• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Danish Leader thinks hurting civilians is ok.

Theweirdtophat

It's beyond disgusting. If there's a couple thousand terrorists, you don't hurt 1,000 civilians to get to them? That's the easy lazy way out. It's legally and morally wrong on so many levels. And I know some will say "Innocents get hurt in war all the time." Ok I get that civilians end up getting hurt but sometimes it happens on accident. Just because innocents end up getting hurt, doesn't mean you go out of your way to hurt others. They aren't the enemy.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
It's beyond disgusting. If there's a couple thousand terrorists, you don't hurt 1,000 civilians to get to them? That's the easy lazy way out. It's legally and morally wrong on so many levels. And I know some will say "Innocents get hurt in war all the time." Ok I get that civilians end up getting hurt but sometimes it happens on accident. Just because innocents end up getting hurt, doesn't mean you go out of your way to hurt others. They aren't the enemy.

I understand your sentiment but supposing those terrorists were using the civilians as shields as they walk through the streets shooting other innocent civilians? There really isn't an easy, black-and-white, answer, imo.

Theweirdtophat

I understand your sentiment but supposing those terrorists were using the civilians as shields as they walk through the streets shooting other innocent civilians? There really isn't an easy, black-and-white, answer, imo.

You never hurt innocents no matter what. There is always another way around it. They just haven't figured it out yet. Just imagine the kind of guilt one has to live with by taking an innocent life to get to the criminals. Some will justify that, but that's the thing. There is no justification for taking an innocent life. You try to not take innocent life, not just shrug your shoulders and attack the whole area, knowing full well innocents will be hurt.

Theweirdtophat

Millions of civilians got killed in the Second World War.

Does that make it right? The whole nuke thing in Japan was wrong to blow them up just to make Japan surrender. Why do people think choosing the lesser of two evils is ok? That means you're still pickling evil though.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Does that make it right? The whole nuke thing in Japan was wrong to blow them up just to make Japan surrender. Why do people think choosing the lesser of two evils is ok? That means you're still pickling evil though.

No, it doesn't make it right, but sadly these things do happen in a war.

Theweirdtophat

No, it doesn't make it right, but sadly these things do happen in a war.

They do, but one should not plow through innocents just to get criminals. They aren't the enemy and really it's supposed to be a big no-no in war. That and taking livestock, destroying houses and temples, ect. It happens and it's still wrong but I honestly don't know how this senior Danish member can say this with no hesitation in his voice.

Laika

Premium Member
Even with the most well- intended military campign will kill innocent people. An army of saints would still screw up and make mistakes and those mistakes would cost the lives of civillians. you cannot control every solder or every bullet. there is a tacit admission this is the case that we make war crimes illegal under international law, so that when it does happen they are going to be put on trial.

War makes moral judegments ridiclous. When your trying to kill someone, is there a moral way to do it? nobody won a war by asking nicely. "please" and "thank you" don't really come into it. "good" and "evil" don't either. Even if you kill only people in uniform, your still a murderer and then are asked to come home and pretend like it never happened or that it was a "good" thing.

legal Recognition for war crimes aren't just there to protect civillians, but also to protect solders when they finally come home and have to "re-live" their experiences and come to term with them. A solder may "just" about do that if they say that the people they killed were actually a threat to them or their freinds or their country. War is wrong, but you also don't get to decide whether you fight in one. you're just there. And that's probably all you can say about it.

But to actually seek to kill civillans? war is wrong, but even then there are gradations of wrong and that is "more" wrong than alot of the thing people may have to do in a war.

Theweirdtophat

Even with the most well- intended military campign will kill innocent people. An army of saints would still screw up and make mistakes and those mistakes would cost the lives of civillians. you cannot control every solder or every bullet. there is a tacit admission this is the case that we make war crimes illegal under international law, so that when it does happen they are going to be put on trial.

War makes moral judegments ridiclous. When your trying to kill someone, is there a moral way to do it? nobody won a war by asking nicely. "please" and "thank you" don't really come into it. "good" and "evil" don't either. Even if you kill only people in uniform, your still a murderer and then are asked to come home and pretend like it never happened or that it was a "good" thing.

legal Recognition for war crimes aren't just there to protect civillians, but also to protect solders when they finally come home and have to "re-live" their experiences and come to term with them. A solder may "just" about do that if they say that the people they killed were actually a threat to them or their freinds or their country. War is wrong, but you also don't get to decide whether you fight in one. you're just there. And that's probably all you can say about it.

But to actually seek to kill civillans? war is wrong, but even then there are gradations of wrong and that is "more" wrong than alot of the thing people may have to do in a war.

Well if you're being invaded how are you a murderer if you are defending yourself against invaders? Hurting civilians is not necessary and it is wrong. It's basically just kicking them when they are down which is not needed. This guy thinks it's the only way to defeat the terrorist group and it isn't. It's the easier lazy way of doing it but certainly not the only way.

Jumi

I don't think even he particularly wants to attack civilians, what I read from that was that he wanted to attack targets near civilian facilities where those guys like to hide. ISIS know their enemies don't aim at hospitals or schools so they take advantage of that. That said I don't agree with him.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I'm a little concerned that France has declared war on ISIS following the Paris attacks. Who knows where that will lead.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Why do people think choosing the lesser of two evils is ok? T
Because it's better than choosing the worse of two evils.

If you know a way to defeat ISIS without tons of innocent civilians dying, feel free to describe it. Nobody else seems smart enough.
Tom

Theweirdtophat

Because it's better than choosing the worse of two evils.

If you know a way to defeat ISIS without tons of innocent civilians dying, feel free to describe it. Nobody else seems smart enough.
Tom

I know some get caught in the crossfire although some will plow right through innocents just to get to them which is wrong and you never try to hurt innocents no matter what.

The best way to defeat them would be to figure out how they got started in the first place. Understanding that would not only defeat them but help prevent similar groups from emerging.