• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crucifixion Artwork

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I came across this painting from the early Mediaeval period and can't find its provenance. I'm more interested in what Jesus is wrapped in and why his limbs are different colours.

Anyone?

main-qimg-80687e729477f3d785813279eb76b717.png

amorphous_constellation

Is that possibly from the book of kells... in early christianity, there still was a lot of animal symbolism going on throughout the art , often of these stretched out animal shapes.. Do you see any resemblence between that, and the viking armor (pre-christian?) that appears in this video.. It is covered in a large amount of serpent - like art

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you see any resemblence between that, and the viking armor (pre-christian?) that appears in this video
I can't really :/

But from your Kells suggestion, I learned that this is from the St Gall Gospel, from Ireland.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Jesus looks so sad. He's not a happy camper.

Also, what is that guy holding up to Jesus' mouth? Is that some kind of ancient boom mic?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I still say it looks like he's smiling.
Disclaimer and to my defense, I don't have my contacts in yet.:cool:

exchemist

Veteran Member
I came across this painting from the early Mediaeval period and can't find its provenance. I'm more interested in what Jesus is wrapped in and why his limbs are different colours.

Anyone?

This looks very odd, so much so that I find myself wondering if it is really Medieval.

The proportions of the body are so strange that it looks more like something from one of the c.20th art movements. The curious bandaging is suggestive to me of the swaddling clothes Jesus is said to have been wrapped in, as a new-born infant. Could this be some kind of deliberately mixed imagery, indicating the start and end of his earthly mission?

The figure on the left is giving him the sponge soaked in vinegar, just before he died, and the one on the right is ready to pierce his side with a spear - to check he was dead - when blood and water flowed out.

Where did you get this image from?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
This looks very odd, so much so that I find myself wondering if it is really Medieval.

The proportions of the body are so strange that it looks more like something from one of the c.20th art movements. The curious bandaging is suggestive to me of the swaddling clothes Jesus is said to have been wrapped in, as a new-born infant. Could this be some kind of deliberately mixed imagery, indicating the start and end of his earthly mission?

The figure on the left is giving him the sponge soaked in vinegar, just before he died, and the one on the right is ready to pierce his side with a spear - to check he was dead - when blood and water flowed out.

Where did you get this image from?
It's 8th century.

Irish Gospels of St. Gall - Wikipedia

Heyo

Veteran Member

Anyone?

It's not Jesus.
Sankt Hulpe – Wikipedia

Sorry, there seems to be no other language version but German.
"Saint Help" is a "peoples saint", not officially recognized by the RCC.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It's not Jesus.
Sankt Hulpe – Wikipedia

Sorry, there seems to be no other language version but German.
"Saint Help" is a "peoples saint", not officially recognized by the RCC.
Thanks for this.

I don't speak German but that article seems to connect Sankt Hulpe with the Volto Santo in Lucca, which is described here as a very early wooden crucifix, dated radiometrically to the c.7th: Holy Face of Lucca - Wikipedia

This seems to have either come from the East, or been influenced by Byzantine styles of depiction of Christ:

"The iconography of a completely robed crucified Christ wearing a colobium—an ankle-length tunic—is more familiar in the East than in the West, although a near life-size Crucifixion, carved in the round, is contrary to Byzantine norms.[7] Life-size crucified Christs were more common in Germany from the late eleventh century, following the Gero Cross of Cologne Cathedral of about 970, which seems to have been the prototype. The long robe may be a Byzantine influence, although many Western examples also exist, in Ottonian illuminated manuscripts and other media."

So the plot thickens. We may at any rate have an explanation of the long robe, if that's what it is meant to be. Funny that Irish monks, in Switzerland, may have been influenced by Byzantine artistic conventions. And we think globalisation is a modern phenomenon.....

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for this.

I don't speak German but that article seems to connect Sankt Hulpe with the Volto Santo in Lucca, which is described here as a very early wooden crucifix, dated radiometrically to the c.7th: Holy Face of Lucca - Wikipedia

This seems to have either come from the East, or been influenced by Byzantine styles of depiction of Christ:

"The iconography of a completely robed crucified Christ wearing a colobium—an ankle-length tunic—is more familiar in the East than in the West, although a near life-size Crucifixion, carved in the round, is contrary to Byzantine norms.[7] Life-size crucified Christs were more common in Germany from the late eleventh century, following the Gero Cross of Cologne Cathedral of about 970, which seems to have been the prototype. The long robe may be a Byzantine influence, although many Western examples also exist, in Ottonian illuminated manuscripts and other media."

So the plot thickens. We may at any rate have an explanation of the long robe, if that's what it is meant to be. Funny that Irish monks, in Switzerland, may have been influenced by Byzantine artistic conventions. And we think globalisation is a modern phenomenon.....
I find it interesting that the Wiki article on these Gospels also says:

The Latin text of the Gospel of John is a representative of the Western text-type. The text of the other Gospels represents the Vulgate version.[1]

and

The manuscript itself offers no precise information about its place of origin. On page 265, however, there is an entry in a Carolingian minuscule that possibly dates back as far as the second half of the 9th century, apparently imitating the Irish script.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It's definitely Jesus. It's artwork in the Gospels.
Together with the sponge and the lance one should think so. But when they are knowledgable of those attributes, why depict him wearing clothes, contrary to the gospels and earlier depictions? On the other hand, veneration of St. Hulpe is known from the high and late medieval period.