chocolate brands are available in the UK/Europe where the chocolate isn't dutched and has no added sugar? Looking for 70%+.

I don't know whether Lindt has any non-Dutched chocolate, but I have always loved their (supposedly) sugar-free dark chocolate:

Shaul

Premium Member
European chocolate is better than US chocolate.
American chocolate is much better than European chocolate. Europeans typically don't even know American chocolate, they just think they do. They based their opinion on the largest selling brands. But American chocolate comes in many varieties and ranges of quality. American chocolate gives you more choices. Yes, some of it is cheap and low quality. But America also produces some of the finest chocolates in the world. American chocolate is as fine as any chocolate made anywhere. And more choices makes American chocolate better than European chocolate.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
American chocolate is much better than European chocolate. Europeans typically don't even know American chocolate, they just think they do. They based their opinion on the largest selling brands. But American chocolate comes in many varieties and ranges of quality. American chocolate gives you more choices. Yes, some of it is cheap and low quality. But America also produces some of the finest chocolates in the world. American chocolate is as fine as any chocolate made anywhere. And more choices makes American chocolate better than European chocolate.
It was a joke based on Brick's comment.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
European chocolate is better than US chocolate.
If you are talking about milk chocolates, European milk chocolates taste like powdered milk and US milk chocolate tastes like powdered cheese.
Even some of the US chocolates labeled "Dark Chocolate" (Dark Chocolate M&M's, I'm looking at you} taste like powdered milk, powdered cheese, or both.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Have you tried this the Lindt 100%? If you like dark this is the best (the mere 99% is for wusses. And Americans of course).

Attachments

• B66EB185-7675-4F3E-879C-90E138E33DA1.jpeg
    B66EB185-7675-4F3E-879C-90E138E33DA1.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 44

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
If you are talking about milk chocolates, European milk chocolates taste like powdered milk and US milk chocolate tastes like powdered cheese.
Even some of the US chocolates labeled "Dark Chocolate" (Dark Chocolate M&M's, I'm looking at you} taste like powdered milk, powdered cheese, or both.
There is also imitation chocolate, such as a lot of Easter candy. It burns my throat. I'm not sure why. Perhaps they should mix it with some holy water before it hardens. That might improve things.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you tried this the Lindt 100%? If you like dark this is the best (the mere 99% is for wusses. And Americans of course).
I've not found this in shops. I've only had one other 100% chocolate and it has no sugar but it's dutched. It's available at Sainsbury's tho.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
There is also imitation chocolate, such as a lot of Easter candy. It burns my throat. I'm not sure why. Perhaps they should mix it with some holy water before it hardens. That might improve things.
A lot of American stuff is not accepted as "chocolate" in Europe. The percentage of cocoa falls below the threshold for the designation of the term. Instead it is referred to as "chocolate flavoured confectionary." To be fair though, Amercia does make decent chewing gum. ;)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Why do you want to make your life bitter? :eek:

Dark chocolate is wonderful. All real chocolate contains chemical mood enhancers, the darker the better (or bitter) in my book. I will often eat Lindt 100% when i can get it.
It can also be an aphrodisiac, though it's more the sensual feel as it melts in your mouth that gives that effect.