• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Culture Wars

MikeF

Premium Member
What? How? Why? Who?

I'll start off with:

Why the heck would a black person want a career in country music?

- ‘Dangerous gatekeeping’: why is country music still resistant to diversity?

More power to a person of color who pursues a career in the music genre of their choice despite what others may do who are associated with the industry.

If the world-wide white supremacist movements and fascist movements strongly identified with German classical music, making it the soundtrack of their movements, should that impact the enjoyment of Beethoven, Wagner, and Strauss for everyone who does not condone the platforms of white supremacists and fascists?

If someone is raised in the Southern United States, are they to be judged or shunned by all aspects of that culture that they exhibit, from food, vocal accent, dress, as well as music, and for no other reason than accident of birth, because racists in the South also exhibit those cultural traits and preferences? I hope not.

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
Joking aside, I meant why would a black person, or a female, or a member of the LGBTQ+ community want a career in such a racist, misogynistic and bigoted sector.
I see. Apologies if I misunderstood. I guess it depends on the song. I enjoy country music and don't note that there is much of what you've pointed to in the songs I enjoy.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
More power to a person of color who pursues a career in the music genre of their choice despite what others may do who are associated with the industry.

If the world-wide white supremacist movements and fascist movements strongly identified with German classical music, making it the soundtrack of their movements, should that impact the enjoyment of Beethoven, Wagner, and Strauss for everyone who does not condone the platforms of white supremacists and fascists?

If someone is raised in the Southern United States, are they to be judged or shunned by all aspects of that culture that they exhibit, from food, vocal accent, dress, as well as music, and for no other reason than accident of birth, because racists in the South also exhibit those cultural traits and preferences? I hope not.
The music of Beethoven is not political in nature, so how is it a reasonable comparison with the described nature of the country music genre? Beethoven's music may have been co-opted by white supremacists (has it?) but that is nothing to do with the composer himself. He was not working in a field that was antagonist towards him.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I see. Apologies if I misunderstood. I guess it depends on the song. I enjoy country music and don't note that there is much of what you've pointed to in the songs I enjoy.
I have family that listen to it. I also don't notice much trouble within the lyrics, though sometimes the culture surrounding it is noted for some of the issues mentioned.

But if one enjoys it, they shouldn't let people's undesirable attitudes disturb them.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Might that not be career-ending?
Maybe. I think the person would have to be honest about how big(or not big) their name was to pull it off. And it would have to be written in such a way; loving, rather than combative.

But sometimes if one does it and gets away with it, more follow their lead.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Maybe. I think the person would have to be honest about how big(or not big) their name was to pull it off. And it would have to be written in such a way; loving, rather than combative.

But sometimes if one does it and gets away with it, more follow their lead.
Edited my post...

Unfettered

It's not the music itself for the most part, but the industry and fandom tends to have a sizable amount of bigots.
Understood. I guess if someone likes a song, he can just ignore the cultural elements to which he may object? Or not. Depends on the person, I suppose.

Bthoth

*banned*
They don't want to alienate their audience. Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, The Dixie Chicks, and a few others have been branded "traitors" for expressing liberal views.
Liberal views? Evolving to overcome bigotry should be a requirement to be considered American.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Edited my post...
I think that might have been too strong of a move to make the difference they wanted to make.

Have to know your audience and how to speak to them.
They don't want to alienate their audience. Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, The Dixie Chicks, and a few others have been branded "traitors" for expressing liberal views.
But, Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, and The Dixie Chicks are all huge names that still have huge followings. We'll hear the stories about those who were 'outraged', but the ones who listened and quietly thought about it likely won't go on about it in the same loud manner.

Unfettered

The OP was talking about starting a career in the music scene itself and the challenges one would face.
Yeah, I couldn't say. I like yesteryear's country music and wouldn't offer any challenge to a non-white American trying to succeed in the genre. If I enjoyed the music, I'd buy the albums; maybe go to a concert, etc.