• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cultural Appropriation

dust1n

Zindīq
By "offended" I meant, anyone that thinks a person of a different ethnicity or nationality shouldn't participate in cultural fashions, rituals, etc, of another culture. That's racist, and xenophobic.

Oh, no, I just think people shouldn't be clear and obvious douche bags. That's different than participating from another culture. The whole showing up to a party thing in a headdress... not really participating in any particular culture, other than typical douche bag culture.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I see. So, if someone walked into one of your costume parties with black face, you wouldn't think nothing of it? Also, I say it's okay for someone to show up to a party in a headdress. It's also okay to think that person a douche bag for doing so.
Fair enough.

And if someone had the balls(or ovaries) to come to a costume party in genuine black-face I'm not sure what I'd do, other than stare in total, utter awe while chastising myself for not thinking of it first.

dust1n

Zindīq
Fair enough.

And if someone had the balls(or ovaries) to come to a costume party in genuine black-face I'm not sure what I'd do, other than stare in total, utter awe while chastising myself for not thinking of it first.

Especially if that someone was black. I'd be kicking myself in the face for having not thought of that one yet.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
But no one person, or even group, owns anything regarding culture. All culture is learned, and through that it's open for everyone. You are not special because you were born into it.

When there is a long history of custom to a people, it becomes a part of a community identity. I don't appreciate that being ignored.

I have it in mind that the opposite of dysfunction is....well.....dysfunction. The opposite of neo-tribalistic SJWism isn't a free-for-all for everybody without regard, but in that big ol' grey area in between.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I see. So, if someone walked into one of your costume parties with black face, you wouldn't think nothing of it? Also, I say it's okay for someone to show up to a party in a headdress. It's also okay to think that person a douche bag for doing so.
If someone showed up to a costume party in blackface, I would think their costume was a blackface character not trying to be black as a costume.

I just don't see headresses at a costume party as offensive.what I would consider cultural appropriation would be if a guy tried wearing a headdress seriously and coming to a pow wow or the rez. However, I am guessing the type of headdress we are talking about are the warrior head dresses so I would probably just find out who the greater warrior was.

But while I can understand why real cultural appropriation might be offensive to some, I would laugh at someone trying to be serious who didn't know what they were doing. I might even strike up a conversation with them.

With hair styles, I certainly don't care, and find it mildly amusing that someone does care. Certain parts of culture are open. Hair and food are definitely one. I personally believe clothing is there as well, but I could understand why some are upset over specific items of clothing that denotes status. But wearing military style medals because they look cool crosses the line only when someone tries to take credit for feats that they did not achieve.

Beyond this level of appropriation where someone tries to take credit for achievement, cries over appropriation are just another form of elitism.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Especially if that someone was black. I'd be kicking myself in the face for having not thought of that one yet.
Now all I want to see is a black guy in white face pretending to be in bla...

Wait. Isn't that basically Tropic Thunder?

Aquitaine

I see your point, but at the same time isn't blackface a mockery of a certain demographic, and not an actual positive cultural trait?
So a person wearing a headdress (genuine cultural element) is different from someone dressing in blackface (mockery and not an actual cultural element)?

dust1n

Zindīq
If someone showed up to a costume party in blackface, I would think their costume was a blackface character not trying to be black as a costume.

Right, I'd think them a douche bag either way.

I just don't see headresses at a costume party as offensive.what I would consider cultural appropriation would be if a guy tried wearing a headdress seriously and coming to a pow wow or the rez. However, I am guessing the type of headdress we are talking about are the warrior head dresses so I would probably just find out who the greater warrior was.

Right, well it's not really you I'm concerned about offending. It's one thing to offend out of ignorance. Oh, have I done that plenty of times. Sometimes you should probably offend someone who is being an ***. I don't really see how if one of my friends show up to a party in a headdress why I'd find that funny, or clever, or interesting, especially to be doing some sort of Indian impression. Just seems like going out of one's way to be edgy over something that literally matters none at the risk of making people uncomfortable. Could be a fine person, but why I go out of may to see if that be the case. That's a big red flag right there for potential douchebaggery.

But while I can understand why real cultural appropriation might be offensive to some, I would laugh at someone trying to be serious who didn't know what they were doing. I might even strike up a conversation with them.

With hair styles, I certainly don't care, and find it mildly amusing that someone does care. Certain parts of culture are open. Hair and food are definitely one. I personally believe clothing is there as well, but I could understand why some are upset over specific items of clothing that denotes status. But wearing military style medals because they look cool crosses the line only when someone tries to take credit for feats that they did not achieve.

Why? My four-star general costume with three purple hearts is a hit.

Beyond this level of appropriation where someone tries to take credit for achievement, cries over appropriation are just another form of elitism.

Laconic.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Fair enough.
Were I a singer & dancer, I'd consider going to a party in blackface as Al Jolson.

Fortunately for everyone, I neither sing nor dance.

dust1n

Zindīq
I see your point, but at the same time isn't blackface a mockery of a certain demographic, and not an actual positive cultural trait?

So a person wearing a headdress (genuine cultural element) is different from someone dressing in blackface (mockery and not an actual cultural element)?

41h3zKCbaEL._SL250_.jpg

WMU Headdress Indian*
stars-2-5.gif
(2 customer reviews)

Our Price: $14.97

Shipping: Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $35**.

SKU:
In Stock
Availability: Usually ships in 1 business days

*Actual positive cultural trait.
**Buy 2 and get genuine cultural element.

dust1n

Zindīq
Now all I want to see is a black guy in white face pretending to be in bla...

Wait. Isn't that basically Tropic Thunder?

I want to see a black woman pretend to be a white man man pretending to be black man pretending to be a white woman. These are things I can deal with.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Normal person: Hmm, it seems kind of racist to blatantly make fun of someone's race.
Racist: How can it be racist if it doesn't offend me?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Right, I'd think them a douche bag either way.

Right, well it's not really you I'm concerned about offending. It's one thing to offend out of ignorance. Oh, have I done that plenty of times. Sometimes you should probably offend someone who is being an ***. I don't really see how if one of my friends show up to a party in a headdress why I'd find that funny, or clever, or interesting, especially to be doing some sort of Indian impression. Just seems like going out of one's way to be edgy over something that literally matters none at the risk of making people uncomfortable. Could be a fine person, but why I go out of may to see if that be the case. That's a big red flag right there for potential douchebaggery.

Why? My four-star general costume with three purple hearts is a hit.

Laconic.
All of my replies are laconic. It is just that few bother reading that far.

Wearing a four star general costume to a party is no problem either. It is a costume party after all. Though, I would imagine most people have better costumes than Indian and army man, unless they are seven.

But, if they don't, and someone gets in a tissy, that is an issue with the person getting their feathers ruffled.

Prancing around in culturally significant guises and trying to claim cultural meaning to which you cannot claim is where the actual problem is.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
...really? Hold on, I'll start a new thread and ask Jewish people would they'd think about having a Jewish costume for a costume party.
Thinking of some acceptable costumes I've seen....
- Priest
- Nun
- Angel
So why not go as a Jew?
Hmmmm.....I could go as an angry Scottish janitor.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Normal person: Hmm, it seems kind of racist to blatantly make fun of someone's race.
Racist: How can it be racist if it doesn't offend me?
Normal person: wait, so there is actually no intent to believe or show racial superiority? Oh, I guess it is not racist as per definition.

Over reactive person: no, I can make an attenuated argument based on hyperbole and emotional appeal so it must be racist.