• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Culture Wars

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Maybe they are inspired by this guy:
It seems a tough gig.

"Since no biographical information had been included with those singles, few of the 10,000 country fans who came to the show knew Pride was Black and discovered the fact only when he walked onto the stage, at which point the applause trickled off to silence."

- Charley Pride - Wikipedia

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems a tough gig.

"Since no biographical information had been included with those singles, few of the 10,000 country fans who came to the show knew Pride was Black and discovered the fact only when he walked onto the stage, at which point the applause trickled off to silence."

- Charley Pride - Wikipedia
Nonetheless, he did really well despite being black in a predominantly white genre. The next paragraph from the same article...

The show became the first of a long and active career playing to large audiences, his race soon becoming a minor detail compared to his success. In 1967, he became the first black performer to appear at the Grand Ole Opry since founding member DeFord Bailey, who had last appeared in 1941.[17]

Bthoth

*banned*
What? How? Why? Who?

I'll start off with:

Why the heck would a black person want a career in country music?

- ‘Dangerous gatekeeping’: why is country music still resistant to diversity?
There was a time that Eminem was the best rapper.

Yao ming was the tallest man in basketball

and Tiger Woods was the best golfer

The person is not a culture, they are a person just like the rest of us.

And my favorite kind of food is Mexican.

I love the variety of cultures and by growing up in Southern California was raised to appreciate the variety and variations.

IN addition, Ronnie Reagan our governor, was and often still is used as the face of 'Conservative'.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
There was a time that Eminem was the best rapper.

Yao ming was the tallest man in basketball

and Tiger Woods was the best golfer

The person is not a culture, they are a person just like the rest of us.

And my favorite kind of food is Mexican.

I love the variety of cultures and by growing up in Southern California was raised to appreciate the variety and variations.

IN addition, Ronnie Reagan our governor, was and often still is used as the face of 'Conservative'.
I grew up with a best friend that often got racist commentary from her own race. She was a Black girl who was into Goth clothing and heavy metal music, and was often insulted and belittled because she was accused of trying to "act white". Why should race dictate taste in clothing or music?

I think sometimes its taken for granted that culture isn't chosen to any degree. For many, that's true. They accept what is passed down. For others, it doesn't fit, and they seek out something that works better.

Bthoth

*banned*
I grew up with a best friend that often got racist commentary from her own race. She was a Black girl who was into Goth clothing and heavy metal music, and was often insulted and belittled because she was accused of trying to "act white".

Chucky Ray, the older brother of Sean Ray (body builder) was a metal head too. He would get mad when folk tried to belittle him for his choice of music and was so big most would shut up very quickly.
Why should race dictate taste in clothing or music?

No idea but the few that do simply expose their own bigotry and lack of integrity.
I think sometimes its taken for granted that culture isn't chosen to any degree.
Culture is learned, not born into a mind. Race, color and gender are born to a life, not learned or chosen. But those identifying traits do not make a culture.

I see people as equal and do not allow myself to be prejudice based on appearance.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
We love a good success despite adversity story. Joseph Campbell (for better or worse) would tell you it's in our DNA to appreciate such stories. It's why movies like Ray (of Ray Charles fame) are called Oscar bait. And being the underdog is sometimes very good for business, in a high stakes, high reward way. And music is a business. And I'm not saying that out of malice, I love some of those stories too, Hidden Figures being a particular favorite of mine.

But there's just also the simple truism that if nobody tries to change things than nothing will change, and some people feel like they have a better shot to be the change from within than others. Most of them know they're going to make waves, and sometimes those waves capsize their boat.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Referenced in the article:

Sucker punch somebody on a sidewalk Carjack an old lady at a red light Pull a gun on the owner of a liquor store Ya think it′s cool, well, act a fool if ya like Cuss out a cop, spit in his face Stomp on the flag and light it up Yeah, ya think you're tough Well, try that in a small town See how far ya make it down the road Around here, we take care of our own You cross that line, it won′t take long For you to find out, I recommend you don't Try that in a small town Got a gun that my granddad gave me They say one day they're gonna round up Well, that **** might fly in the city, good luck Try that in a small town See how far ya make it down the road Around here, we take care of our own You cross that line, it won′t take long For you to find out, I recommend you don′t Try that in a small town Full of good ol' boys, raised up right If you′re looking for a fight Try that in a small town Try that in a small town Try that in a small town See how far ya make it down the road Around here, we take care of our own You cross that line, it won't take long For you to find out, I recommend you don′t Try that in a small town Try that in a small town Ooh-ooh Try that in a small town